Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this any good (Warren Smith)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I seen this when I was in town today and was thinking of buying it to see if I can get any tips:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-Go+Ski+-9781405316170.html

Here it is again on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Ski-Warren-Smith/dp/1405316179/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235337867&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dont know, but The All Mountain Skier by Mark Elling is very good. Its a book not a DVD also available on Amazon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure... it isn't the ones I have seen so don't know if this is newer stuff or older..

I think his DVD series has some good things in them but it would be up to you to be able to enact them and it depends how you learn...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, The Warren Smith DVDs ( without book) are good for reinforcing simple messages and basics. Perhaps get them instead of a dvd/book deal?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree with stoatsbrother. I've got some of the Smith DVDs, which are very useful. I also have the snowboarding version of that Dorling Kindersley ski book and although the DVD is good (very good, actually) I never look at the book.

Rick Schnellmann's series is also excellent - much more "step by step". You need to work at it, and it's not flashy, but it's effective if you stick at it. The Phil smith DVDs are enjoyable but there's not much help in how to get from where I am to where Phil smith is - or even to progress in the right direction.

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Your_Ski_Coach_Home.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have 'Go Ski' by Warren Smith and it's not the best IMHO. I got it when I was only just moving from snowplough turns to paralell and think it tries to cover far too much ground in one go. He goes from learning to snowplough to skiing switch in less than an hour and nothing is done in enough depth to really learn much! Some of it is very technical (and I'm not techie averse) and I found that I only really understand a lot of what he's talking about after I've actually learned how to do with a proper lesson. He is very fond of cambers and centrafugal stuff and misses out on the 'don't sit back' basics. The books looks well but is pretty much a copy of the DVD - one or the other would be enough. I do watch the DVD before going on hols though because it gets me in the mood!

I've also got 'The All Mountain Skier' and this has all the detail that Warren Smith is missing. There are numerous drills on each skill to practise and there's plenty about kit which I found very helpful as I still seem to know very little about skis themselves. The black-and-whiteness of it makes it a bit dull by comparison to the vibrancy of Smith's presentation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy