Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Boots with Decent Soles.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not really looking for touring boots, but on my last few of trips I've found myself walking up the hills more often than before.

I've currently got a pair of the old translucent yellow Sally X10's with zipfit liners and a booster strap worn under the front cuff, these mods make them a bit stiffer than standard and they feel OK to me - even Warren Smith hasn't hacked bits off them in search of ankle flex wink

However, a couple of years ago I had the soles ground as part of an alignment job. This left them with a toe and heel insert that is totally flat. They're even skiddy when walking on the flat - never mind when trying to haul my sweating bod over a couple of steep steps. This lead to a "fun" moment last week, I can tell you!

I've noticed that F*ckwork Chamonix show the Garmont Shaman as an alpine boot, and it has what appears to be a pretty good vibram sole. But are there any other contenders?

Cheers

Marc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lange Banshe, we have vibram units that will fit any modified plug shell, so not too much of a problem there
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the sole units from a banshee as SMALLZOOKEEPER can be modified to fit most boots....... depends on the thickness of the plates tat were put on for the canting work.... atomic race plates also have a little more grip than the average
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll check this evening, but I think the plates are only 2/3mm thick. Is that good or bad?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my Atomic M90s have good grippy soles on them. Even the bit between the forefoot and heel has grips on it. I'm pretty sure the newer Hawx have a grip on them too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, there's not a lot of thickness available to rout back on the X wave, the lange plates are probably 6-7mm, an atomic 3mm plate may be a compromise in that it is not slick
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc,

You want to be careful with Vibram and bindings.. I run my Endos with the ISO sole for Dukes atm. The weight of the Vibrams sole is noticably heavier... Shocked

Looks like new boots...Laughing wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, the sole pads on the banshee are a din sole, then just have some vibram grip sections on them, making them a good half way option, there is a flat section for binding release
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT wrote:
Looks like new boots...Laughing wink

No one tell the wife.

You haven't seen me. Alright! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The lange are 7mm and really can only be put on the Plug boots due to the construction of the Binding Lugs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or just stick a lightweight crampon in the sack.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa wrote:
Or just stick a lightweight crampon in the sack.

Good plan. Any recommendations?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, they measure 4mm as it happens, but I don't know if that helps.

Scarpa I hear what you say, but how long does it take to get them on?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, would the Banshee units fit a set of dolomite rages with teh carbon rod soles?

http://img1.iwascoding.de/1/2009/02/23/D982A69C5358424C8EDE8A40F6CC8D75.jpg

Mosha Marc, all of 10 seconds if the heel lever clears the back of the boot. Assuming skier competence, that is. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, grivel G12 is the answer to all crampon questions. What was the question?
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
Mosha Marc, all of 10 seconds......Assuming skier competence, that is. wink

That's him screwed then wink
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, comprex, I have old Grivel 2Fs, I reckon my CM mono points might be a touch of overkill Laughing

They clip in almost the same as ski bindings but you have to force the rear lever up then wrap a strap round. Takes a few seconds for each foot. Great on ice, snow, rocks etc. And a damn site better on neve... you can front point instead of kicking steps.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
comprex wrote:
Mosha Marc, all of 10 seconds......Assuming skier competence, that is. wink

That's him screwed then wink

Sadly true Embarassed
snow conditions
comprex, Nope.
snow conditions
Looking at the Vibram site, it seems they do supply to Rossignol as well, so is the shortlist; Banshee, Shaman and B-Squad? Any opinions on these three and how they compare against each other?
latest report
Mosha Marc,

Suck up and get rid of those yellow things they call boots wink

You're 30 mins from Chamonix...
snow report
Mosha Marc, I had a look at the Grivel G12 crampons in S&R today & I think that Scarpa has the best solution. The soles on my Atomic's are well treaded, including the bit between the toe & heel pieces, but they easily become clogged with snow effectively making them smooth. Vibram is softer so maybe it works better in this respect(?) but all the touring boot guys tend to have crampons as well so why not straight to crampons?

Or, for a cheapskate solution wink, what about just using Cat-Tracks? Dirt cheap so worth a try.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc, I had a look at the Grivel G12 crampons in S&R today & I think that Scarpa has the best solution. The soles on my Atomic's are well treaded, including the bit between the toe & heel pieces, but they easily become clogged with snow effectively making them smooth. Vibram is softer so maybe it works better in this respect(?)

A tread filled with snow has more traction in snow than a plastic tread of any shape. The snow filling the treads forms cohesive bonds to outside snow under downward pressure, the cohesion resists lateral or rearward shearing when the other foot steps. The only reason car tyres don't use this principle is because any given contact patch is not on the ground long enough, and the cohesion would only make for extra rolling resistance loss.

Other than the risk of cutting oneself or ones' trousers (and chillier feet) nothing wrong with having crampons. Don't forget the anti-clumping plates.
I really wish Black Diamond would bring back the old Attack Pack, with the axe slots and crampon slot right there on the outside.

Cat Tracks are nylon and tend to get rigid, inflexible, and rather lacking for traction in really cold snow. The lug cover bits snap and get torn esp. if you try to front-kick steps. They are really for hard surface.
snow report
comprex, Cat Tracks are not nylon.
snow conditions
rjs, you are correct. Urethane.
snow report
comprex, Spot on... anti ball plates are a must when walking in soft snow. If you have a pie-cutter frame (like the 2Fs) they will ball up very quickly.
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
......A tread filled with snow has more traction in snow than a plastic tread of any shape. The snow filling the treads forms cohesive bonds to outside snow under downward pressure, the cohesion resists lateral or rearward shearing when the other foot steps....

Thanks for that. Good to hear that I should be ok on my Atomics then. Mind you, I don't really do walking.
snow report
spyderjon, stick a brush or scraper on your pole for when you want to click back in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, unless considering ice and technical mixed climbing as well, you may be better off with something like the G10 - lighter and less chance of tripping due to slighter shorter front points which given the general clumsiness of ski boots will make life easier.

For all things crampon, this gives a good overview: http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Crampons_32.html
ski holidays
Do the crampomatic ones fit the front of alpine boots?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, I don't know but they are not recommended for ski touring if that is any help plus you might struggle to find people stocking the Cramp-O-Matic. The New-Matic are easy to use even with thickish gloves after a bit of practise and stay put without adjustments once on. The up size is that the G10 are also a good choice with stiff walking boots (B1/B2) so great for winter hill walking and mountaineering here in the UK between ski trips.

Check out the crampon section here http://www.grivel.com/ for recommended applications
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, check this out: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12032

I'll give it a go on your boots if you're up for it.
latest report
spyderjon, I saw that too. Not too sure how badly it effects the release of a normal alpine binding though.
ski holidays
Glad to see he was wearing a helmet for some of the more dangerous phases of his project!
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
spyderjon, I saw that too. Not too sure how badly it effects the release of a normal alpine binding though.

They reckon none providing you have a sliding AFD, which sounds logical to me. The din's easily checked/adjusted if you have a torque testing machine wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy