Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekends

Poster: A snowHead
I have used the search but returned 23000 posts!

Looking for information on going skiing for a long weekend, I've recently come back from Val Thorens and have truely been "bitten by the bug" as it were.

I can't really take another week off work this year so was thinking on a weekend, any ideas on where I would be likely to get accomodation? Most places seem geared up for the Saturday/Saturday timeframes.

Cheers, snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a lot of private chalet owners do long weekends at reasonable prices............. look close to Geneva and if the transfer is longer than an hour keep looking!!

If you need more help let me know!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sirius, Try Dave at Gravite in La Cusaz http://www.gravite.co.uk or I stayed here a few years ago http://www.ski-chalets-chamonix.co.uk/. But there are probably loads of snowHead s with alternatives Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any day arrival 3, 6 & 9 day breaks in catered chalet accommodation in Les Coches, Paradiski (can sometimes do 4 nights depending on availability) 3 nights = £99 - £139 (with supplement of £30 for Fri & Sat nights) catered chalet accommodation with Geneva transfers at £12.50 per person each way. http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/short-break

Tignes Spring Skiing Special Offer - 3 nights catered chalet accommodation INCLUDING Geneva transfers £79!! (supplement of £15 per night for Fri & Sat) http://www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/tignes---spring-short-breaks (some rooms subject to supplements for upgrades).

Email joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net for further info.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sirius, weekends historically have not been tour operator territory,we've always gone DIY. Don't worry accommodation will not be a problem, there are loads of options but it does require a bit more leg work than you may be used to, don't let that put you off.

Our weekend formula goes something like this:

First step get a core number of people who are of a similar mind, pick your cheap flights, a vague idea of what area you're going to helps at this stage but its not essential to have final destination worked, out more important is knowing you've got good options within reasonable driving time.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/ is very useful for working out what's in striking distance of where as is Where to Ski guide. Generally a transfer time of less than 2 hours is OK, less than 1 ideal.
Picking flights is pretty obvious - late out and late return is best to minimise time off. Bear in mind late out + 2 hours transfer can mean 1am in resort.

Second, after you've got your date and flights sorted e-mail all the less reliable and indecisive mates the flight details and let them sort themselves out. DO NOT INCLUDE THESE PEOPLE IN STEP 1

Third, count up number who've actually got flights (ignore all ditherers - they can sort themselves out) and get some accommodation. Don't get too stressed about this, a lot of hotels don't release rooms for weekends until fairly close to the travel date (less than 3 weeks), this year may be a bit easier than usual. There are chalet options as others have said but we've always done the hotel/self catering thing. Resort websites, tourist office, google ...loads of ways to find rooms, get e-mailing. MGM apartments are always a favourite, easy booking system over internet, they operate in quite a few french resorts (Les Carroz a favourite). If you're arriving late in resort be sure to warn the hotel.

Fourth, book hire car(s). Pay the extra and get chains if not in the standard package, its not worth the risk. If you want ski racks these can sometimes be a problem to book through internet especially if using middlemen like holiday autos . If there's any doubt phone up. Also watch out if booking more than 1 car over internet on a single credit card, this can be interpreted as an error and you arrive to find you're one car short - happened to us once, best pick up the phone.

Other top tips - eat before you fly , chances are you won't be able to get food anywhere when you arrive and you won't care if there's a bar open.
If you're given any sort of security code to get late entry to your accommodation get it e-mailed. We had an unfortunate misunderstanding over the phone once caused by the pronunciation of "A" and "8" and couldn't get to our beds on the first night once.
Don't get hung up on going to mega resorts, you won't be able to clock up a huge mileage over 3 days so give serious consideration to smaller places.
Don't forget weekend skiing is about maximising slope time you may have to forego that shower before leaving resort.

Good places
Flaine/Les Carroz/Samoens via Geneva (<1hr)
Flims/Laax via Zurich (<1-1/2hr but good late flights)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 28-02-09 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

+ 2 hours transfer can mean 1pm in resort.

Good post, (pedant note: I think you mean 1am).

Thanks for the tips re. accommodation. Flights are usually cheaper more in advance you book them, with the other way around with accommodation. I have always worried about booking flights and not finding anywhere to stay, so have ensured they are booked together. Might be a bit more relaxed about this in future.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sirius, outside of the peak weeks (half terms, xmas, new year etc.) most hotels will let you stay for periods shorter than a week.

I've done quite a few weekends now, and tend to do things by numbers.

1. Get your prefered dates.

2. Check flights for those dates and check it isn't Johnny Foreigners half term.

3. Shortlist one/two/three resorts you like the look of.

4. Set up an accomodation availability/price request email (with translation to local lingo via google/bable fish etc)

5. Logon to resort tourist information website(s) and ping off email to any place that takes your fancy.

6. From one of the positive replies, choose one & ask to hold rooms.

7. Book flights & confirm bookings with hotel.

8. Logon to arrival airport website and find out which car rental agencies are there, trawl links for best price.

9. Watch webcams on daily basis and start new threads about likely snow conditions/best eateries/how to pay most for spag bol et al.

It's really fast and easy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rich wrote:
Bear in mind late out + 2 hours transfer can mean 1pm in resort.

I must say I'd thought that he meant EARLY out + 2 hours transfer + delay for a sprinkling of snow can mean 4pm in resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sirius, I have recent successful weekends in the following resorts;

Cervinia
Davos
Morzine
Villars
Verbier
Scheffau
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did my first ski weekend this January to Flaine, and could not really fault the place. Yes, it's not the most picturesque place in the world, but this is more than made up for by the convenience to Geneva, and straight out onto the slopes in the morning. We stayed at the Pierre Vacances apartments, and they were top notch for a group.

That all said, I have just booked up for the April deal with Mountain Sun in April. Long transfer, but the fact that they are priced in with the accommodation mean it’s a very tempting price. Also - had lots of good reports back from other snowHead about Mountain Sun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Course, if you're feeling hardcore Sirius, and have friends to share the cost and driving with, you could go for the overnight drive option. (You haven't noted your location, so if you're too far north this might not be an option). With the tunnel it's easy to get to dozens of resorts in time for lift opening, ski for n days then drive overnight to be back in time for work the next day. Beaucoup du cafe and don't operate any machinery Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How many folk going for weekends take their own skis? On one hand, it saves faffing around with hire shops = more time on the slopes, OTOH it means paying relatively more for the privilege of transporting them if you're going by 'plane (vs. the hire cost for a few days). One advantage of driving.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul-B, I've done both - prefer my own skis (no charge on BA and Swiss). In Tignes the mountainsun chalet does in house ski hire, so not such a faff.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replys.

The driving option is interesting - I'm in the south on the Surrey/Hampshire border Dover is not too far away by road. Funny you mention this as the journey to Val Thorens with all the waiting around and coach transfer, more waiting. I worked it out that driving would have taken around the same time. Would have made for an interesting 'Top Gear' style race.

Will start planning a weekend early April I think, just have to convince the friends to come along. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sirius, Calais to the Alps is a 7 hour drive if you're being sensible, very easy not dramas etc etc etc....

We did have a weekend this season where co-incidentally 2 groups of clients both lived in/around Birmingham.....

One group were driving the other flying............... both left at exactly the same time........ the group driving got home 1st!!
ski holidays
Driving is certainly viable even living here near liverpool. Done the trip a few times now and typically 12hrs from home to Chamonix. The drive home is clearly the worst because you've nothing to look forward to . However, if doing it in one stretch overnight as I have done it is tiring even if you have several drivers. Each time I'v drivien there have been 3 or 4 in the car each of which takes it in turns to drive every couple of hours.
ski holidays
Sirius, If driving, check the distances and times for travel because some of the nothern resorts are further and take just as long as the Oisans - because of the long mountain roads as opposed to motorway nearly to resort. I was very surprised to find that we're only about 20k further than Val d'Isere for example. If you have, say, 3 drivers it would be fine. Very Happy
snow conditions
I just got back from 3 days with Mountain Sun, staying in Les Coches (La Plagne). I can't recommend it highly enough. The 3 days cost £330 including flights, transfers, accom, HB food, lift pass, gear hire (or flight carriage), so everything except lunches and evening beers. The chalet was good, the food was good, the chalet was 20 metres from the piste and 5 minutes walk from the village's bars.

Those that rented MS's gear had top spec equipment in perfect condition (eg X Wings or Burton Custom 09 with Cartels) for £10 a day.

We are booking for a longer stay with MS next year.
ski holidays
bar shaker, That seems like a bargain Cool
latest report
Ski Amade via Salzburg, Resorts are 35-60 mins from the airport. Taxi transfers can be pre-arranged for approx £20 a head each way.
snow conditions
Im contemplating a long weekend some time in april

£330 sounds very manageable

ah il need to come back to this thread with a clear head and consider all the arrangments....
snow report
rich wrote:
Sirius,
Don't forget weekend skiing is about maximising slope time you may have to forego that shower before leaving resort.

i flew home in my salopets this year!
ski holidays
We're going with Super Travel to St Anton Sun- Thursday. they have some good last minute offers at the moment.

Although I have to say MountainSun were great when we went in December 2007 to Tignes.
snow report
have a read of 'white weekends' if you're interested in booking a ski-weekend.

definitely a good book on how to do ski weekends with some less obvious resort choices too..
snow report
Take the Ryananir Stanstead Thursday night flight to Turin and get the Monday night flight back, 4 full days with only 2 days off work. Try Flexible breaks, they do Montgenevre and Sauze with free transfers.
snow conditions
I've got a deal on... but you have to find it through facebook to make it more fun!...
Join the snowhead group.... and then see if you can find the 'real' me... good luck (it's worth it!)
ski holidays
Check that our flat is free. Book the flights and hire car. Go.
Or, don't as the piggy bank is empty Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy