Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's apres ski?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, polite answers only please Very Happy I went to Austria twice last year and the best time of the day (for entertainment, forget the skiing) was 4-6 pm when the schnapps was flowing and the cheesy music was turned up loud. Dancing in ski boots leaves a lot to be desired but it seems like a good idea at the time... Everything stopped at 6 and everybody went back home - and according to the party goers amongst us (not me, I was enjoying my dinner and a bottle of wine) didn't seem to go out again! They said the clubs were empty. We were in Schladming for one week and Maria Alm for the other.

So, the question is, when people refer to apres ski do they mean the bit in the evening or the late night stuff?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Usually the time in the casualty ward.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Usually the time in the casualty ward

I've done plenty of that - son with a broken shoulder one year, nephew with pulled leg ligament the next, same nephew with injured thumb the next, husband with kidney stones last year. Makes me wonder why I go - must be something to do with the skiing Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
apres ski, for me, is roight after skiing. I then go home, shower, eat and fall asleep. You sound like you've got the hang of it very well... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes. I always thought that apres ski was French for sleep. Beer tastes better with ski boots on anyway. A lot of otherwise expensive bars do a Happy Hour between 4 and 6 when beer is half price. But then I'm too old and boring to party anyway. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Bishes are in agreement on this one, a mug of cocoa and brandy at 8pm and straight to the land of Nod is my tried and tested method - isn't it sad getting old and past it.... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sometimes Apres-Ski can carry on for hours, with dinner, shower, etc, being just momentary interludes - often depends on the resort and the company wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In France it always seems to be the other way round....the bars are pretty quite early evening and liven up later on! I like the Austrian way myself, I'm so pooped I fall into bed too early to go out partying!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sue S, technically, apres ski is exactly what it says on the tin. After ski. Anything you do after skiing is apres ski. The actual practice of apres ski depends on individual taste and resort culture.

French resorts you usually get a least a few bars of a nightclubby kind open till the wee hours as per Paris. Of course there's always an influx into the bars after liftclosing, and then a general emptying of French resort bars circa 7-9pm while all the Brits go off for dinner at their chalet. And a similar resurgence in the bars from 10pm onwards (i.e. after dessert). I've yet to ski Austria, but I've heard about the 4-6pm chugalug culture. Quite looking forward to some later this season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda,
IMHO Austria has some of the best apres ski. Who needs to go out later when you can have your fill by 6 or 7?
Actually, Embarassed I had to be kicked out of my bed one day last season to go into St Anton for dinner at about 7.30. I had hit a friend's bar at about 4 and had been sampling his home-brew. By about 6 I was a goner. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite right - Austria for IMMEDIATELY apres ski, France for late evening apres ski. Switzerland, well - all the time if you know the locals!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apres ski - 1)wander in to bar straight off the slopes
2) drink beer
3) tell strangers what a blast the day was
4) Repeat 2.
5) Repeat 3 but MUCH LOUDER
6) Repeat 2 and 4
7) go back to hotel
Cool shower
9) Sleep
10) Eat huge amounts
11) repeat 2-6
12) Sleep
Repeat entire pattern daily for duration of stay Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, thank goodness I know the locals Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where did you go last year Brian T, I think I met you!!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm along the lines of Brian T's thinking.

but with the following points: must include vin chaud and/or bombardinos immediately after skiing (at top of last slope, sat in the sun ideally) and games of table football in the evening. Winning against the locals/seasonaires at table football instantly awards god like status and bragging rights for precisely one year. Silly cocktails are optional but not obligatory (oxymoron).

Les Arcs used to have a boarder park where you could stop at the bottom, sit in a deck chair, drink a pint of vin chaud, listen to their cool sound system and watch the Boarders doing their cool stuff. Cheering was reserved for any particularly spectacular wipe outs.

Sauze has the little hut after the funnel on way down from Pian della Rocca for Bombadinos.
ski holidays
NickW,
Quote:

Sauze has the little hut after the funnel on way down from Pian della Rocca for Bombadinos.

Bar Clotes - good also for the vin brulee at the end of the day Smile
snow report
In Val Thorens, it involves standing in the street at 5am and joining your mates for some ritual chanting and animal impersonations every night. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Roy, last year (and this Christmas and end of Feb to come) went to wengen, but flaine the same, Zell also. Must be the altitude, or perhaps the attitude which makes me sleepy after large beers.

Wengen is ideal for that kind of Apres Ski. Anything else, at my advanced age and depth of wisdom, is just tooo exhausting.

The Alpenrose is ideal for my kind. DG also is a very wise person!. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy