Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste queries

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So 3 weeks to go to the trip to Espace Killy. Booked a beginners course with Alpine Experience, now for the questions,
1) Will the k2 recons with non touring bindings do for the first few days or should I hire big planks straight off?
2)Mrs Psycho is ahead of me in terms of off piste (as in so many other ways) she wants to buy a transceiver, are 3 antennae now essential/ the best bet, don't want to seem miserly where safety is concerned.
3) Mrs P tells me that the way to ski off piste relies less on edging more on "swivelling" or has this lost something in translation?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) stick with what you know
2) no idea
3) let Alpine teach you....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, sorry to have wasted your time Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PsychoBabble,

1) stick with those skis until you see the condiitions... and the standard of the group. Review it after day 1...
2) the newer type likes the S1 and Pulse and more foolproof...and you are looking at £300 a pop.... see what they give you and how you can use it...and let that give you perspective on the newer models.
3) Too much movement or fighting the skis will have you over as soon as you can spit... you want to be riding the natural flow of the skis...you will have to direct the ski, but most new starters put too much into it this and turn out of the fall-line too quickly..this will ask a lot of your balance over the skis...and again a fall is on the cards. You want to match up your speed with the terrain and make gentle adjustments...so a swivel of sorts could come into it here...but if the snow is heavier..you will need to accentuate that swivel a bit more and then that opens you up to be unbalanced...
Don't really like the term of swivel here tho'...

The best tip I think, to get going, is to pick a good pitch...so not too steep to tense you up..., bend/flex the knees/ankles..however you need to do this...to get your knees over the tips of your boots, thereabouts.. and drive all turns from this solid position...hence the swivel motion... you don't need to go up and down so much on modern skis in decent snow, so retain that good stance over the fronts and let the skis turn you rather than you turn the ski...

If you get fresh snow then any old turn will do..almost...it is when the snow gets heavier that you need to adjust everything..but a good position throughout will stand you in very good stead..IMV

As kitenski says really.... you have booked the course, they will cover 2 and 3.. and you might want to be on a familiar ski on day one.. New skis takes a bit of time getting use to them... Recons are no longer ideal for deep snow so if you have that then hire fdatter...but at least you know what to expect from the Recon to start with... Example, if it is tricky for you on day one....what will you look at.. new skis or new skills..???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PsychoBabble:
1) If you can then visit the Alpine Experience office in Jean Sports the night before your first day's skiing. Have a chat with Christina about what skis etc you need, she is an excellent skier but not a teacher or a guide. You will often find one or more of the guides in the shop and they should be happy to advise you. For a beginners course your skis are probably fine, although I have no idea of the characteristics of your skis. So what kitenski said makes great sense. Depending on snow conditions Alpine Experience may like you to have touring bindings and skins. So talk to them beforehand, ideally the night before.
2) All the Alpine Experience guides have transceivers to lend to their clients. So no need to buy before you go. Have a look at http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/ and go to one of their introductory avalanche awareness talks. Also go on one of their transceiver training sessions.
3) Once again, kitenski said it better than I could.

I have skied many times with Alpine Experience and had a great time. I am sure you will to.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, Adrian, sensible and informative, thank you both snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PsychoBabble wrote:
kitenski, sorry to have wasted your time Laughing

I was being serious, IMHO, you will get more out of time on the mountain listening, watching and copying Alpine Experience, then you will from an internet site.....

IMHO part II I sometimes think over analysing on such sites causes more issues with people tensing up, trying the wrong things etc etc.

I'm sure you'll have fun, you've picked a great location and company to ski with.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, No worries, we had been blessed with fresh snow last week and as we were floating through the powder (ok, as she was floating...) she was explaining what I SHOULD be doing.
I was genuinely asking re the skis,Adrian, dealt with that, the rest was idle curiosity/bragging that I was off again in March! Blush
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy