Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Lech worth the price?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about a shortish (5 day) break in March and reading up on it Lech, (well actually Oberlech) seems to tick all the boxes specifically:

AUSTRIA Madeye-Smiley

Cruisy Blues for me and Mrs Axs to play on

Nice hotels, right on the slopes

Reasonable transfer times and flights

Good snow (hopefully).

However, the resort seems to have something of an 'Exclusive' image which often to me is synonymous with 'expensive', and can imply 'full of hoorays'.

So what's the truth - is it worth a visit? any must see's, and will there be plenty of DJ Otsi? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't been there since about 1967, but I have warm memories of the place and its slopes. It's always enjoyed the exclusivity of having a ski shop called Strolz, famous for custom-making ski boots:

http://www.strolz.at/english/gesamt.htm

So, that shop's worth a visit! My Dad had a pair of Strolz custom leather ski boots at one time. I think they were the last he owned, before the revolution in plastics.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, Nice website, did folks really ski in boots like those old leather ones? looks like a recipe for a sure fire broken ankle to me Shocked

Anyway I suspect the place may have changed just a little since 1967, so a more recent update would be welcome Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Love the place, that is how skiing should be done, Austria has it nailed IMO.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It isn't as expensive as many people think although the "exclusive" title is something the people who live in the resort like! I've stayed in the main town in reasonable B&B (Frühstucks Pension) and had a great time. If you are in Oberlech with a good package then you are well placed for ski-in ski-out at lunch time. I miss not being able to stop on the pistes in some restaurant or Hütte to have a coffee or hot chocolate but the variety offered in resort is more than adequate for all tastes really.

If you want to ski the other areas on the pass you have to ski down to the village to pick up the transport usually, which can be a pain. Same goes at the end of the day when coming back from Stuben, Zurs or even St Anton for the truly adventurous Laughing

I'm trying to remember which of the Austrian pre-Herminator racers has a great hotel in Oberlech - Patrick something or other I think. Nice guy and nice hotel too.

Sue wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And heated chairlifts Smile

Visited it for the day from St Anton and found it pleasant enough.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, Thanks Sue. So would your vote be for ski-in ski-out Oberlech or for better connected Lech?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
prog99, Had heated chairs in St Johanne, and (from memory) at Wengen. Nice when it's very cold, but strange when it's not. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman, Have been going to Arlberg since 2003 and rarely venture from it. Have stayed at Hotel Montana in Oberlech the last 2 years and we love the place. Oberlech has a really nice feel to it. Arrive at cable car and your luggage is taken from you and then trasported in underground tunnel system and arrives in your bedroom (skis in boot room) whilst you wander to your chosen hotel. The skiing is really nice cruisy blues and cracking snow record. Brilliant toboggan run from Oberlech to Lech which has its own snow cannons and piste basher. The place oozes quality, the staff are always really pleasant, helpfull and polite. Even the lift staff are pleasant and slow it down for kids etc. Most of the chairlifts are heated. The food is top notch and the food we had at Montana was best food I've ever had. So it is quite expensive to stay at hotels but surprisingly not dear once out on slopes - gulaschsuppe will set you back €4-6 and a beer €4. Samerberg Sue, is referring to the Montana and it's Patrick Ortlieb's family hotel. His parents run it and he wanders about overseeing things - more than happy to pose for a picture and sign autographs www.montanoberlech.com
We would go back in a minute to Montana and did want to go for our family trip again this year but my income down significantly so we're off to Stuben instead - just along the road. I would rather stay in Oberlech as you've got doorsetp skiing and the cable car runs till 1am anyway, so you can always venture down to Lech for a night out, although we've never done that. Usually go to St Anton with the boys and we go at least 2 times during the week to Lech.
I've never found any hooray Henry's. Generally well healed middle aged Germans and Dutch with a few more Russians coming - tend to keep themselves to themselves. Overall though the clientelle are very down to earth and chat away to you on chairlifts etc. You'll also find that something like 90% of the visitors that go there have been before.
The only downside is a lack of tree lined runs and (if you take Oberlech out of the equation) there is a lack of mountain restaurants - although the ones there are all excellent. I suppose there is a lack of shops although the big Strolz shop in the main street could keep you occupied for an hour or so - got a pair of Strolz boots made last year - fantatstic.
Can't recommend Lech/Oberlech enough
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boabski, Thanks that's great info. Looking at the hotel Petersboden at the moment, but will have a look at the Montana.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just got back from another week in Lech, amazing snow!! I work for a ski company and always request to go back to work in Zurs/lech - that was my 6th week there.

I'd definitely recommend Lech, if you're wiling to pay a little more. It isn't as exclusive as you would think, yes it's a little more expensive than other resorts, but you get a lot more. The village itself is really pretty, there aren't any highrise buildings so its a picturesque austrian village. The ski hire as mentioned is fantastic. Our company gurantee guests lift queues no longer than ten minutes so you won't have to wait for ages! The skiing area is huge, with lech, zurs and st anton in your liftpass. They offer over 100km of powder runs - amazing! I obviously can't tell you what the snow will be like at easter, but last week they had to close all the roads in and out as it snowed so much (hasn't happened in at least 10 years apparently...) and xmas was their best snowfall in 26 years, easter last year there was plenty of snow, 4.5m at some point i recall.

In terms of getting between villages its pretty easy, during the day their are free buses running every 10 mins ish between lech and zurs, i think they are every half hour down from oberlech. You can also ski between lech and zurs quite easily. Getting to st anton - free bus from lech/zurs to a chairlift that will take you up the mountain allowing you to ski down to st anton. If you just want to get a bus there i think its about 5 euros and its fairly frequently, although the last bus is at 6.30pm, after that you need a taxi, which are reliable but a bit pricey.

Oberlech is great for ski in ski out. you will miss the initial busyness of lech when all the ski schools meet in the morning and jump on the same chairlift. buses stop gong back up there from lech at half 11, so oyu would need a taxi after that, although the oberlech cable car is free with a lift pass until 1am and that is just a short walk across the snow from oberlech village. lech would be much more convenient for bars/restaurants and cheaper options - defo recommend hotel elisabeth's bar downstairs for cheaper drinks. and Charly's for pizzas. if you did stay in lech though, anywheres only really a 2min walk to a chairlift in the end and you've got the convenience of all the shops.

any more questions give me a sohut but id def recommend it!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Axsman, Petersboden in equally as good position, if not better. www.oberlech.com is good for finding hotels and their positions. http://city.intermaps.com/oberlech/index_header.asp?mapart=_WIN&lang=en Seriously doubt that you would find bad accomodation in Oberlech whichever you choose. Hotels Ilga and Sporthotel Cresta are 3 star hotels in great positions too if you're wanting something a bit cheaper. What airport are you thinking of flying to. Innsbruck best - just over an hour away
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Axsman, was there a couple of years ago.
be warned it is expensive and run off at the end of the day gets very busy.
We had great snow and enjoyed a week there. Lessons we also good.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?thumbsonly=0&perpage=24&cat=686&ppuser=&thumbcheck=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=&way=&date=
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lech is like a poorman's St Moritz.

It is really not that expensive.

Thanksfully, Lech's elite perception keeps out the pikeys.

Which means the town is civilized and the powder goes untouched for days.

Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gem_89, Thanks for the info and recs. I think Oberlech sounds like the place for us (on half board, eating out isn't much of an issue) snowHead

boabski, Great link thanks a lot. We are planning to do Ryanair from Stansted to Friedrichshafen (Germany) as timings are good and transfer distance is about the same as Innsbruck.

rob and sharon, Nice Pix!

Whitegold, Well provided they let me in, 'untouched powder' has a nice ring to it Laughing
snow conditions
Axsman, Friedrichshafen is a great wee airport - will take 10-15 mins to get your luggage. Take train to Langen then taxi - 5-10 mins away or Ryanair do a coach transfer at weekends, which waits on the Stanstead flight - no others. Hire car fine too. I've done coach and car to Lech and St Anton respectively and were OK but as travelling on Saturday we got caught up in big queues at tunnel at Austrian border. Have taken train from St Anton to Friedrichshafen and it's fine but you do need to change twice - but trains efficient as you would imagine. If travelling outwith peak weekends the road is probably quicker. St Anton website good for train times etc http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201
snow conditions
Lech is a great place with a wonderful atmosphere - coming off the last run of the day to a bar in the high street with live music and dancing - well swaying - in ski boots! A few fur coated ladies with little matching dogs tucked under their arms - but generally very little posing and a very friendly feel. Our favourite lunch stop is the terrace of the Burgwald at Oberlech. Also recommend the Formarin on Blue 62. Bus service is frequent and reliable. Also flown into Friedrichshafen and agree with boabski.
ski holidays
Axsman, I believ that Lech has the worlds highest population of B2 skiers Very Happy

Why not try Zauchensee for somewhere different. It does have a couple of blacks, but they can be easily avoided wink
latest report
boabski, Thanks again - great info.

Janska, "coming off the last run of the day to a bar in the high street with live music and dancing - well swaying - in ski boots!" Sounds like Bliss - what AUSTRIA is all about!

Frosty the Snowman, Think I'll fit right in. Madeye-Smiley Got the trusty B2's out for a play in the powder at St Johann, week before last. They were GREAT!, performed well on the (beautifully groomed) pistes too. I have returned to the B2 fold, and am one happy bunny!

BTW - How did the mojo perform?
snow conditions
I'm off there March 14th - thanks for all the info folks and Axsman for starting the thread. I'm B&B, anyone got any other restaurant recommendations in Lech?
snow conditions
red 27, As I've only been HB to Oberlech we never had to eat out for evening meals. There is a pizzaria at the Oberlech cable car on Lech main st - stopped off there a couple of nights after toboganning with the kids for a post sledge beer - the food did look good. Would highly recommend a visit up to Oberlech and to the Hotel Montana for a meal - can't imagine it would be cheaper than €50 per head but seriously good food. Most of the restaurants are hotel based. The more reasonably priced restaurants will be in St Anton and Stuben. If you're there for a week I would imagine that you will need to venture off to St Anton anyway to experience the Mooserwirt, Krazy Kanguruh and Picadilly - dead easy to get back to Lech from St Anton. A taxi will set you back around €45 or there are free buses.
Off to Stuben with family on Saturday Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
boabski, Thanks - all points noted, and enjoy. I'm off to Davos on Thurs, conditions look optimal and we are both forecast sunny skies Very Happy
snow conditions
Restaurant-wise i can offer a few suggestions:

Oberlech:

Alter Goldenerberg - Michellin Star restaurant, only had fondue there, was amazing, really nice atmosphere, but very pricey!!
Hotel Montana also highly recommended, but still pricey - all hotels at oerlech are quite pricey to eat in - there is a self-service restaurant called Salome which is good to take kids to and more reasonably priced.

Lech:

Charlys - good pizzas and other things like ribs at reasonable prices
Enzos - good for pizzas, opposite oberlech cable car so good for lunches
Schneider - never been but we always recommend it to guests
Haus 8 - restaurant we always recommend for fondue but gets very busy
Balmalp (not sure if oyu spell it like this!) - its just down from the top of the Kriegeralp Chair lift and has amazing views from its terrace over to Madloch and down to Zug - had pizzas there last week, drinking wine and watching the avalanches across the valley. pizzas took less than 5 minutes to get there!

Zurs -
Hotel Arlberghaus - nice for lunches, 2 mins from chairlift
Flexenhaus - on run number 10
Thurners Milchbar - awesome milkshakes

St Anton/Christoph:

Hospiz Alms - amazing ribs! and a slide down to the toilets!

APRES SKI - woop woop - in Lech i would reccomend Hotel Krone and Pfeffers, which are both on the main street Smile
snow conditions
Axsman, We are in St Anton from 1st to 4th. If you are there then let me know. Lech is expensive! Skiing is awesome.

R
snow conditions
Terrible place horrenously expensive. wink No chavs please. Go to Bulgaria - you will be at home. Twisted Evil
snow report
Lech is OK, but for real skiing try the Lecht - excellent value for money !

http://www.lecht.co.uk/
snow conditions
gem_89, brilliant - thanks. snowHead Very Happy
latest report
Biggest problem with Oberlech is that you compare all other resorts to it, and few can compete. Highly recommend it, if you get a good package, my funds don't quite strech that far at the moment, but, like Arnie....i'll be back
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't Lech highly enough.... expensive, especially with the £ at the mo.... but will satisfy all your requirements and some...
snow conditions
Thanks to all for great info.

Have now booked from March 14th, Staying in Oberlech at Hotel Petersboden. Snow conditions look fantastic (just hope it stays that way). Flying Ryanair from Stanstead to Freidrichshafen and getting connecting shuttlebus to resort. Looks like it's all sorted with one minor detail still to be clarified.

Return flight is at 10.00, so check in at 8.00 so leave resort at 6.00. have booked private taxi through mytransfer and they have confirmed 06:00 pickup. However the gondola down from Oberlech doesn't appear to start until 07:00 so this could pose a bit of a problem Shocked

Oh well worst case we'll bloody ski down! Madeye-Smiley snowHead

Counting the minutes and glued to the webcams, I particularly like the snow reports on the lech-Zurs site 'Perfect Powder Snow"

Laughing
ski holidays
Enjoy my favorite lunch & sunbathing spot. Very Happy
snow report
Axsman, Underground tunnel system so you'll be fine - taxi can come up. Are you getting the taxi all the way to airport? If so do not use local taxi companies - much more expensive. I was quoted over €120 more each way for this years trip. Try companies based nearer Friedrichshafen. Taxi Kroehlli? (based in Klosterle) are apparently cheaper. www.innsbruck-taxi.com may be useful too.
Word of warning about the snow report on the website - tourist office spin sometimes - although there is no question that there is tonnes of powder just now. The boys I normally go to St Anton with are there just now - snowed all the way from Saturday to Tuesday and snow conditions amazing. Lech was even cut off for a while Shocked Like Dublinfella, says, once you've been you'll be hard pushed to find somewhere better.
I'll do a wee report when I'm back from our trip.
This website is also handy for some background info http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/
Enjoy the trip
snow report
boabski, Thanks. Booking is with Loakertours.at and cost is €185 from Lech to the airport. That looks identical to the innsbruck taxi link you posted so I assume it's about right?

They said they's pick us up at the post office in Lech which is 'next to' the gondola, but I have queried it since the gondola won't be open. If they can come up through the tunnels then so much the better Laughing
snow report
Update - just had email from them (very nice man called 'Mario') who said their driver can come up through the tunnels and pick us up - Wunderbar! Sorted.

15 days and counting...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
nice one, hope you have an awesome holiday! went to friedrichshafen the other week, felt like i was in a bit of a shed when i arrived, but realised they were doing work and you will find your probably the only people there so no chance of lost luggage that end anyways, u made the right choice over flying to zurich which i usually do. got my fingers crossed my company are sending me back to zurs/lech around the 20th Very Happy
x
snow report
gem_89, Cheers!
latest report
Axsman, thanks for starting this thread, I'm reading with interest as I'm heading to the Klostertal/Arlberg area via Friedrichshafen for a 3 day trip next Wed 4th Mar. Hope to drive up to Zurs/Lech (if the roads are open) for one day at least.

I don't possess a fur coat or a lap dog so will probably lower the tone of the place. wink Though, it seems from this thread it isn't as snobbish as it's reputation would suggest. I think I'll like it! Smile

By the way, anyone know where's best to park a car (for free, near a lift)? My research suggests the car park as you enter Zurs is a good spot, beat the rush from Lech on the Weissering too.
snow conditions
the one in zurs is the only free one apart from one at the far end of lech which isnt right next to a lift, so id go for the one in zurs as its next door to the trittkopfbahn and lift pass office. feb ht they were parked along the road as it was so busy, id still get there early but should be ok at that time of march Smile have a great time!
ski holidays
Thanks for the info gem_89, really looking forward to it. Very Happy
snow report
It seems that the usual online ski hire companies don't operate in Lech - which makes me rather nervous as to the cost - can anyone shed any light? The one quote I got was an eye watering €165 for 6 days!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy