Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trousers for touring suggestions please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Looking for ideas on what to wear on my legs for 5day touring trip.

Any suggestions welcome please.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a pair of mammut soft shell trousers. Afraid I don't know the product name, but i got hooked on mammut softshell gear whilst summer Alpine mountaineering, the Base Jump and Champ were the ones I use for climbing and have used for touring as well, but the ones I've got for touring have an internal gaiter and a crampon resistant resistant ankles, windproof, water resistant, breath quite well.

Any softshell is good though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are you looking to use them only for this trip or in the longer term too?

What type of base layer are you using? - Merino wool is good for regulating temperature and doesn't pong like other man-made fibres.

Do you prefer trousers with a belt or braces?

Do you have a budget?

Breathability is important for ski touring and eVent performs better than Goretex in this area

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4432
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fuego, I have a Decathalon base layer, and then a Goretex shell with full length side zips. When skinning up, the zips get undone (or if it's really hot shells come off), to regulate temperature.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fuego, Theta SV are about as good as you can get and agree that full lenghts zips would be ideal... for either venting or taking off on the hill over boots etc...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, yep, those Decathlon base layers offer excellent wicking at boogerall price.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs prog99 wears paramo aspira trousers if thats any help?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fuego wrote:
Hi,
Looking for ideas on what to wear on my legs for 5day touring trip.

Any suggestions welcome please.

Where are you off too?

The location and temperature there is relevant to the gear you will want to wear. Having done a fair bit - including a recent stint in Norway at upto -30 in a base layer and lightweight windproof trousers i can honestly say that if you over do it you wont enjoy it half as much.

I have worn and can recommend the following:

Mammut Castor and Basejump Trousers
Mountain Equipment Stretch Trousers and Combin Trousers

There are also a number of other variables that will influence your choice of clothing:

Capability of the group, your personal fitness, distance between huts, projected speed en route, terrain (vertical and downhill) to be covered. Therefore if you envisage a slow and easy route then you might need to include those extra layers!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most people get too hot, very few too cold during the days. Plas y Brenin http://www.pyb.co.uk/information/skiing/ski-techniques-and-terms.php do an excellent summary of kit and what to expect. A good down top like a liteline or patagonia instead of fleece is better - as it can be used at night for warmth during sleep to really save weight and bulk. I use ME Guides or later in the spring another set of ME's that I principally use for summer climbing. ME are great because they have good wind resistance/breathability/weight ratios.

I think Matricks make a really good point though. If you are in an unknown group and might spend a lot of time waiting around then the temperature fluctuations will be closer to Alpine Skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whoops, wrong link http://www.pyb.co.uk/information/top-tips/ski-tips.php
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy