Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pic du Jaillon - NE Couloir

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week while I was skiing at Arvieux with my little boy I spotted a line on this peak that I wanted to ski. I couldnt find a topo for it and the locals think it hasnt been skied. So Hubert and I headed up to have crack at it.

It was quite tricky to find a way through the lower rock band and we ended up farther right than planned, finding little gullies like this

Coming out of which we spotted another couloir rising steeply above us, so we decided to have a crack at that instead.

It was quite steep at mostly 45 and rising to 50 for the last 100m. The very last 10m was to rocky to ski so we scrambled up without our skis.

The descent was perfect hard chalky snow, Hub giving it some tele action

before picking our way through the bottom again

more pics and a google map here
http://alpinebreak.com/2009/photo/pic-du-jaillon-couloir-ne/

Cheers

Phil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cracking series of pics. that climb at the top looks pretty exposed and scary, especially without ropes. good to see though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
how was the hike up?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hiking up steep slopes - the reason why chairlifts were invented!! Smile

Wow! Looks like a mega-hike. Scarily steep - bet the views down were amazing and the thought of knowing it was a fresh line was awesome I bet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philingle, great stuff - I always look forward to your pics!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
as always lots of respect - go on how many metres did you climb
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great stuff, that's a brave made dropping the knee in there Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

how was the hike up?

Not bad, mostly stiff enough snow not to be swimming.

Quote:

go on how many metres did you climb

There was 1125m of ascent. 500m was skinning, then 625m was boot packing. It was a 3.5 hour round trip.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great photos, I always like hearing about somewhere new. Lot's of respect to you for the effort it took to get to the top of that. Must have been a fun run down. It look's nice Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philingle, I found that my old Grivel 2F grampons fit great onto a ski boot. I need to get my skills up and start skiing some decent terrain. Very inspiring photos.... a beautiful day out.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Grivel 2F grampons fit great onto a ski boot

So do my Grivel G12's which were at the bottom of the sac. I did regret not getting them out once I was half way up this rocky bit, but by then it was too late.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philingle, I've done that on climbing walk ins way too many times Laughing My ski boots have very slick soles, not suitible for walking at all really.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy