Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy blues needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

Just returned last night from Folgarida in Italy. Snow was amazing. The resort is incredibly small - with only one bar and one pizza restaurant, so definitely not the place to go if you want to dance the night away. To be honest though, the place was fine cause we just stayed in the hotel and mixed with other guests etc and flopped into bed exhausted.

So yes, overall the place was good but I am definitely not! I have really embarrassed my husband and everyone else in the group think I'm the biggest moaning idiot around! I dropped out of ski school on day 2 cause I felt so stupid. However, some improvement has been made since then. I did actually manage to get down the blue run that goes from the mid station down to Folgarida (instead of getting the gondola), despite the pain. It did take me a long time and I can't say I took in the scenery much but I managed it in control. My problem is not with the control, it's with speed. I just don't like going fast, or dropping off, what looks at first like, the side of a cliff! Because everyone thinks I'm useless, I really want to try and prove them wrong and get over my stupid fears. I want to build on what I've learned so far but if I leave it till next year I know I'll forget everything again and be back at square 1!

I am thinking about booking a few days away with a friend, preferably out of school holidays but can only do Thursday to Sunday. Obviously need to book lessons and go to a place that is VERY easy.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions from you very clever people who can ski without even thinking (I'm sooooo jealous)!

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi piecroft, welcome to Very Happy heads! First of all, dont give up, the first few days are always the hardest as you probably spent a lot of time falling over and trying to get back up again, I know I did, and this saps your energy, it does get easier!!I think the fear of speed that you have is because you cant stop properly,once you can master that you confidence will soar! Before going back out to the mountains, why not try a few lessons in a snowdome where the terrain is much flatter, and ther are no mountain edges to distract you! I took my very nervous dad, then 65years old for his first lesson to Zell am See where they have a very gentle blue run after the gondola up, and he happily skiied this all day and went back down on the gondola at the end of the day.Flachau also has some nice and wide pistes which are great to build confidence, good luck, dont give up it is a wonderful sport!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nianderou, austria. everyone seems to say that is a confidence builder
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne, loads of motorway blues (wide, long and cruising). Heaven.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DAB

Thanks for that. I'll look into Zell am See. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Libertine and HH

Thanks for suggestions - will definitely look into these.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Libertine

Just done google search on nianderou, austria but got no results - is spelling right?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
piecroft wrote:
Libertine

Just done google search on nianderou, austria but got no results - is spelling right?

Niederau I think...

Whatever you do book some private 1-1 lessons with a good instructor - once you've chose your resort then ask on here and get some recommendations...that'll help you gain your confidence and go at a speed that suits you, not the rest of the group...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett

Thanks for that, yes I have found websites with info on this resort now. I will definitely book 1-1 lessons -thanks for the advice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
piecroft, have you thought about going to one of the indoor snowdomes for some lessons first?

definitely no cliffs there, and once your technique improves you will be less scared of the edges.

That being said, if you are scared of edges then be warned it might never get better - I've skied about 20 weeks in all and can manage most reds and easy blacks (albeit without any grace or style) but give me a green 'road' with an edge and I am back to snowploughing. My kids think its hilarious!

Last year in Samoens there was a piste between Samoens and Morillion/Carroz that had a 'drop off' on either side (I think called Pierce Neige). It was slightly uphill so really you had to let go to get up it... I just couldn't do it, ended up pole punting, and actually that was worse because it prolonged the agony - even though I was pole punting I was sure I was going to fall off or be knocked over. Felt so stupid (so see, you are not the only one, it happens to us all) and after that made hubby look for alternative 'routes' so that we never did it again. My 7yrs old on the other hand, looked at it, tucked and screamed 'yeeha' all the way.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As HH said, La Plagne would be perfect for you. Lots of lovely gentle blues and great confidence builders. Definately go for the private instruction but also - have faith in yourself, you can do much more than you think you can! snowHead Is there a snowdome near you? Might be worth a couple of hours invested there, would probably help with the confidence issues. Good luck!

Welcome to snowHeads (and your new addiction!) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My vote is for Cervinia.

I am a recovering edge-hater. Thankfully, I've just about passed the phase where I automatically start to snow plough at the first sign of a 'cliff' on a narrow road - especially ones with bends. I still get the heeby jeebies but now that I'm a better skier, I know it's more in my head and that I do have the skills to tackle it safely. So it can get better.

Anyway went to Cervinia this Christmas, probably a little late in my skiing career because I kept thinking 'Why didn't I come here in my second or third week?!'. You could easily ski all week and never come across an edge. The blues and even the reds are big wide open slopes with no hazards between them. You can get the sense of exploring a big area without the terror - highly recommended! Yummy food, reasonable prices, no queues; can't go wrong IMHO.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like Cervinia should be top of my list for next year!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
piecroft,

You should never feel stupid for ensuring your own safety. Others can do what they like but if you are not comfortable you simply slow down to a speed you feel safe.

Injuries sustained in skiing usually have some permanent effects after recovery. It is simply not worth to have any of them. Before you can ski fast you must learn how to slow down, to turn and to stop whenever necessary. The speed will come as you pick up skill.

I always look at it as a matter of practice. If you have more chance to practice you bound to improve. Therefore you will become a good skier after you have put in a few more seasons but at the mean time don't compromise your safety. It is always better to be injury-free to enjoy more number of years of skiing than have it cut short by a mistake in taking chances..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definately have some more lessons. Also I remember someone telling me to never think about going down the slope but go across it then turn, across it then turn. As you get more confidence you will start to go straighter down the fall line.
snow report
I think Passo Tonale is one of the easiest resorts I've been to. Even the black runs there weren't that scary...
snow report
Any of the villages round here St Gervais/Megeve/Combloux/Les Contamines would qualify as giving you the ability to 'get around' without scaring the wits out of you and ESF here in St Gervais are pretty good. Another alternative is Les Deux Alpes and while no-one can call it an 'easy' resort it does have an ace up its' sleeve in the form of our very own Easiski who, and I can personally vouch for this, is brilliant with those who find fear overpowers them.
ski holidays
piecroft, how about one of the courses run by Inspired to Ski? http://www.inspiredtoski.com/courses/womensweekends They do 3 day Women's Weekends, or 3 Day Performance, and there's one on 21-24 March in Morzine - they do level 2
Quote:
You are confident to ski easy green and blue runs but steeper, icy or awkward sections on Blues are tricky.
ski holidays
Thanks for suggestion of lessons at snowdome - have already had a full days lessons at chill factor though that was last year. Will probably go back and have more! Think I may just be a lost cause! Thanks for all suggestions so far - really appreciate your help - will let you know what we decide to do! Cathy, Inspired to Ski looks like a great option - and would definitely do it, only dates are for Sat - Tues - I work Mon - Wed so can't do that - thanks for the idea though! Saikee - thanks for the advice - appreciate your comments and I will try to carry on. - you're right would definitely prefer to be injury free! Thanks again everyone.
snow report
Quote:

if you are scared of edges then be warned it might never get better

I'm afraid that this is right; my brother in law loves skiing. He'll never be very good, largely because he refuses to take lessons, but he can get down red runs cautiously and always enjoys himself. Till there's an edge. Then his fear (which he knows is irrational, like many such things) just takes over. I tend to recce routes before we take him down them, looking not just at the gradient, but at the "edges", which are much more of a problem for him. I am sure his skiing would improve if he had lessons, but I'm even more sure that if he wanted to keep skiing (and not just going round the same "safe" run) he would need to get some sort of counselling, cognitive therapy or whatever, about his fear of "edges". As it is, I think it's getting worse - he gets so stressed and rigid that he's more apt to fall, and that's just a vicious cycle. The other BIG problem is that he absolutely hates falling, so if he does fall, the whole day is ruined. I'm a much better skier than he is (which is not saying much), but I fall at least as often, trying out new things. Having done some snowboarding, falling in itself holds no fears for me, though as an OAP I have a (rational) caution about injuring myself and don't go daft.

One of the reasons the 7 year olds, especially the lads, get on with it so well is that they're perfectly used to falling - they do it all the time, off their bikes, off their skateboards, just tripping over their feet etc.

If you're mortally fearful of falling it really does hold you back (it's like trying to sail a skittish dinghy if you're afraid of capsizing).

Don't give up, but do recognise the need to acknowledge the fears that are holding you back, and maybe seek some help in overcoming them. Snowheads are very good at providing support and encouragement - and some more sessions at a snowdome is a good idea. As a super-cautious beginner you can't expect to make significant progress without a good few days lessons and practice. It's expensive though - probably cheaper to go on another ski holiday. One of the gentle Austrian resorts sounds ideal or, best of all, as suggested above, go to Les Deux alpes for lessons with easiski.
snow conditions
Quote:

you very clever people who can ski without even thinking (I'm sooooo jealous)!

piecroft,
No one looks too clever when they are beginning (except for children). I fell down my first blue run but "conquered" it a few days later. My second blue was one of those roadways with a cliff terrified me.

Firstly well done on your desire to keep learning you'll not regret it.
Ski for your own enjoyment not to impress others. We all progress at different rates. Getting a good instructor and terain you feel safe on untill your confident in your technique is the best way to progress. You need to trust that if the instructor tells you stuff its safe to try. It might not work first time but try again and again if necessary. Dont be afraid to make mistakes and better again laugh at them falling over and getting it wrong is part and parcel of learning to ski. I promise it happens less and less as time goes on. Its also a sign you are trying. Focus on what you are achieving rather than what your not. One of the best skiers I know is jealous of beginners because he thinks the learning is the best part.

The indoor slopes are great convenient places to learn but if you have the oppertunity to go to the mountains take it there is no subsitute especially with the good snow this year. The indoor slopes are open all summer (way cheeper then too). Morrilon in France is an excellent beginners resort. It has a 6km Green Run Marvel and a very nice run it is too. Its blues and reds are easy too cliffs are few and far between (Percie neige mentioned above being the exception but its so flat getting enough speed will be harder than getting too much and you only need to use this piste going between resorts you'll probably have enough in Morillon for a 3 day trip). ESF and ZigZag are the main ski schools. Zig-Zag do a confidence session theyre not cheep for private lessons I used them for powder lessons this year and was really pleased with the level of instruction) ESF also provided superb instruction to our beginners and early intermediates too. The resorts linked to it have plenty more blues when you get bored there.
Look up Morrilon Grand Massif. Other bonus is its near Geneva so ideal for short break.

Before you know it you wont even notice the cliffs.
Best of luck with it keep posting on you progress.
latest report
Quote:

I'm even more sure that if he wanted to keep skiing (and not just going round the same "safe" run) he would need to get some sort of counselling, cognitive therapy or whatever, about his fear of "edges". As it is, I think it's getting worse - he gets so stressed and rigid that he's more apt to fall, and that's just a vicious cycle. The other BIG problem is that he absolutely hates falling, so if he does fall, the whole day is ruined. I'm a much better skier than he is (which is not saying much), but I fall at least as often, trying out new things. Having done some snowboarding, falling in itself holds no fears for me, though as an OAP I have a (rational) caution about injuring myself and don't go daft

Paul McKennas next Book: I can make you ski! Laughing

Echoing Pam w views on falling, One of my mates at the end of a day last year "I fell over today I'll try to be more careful tomorrow" another member group replied "I fell at least 30 times today I had a great day"

Getting up fall after fall is tiring though!

The trouble with skiing is that your instincts trying to prevent you falling make you do things that cause you to fall most notably leaning into the hill rather than leaning forward and facing down it.
ski holidays
RPF wrote:

The trouble with skiing is that your instincts trying to prevent you falling make you do things that cause you to fall most notably leaning into the hill rather than leaning forward and facing down it.

Not only that, but as a very gross generalisation, you are more likely to injure yourself in a fall you try to prevent, than if you let it happen.
latest report
Reading between the lines I think you have the ski bug - it is a life changing thing - you will progress because you have the spirit . If you can ski more than once a year it does make a big difference, it gets you off the intermediate plateau - I know because I have been there - anyway some of my friends are scousers and three in particular are s..t hot skiers - so the message is keep going back it will all eventually click in to place and there will be no going back Toofy Grin
latest report
Alta Badia - Dolomites. Even narrow that down to San Cassiano. End of story.
ski holidays
piecroft, one thing I think is really good to build your confidence is to ski with a group of similar ability skiers - you'll find you're not alone with your fears and you don't ski as badly as you thought. I would really recommend either a Snoworks course or Inspired to Ski, perhaps for next year.
snow report
lynseyf wrote:
Definately have some more lessons. Also I remember someone telling me to never think about going down the slope but go across it then turn, across it then turn. As you get more confidence you will start to go straighter down the fall line.

I wish I'd had that advice early on. It makes a lot of sense!

Another vote here for La Plagne - you can get as far as you like on the cruisy blues. Try for somewhere in Belle Plagne.

Good luck!
ski holidays
TallTone, better to pick a slope which is less steep, so that you can avoid the dread zig-zag, which every instructor spends ages getting people to stop! Traversing across the slope then doing a quick swivel round and traversing across to the other side really isn't the way to go.

In fact, picking the right instructor is much more important than finding the right slopes. The OP has had very little tuition, especially after the dispiriting experience of dropping out of ski school feeling "stupid". The key now is really to find the right instruction, and stick with it. An "Inspired to Ski" course might well be the right formula - piecroft could try telephoning them to check on the right level and get some advice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
piecroft I know exactly what you mean about speed. I simply do not want to feel I am not in sufficient control, and speed will do just that at the moment. I had been told I must speed up, but trying to do so made me fearful and rigid and that doesn't help at all. Last summer (end of June) I had the fortune to experience a few lessons with Easkiski in Les Deux Alpes. She immediately told me I didn't need to speed up yet, I could improve my skills just fine slowly and the speed will then come. Phew - what a relief that was! In a very few lessons I gained confidence, but all too soon it was time to leave. I was so encouraged though that I have organised 2 weeks (7th/14th March) for the older or more cautious skier with her in groups of max 4 students. There are plenty of easy runs that she takes people on winter and summer, so perhaps you could manage a few days soon and then another few early summer on the glacier slopes which are lovely.
ski holidays
Butterfly, thanks for that - it's good to know other people have had similar problems! I really like the idea of Easiski, a few people have recommended them now - didn't know you could ski with them in early summer - will ring them tomorrow and see what's available. Thanks again
snow report
piecroft, Just so you know, Easisk isn't a them, she's an independant British ski teacher. Two or three years ago I was pretty much exactly like you have described yourself, Now, mainly down to the tuition I've had from Easiski, I'm in France for a season, doing blacks, bumps and dabbling off piste. Get in touch with her, you'll not regret it.
ski holidays
Annie, Thanks for that, I have already contacted Easiski and in the process of sorting out some dates to go over. Think this sounds like the answer to my problems. Thanks so much to everyone for their help. I'll let you know how I get on!
snow report
piecroft, My wife was exactly the same and to say she didn't enjoy her first ski trip is an understatement (Quote "NEVER AGAIN!!!).

Following that disaster what we did was to go for some regular sessions at Chill Factore in Manchester, fortunately for me not far from home and with the added attraction for MrsD - The Trafford Centre. The routine was ski for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then equal portions of retail recovery and wining/dining Smile I would go as far as to say she looked forward to it after a couple of times.

As they say we've never looked back and she is now looking forward to her fourth week in Les Arcs at Easter.

Pop down the M62 and give it a try - no passport necessary wink
snow conditions
Quote:

The routine was ski for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then equal portions of retail recovery and wining/dining

smadooley, sounds like the perfect (though expensive!) formula.
snow report
Corvara or Calfosco in the Dolomites. If you like to eat and drink Italy is definitely the best option and cheaper on mountain as well. THe Dolomites have a good sun record and the scenery is stunning.
ski holidays
piecroft, I would highly highly highly recommend Soldeu in Andorra. The Ski School has won several awards and quite rightly so. My very first time on skis was in Soldeu and the Instructor was fantastic (an English woman called Mary) - we learned loads and she took us all over the place. The beginners area in Soldeu is fantastic - long very easy slopes.

Incidentally, in contrast, my second holiday was in Soll and the instructor was totally useless (young guy called Daniel). He basically didn't show us anything, we just followed him about the mountain (5 people dropped out of the class midweek). He liked to wind people up (his way of joking) but could not handle if we wound him up or had a bit of banter with him, so much so that one afternoon he went into a bad mood and didn't really speak to anybody. I would not recommend the Ski School in Soll at all (the instructor just wasn't interested and our group felt that we didn't learn anything).

As Butterfly, said, Easiski is another high recommendation. I had some lessons with her in Les Deux Alpes and she really moved me along - apart from being a fantastic teacher, she is a lovely lovely lady.
snow report
skimom wrote:
Quote:

I've skied about 20 weeks in all and can manage most reds and easy blacks (albeit without any grace or style) but give me a green 'road' with an edge and I am back to snowploughing.

And I thought it was only me! Laughing And I've skied for about 35 years and don't much worry about gradient (though bumps and loose snow nowadays give me pause for thought). Come to think about it, it's not the edges that worry me so much as the narrowness of the road.
ski holidays
skimom wrote:
piecroft, have you thought about going to one of the indoor snowdomes for some lessons first?

definitely no cliffs there, and once your technique improves you will be less scared of the edges.

That being said, if you are scared of edges then be warned it might never get better - I've skied about 20 weeks in all and can manage most reds and easy blacks (albeit without any grace or style) but give me a green 'road' with an edge and I am back to snowploughing. My kids think its hilarious!

Last year in Samoens there was a piste between Samoens and Morillion/Carroz that had a 'drop off' on either side (I think called Pierce Neige). It was slightly uphill so really you had to let go to get up it... I just couldn't do it, ended up pole punting, and actually that was worse because it prolonged the agony - even though I was pole punting I was sure I was going to fall off or be knocked over. Felt so stupid (so see, you are not the only one, it happens to us all) and after that made hubby look for alternative 'routes' so that we never did it again. My 7yrs old on the other hand, looked at it, tucked and screamed 'yeeha' all the way.

You aren't the only one to struggle on Pierce Niege if it is any consolation, seems to be a bit of a bottleneck, accident waiting to happen.
Though if you saw what is behind the netting to the right you'd never go near it again

I think you can branch off left down a red to avoid at least part of it if the snow allows.
snow report
Piecroft, La Rossiere is a nice resort with lots of easy runs. You might like to try there.
snow conditions
piecroft wrote:
Hi everyone!

Just returned last night from Folgarida in Italy.
So yes, overall the place was good but I am definitely not!

Cheers!

Come back and I will sort you out with some free lessons. Little Angel
The blue 2 (the one you did get down) has a few quite steep bits on it so is not really a good place to start on your 1st trip.
No worries, I'll show you some better places to practice your new found skills.

See you next week ??

Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy