Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Supermarket and restuarant between Geneva and Grand Bornard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just realised we will be arriving at Geneva 11am and sons tummy will be rumbling not long after we leave the airport.

We need to stock up at a supermarket, and the idea was that with a car we wouldn't need to rely on the resort supermarket for the 'main' shopping (which I will only do once) so I would prefer to do this en route (assuming we have room in the car) rather than have to make a trip out of the resort.

We've been to France a lot in areas like Calais, Vendee, Dordogne and Loire where there are big hypermarkets that also have cafeterias, mc d type places or takeaway pizza which would do for a snack en route, but I am guessing this might not be the case in the mountains?

Also, we are arriving on a Sunday will the supermarkets be open?

Any advice on a good place to stop for either/both lunch and shopping?

If we get a quick getaway from the airport then in theory we could have lunch at the apartment and then go back to a supermarket, but I wouldn't want to rely on that - especially on a Sunday, and I REALLY REALLY don't want to miss any skiing to do food shopping. So if its not gonna be possible to stock up on Sunday are there any nearby super/hypermarkets with late opening?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Also, we are arriving on a Sunday will the supermarkets be open?

Not the main ones such as the Migros in the Etrembieres Centre at Annemasse (which would otherwise be my recommendation, where there's also nice snack food). The whole shopping centre is shut on Sundays. I don't know the shops near Le Grand Bornand, but some of the ones in the Arly Valley are open Sunday mornings and someone might know of one not too far away which is open on Sunday afternoons too. You could send a PM to loatie, who has an apartment there - she'll know.

Resort shops should be open, possibly with an extended closed lunch "hour". It amuses me that our supermarket is called "8 a Huit". I always think it should be called "8 a Huit sauf midi jusqu'au quinze heures"

I'd be inclined to pack a snack for a hungry boy - you might otherwise waste some time finding one, and you won't want to buy much at the airport.

Generally the supermarkets will be open till around 1930 - some maybe later.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Spar in Chinaillon (just up the road) was open until 7.30pm every day (was there yesterday) so if you really need stuff when you get there, it is available.
We drove the whole way. I'm sure there are supermarkets on route (Bonneville must have one) but we were concentrating on getting there in time to pick up skis on Saturday so were not paying too much attention.

There was stacks of snow - hope you have a great time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Guys - looks like I will be going 'after ski' on Monday... the whole point of hiring a car was to not have to rely on a Spar - last year in Samoens the Spar-type place was pricey enough and that was before the £ crashed!

Christine
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimom, It's a little out of your way and I'm not sure it's open on Sunday afternoons (it is Sunday mornings) but SuperU Passy might work.

Ah, no, closes 12h00 sunday http://www.superu-passy.com/portailu/local/pg_d_sysu_accueil_accueil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats a shame - I lurve SuperU's own brand chocolate cluster breakfast cereal! would have stocked up to take home.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hubby said - what about stocking up in Switzerland - having just read that the exchange rate makes it much more attractive. Is that feasible? I would imagine they have the same trading hours?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

they have the same trading hours?

and habits. not sure you'll find much open on a Sunday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup... looking more and more like we are just gonna HAVE to ski on Sunday afternoon... what a shame...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I second pam w's suggestion of going to Annemasse
The main points are

(1) It has one of the biggest hypermarket in the area, between Generva and Sallanche (bottom of Chamonix)
(2) There is a cafeteria which open everyday. Some French cafeterias can close the hours between the lunch and dinner time
(3) It is on the way between Generva and Grand Borrnard, just the junction before you have to pay toll. The Centre de Commerial is visible to any car on A40. It is almost at a walking distance from the A40 motorway.
(4) It has a huge car park, free as usual in France.
(5) I am not sure of the business hour of the hypermarket inside there but if it is closed then you won't find them elsewhere between Generva and Chamonix. I believe on Sunday most close early but not their attached cafeteria.
(6) If you are really stuck you can try the main road from Annemasse to Geneva. Before crossing the border there are some small Indian and Chinese supermarkets (in a shop) that open longer hours.

While we ran the mobile home in Chamonix we got most of our shopping in Sallanche but Annemasse has more and better choices.

I don't think prices in a French hypermarket can be beaten by the equivalent in Switzerland. In a resort and up the mountain where choices are limited to the skiers then it is a different matter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On sunday the whole of the Etrembieres centre is shut, including the cafeteria areas (of which there are several). Can't quite remember about the McDonalds outside - that may be open if you're desperate!

The only time I tried shopping in the Swiss supermarket near the airport it was grim. Expensive, disorganised and poor choice. One thing I did get was a bargain huge pack of toilet rolls which lasted forever. But the cafeteria in the same building is excellent - good choice and value, and quite long opening hours (can't remember the name, but it's just a mile or two from the airport on the road past the long term car park towards the motorway. I think it might be where the new car hire building is, from descriptions on snowheads).

Switzerland can be a fairly closed place on a Sunday. We drove across the border into Geneva once with a puncture. We'd changed the wheel but weren't keen on embarking on the autoroute home without a spare. When we asked the border guard about a tyre repair place he was very cross with us for even suggesting such a place might be open on a sunday in Switzerland.

I'm not sure I could be bothered to drive back to annemass from LGB.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

On sunday the whole of the Etrembieres centre is shut, including the cafeteria areas

Must admit I can't be certain of this one.

I had skied in Chamonix valley but ate every dinner in Sallanche, regardless of Sunday or not. Thus I assume the same should happen to the Centre de Commercial in Annemasse. When travelling I always try to eat at the cafeteria in the Centre de Commercial situated at the ring road of the big cities but could not recall ran into a closed door. The cafeteria does usually shut in between the meal times though. The cafeteria inside the Annemasse commercial centre is not part of the hypermarket so it is possible that it has insufficient customers to warrant opening of building.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi guys

Thanks for all the advice. In the end we did a splash and dash at the Spar on the first day - no way would we have wanted to pay those prices all week! we then went to the Champion in Thones on the Monday evening. Prices were comparable with the UK even given the cr*p exchange rate - some things were even cheaper than at home!

We were lucky that we had a big fridge and had a brainwave about buying ready to heat bread - we thought the Spar was too far to walk from Outalays and we never did find the bakery that was supposed to be nearby.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad to be of help Little Angel Little Angel

Can't wait to be back in a couple of weeks - hope you had a great time
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a great time.

I'd love to go back first week of the Easter hols... have three problems...

1. DH has no hols so it would have to be just me and the kids
2. Our passports run out on 12th April, they pointed out on our return trip that they were about to run out.
3. Money - not sure I can justify a 2nd Ski holiday
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy