Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catered Chalets

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Quote:

what do you expect us to be doing on a ski lift tha we need Kleenex for.

Laughing Kimberley Clarke - got a vested interest, maybe.

A sensible answer. I'm ashamed of where my train of thought was going. Embarassed snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moffatross, Well, some of those old chairs are really slow.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski kimberley wrote:
alex_heney,
Quote:

If those prices are cheaper than Europe", yo must be staying in some really7 stupidly posh places in Europe.

The cheapest I could find in any of the first three links above worked out at around $200 per person per night. So that is about £800 per person for a week

just checked those sites myself and came up with Ski Kokopelli at $499 US a week for full board in your money that should be about £300 odd pounds flights to Denver £400ish

Suggest you check your figures again.

The very cheapest that is properly within a ski season is $90 per night per person, and that is only if you fill a 10 bed chalet.

That is $630 per week.

Almost all were a good deal more than that, and the only one offering individual rooms was between $257 and $459 for the cheapest room, depending on season.

Quote:

Sunshine Chalet which is in the resort I ski at Kimberley is £299 and £399 a week including luxury transfers and ski hire more during Xmas and New Year but isn't everywhere?

Yes, OK I had misread that one. I thought that was per person per night, and $ Puzzled

There is still no possibility of skiing the same quality at the same time cheaper in the US or Canada than Europe for most UK people.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w,
Quote:

this thread is supposed to be about the pros and cons of catered chalets - not the old "yerp versus the US" arguments.

Could not agree more butttttttt Toofy Grin
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

flying planet, a sweeping statement of complete tosh.

Toofy Grin Don't you just think you should be able to justify such statements Puzzled Which ski chalets have you stayed at in the USA and Canada? Quote me some prices on comparable chalets in Europe and North America who do you usually travel with Puzzled Are you another Thompson Tourer Puzzled All my life I was taught to listen and ask questions cos thats how you learn how to do things and get good deals. i can assure you that at the moment the best deals are in the USA and Canada Example1: 5* chalet in Breckenridge with hot tub all food included plus wine $499 per person
Example 2: 5* catered chalet in Canada 2 hot tubs en suite room with balcony all food and wine, free airport transfers in luxury 4 wheel drive free ski guiding £299 per person.we go next week and the rate we got was 1.47 Us to the pound and 1.77 Canadian.
What can Europe offer Puzzled
If you listened and asked instead of spouting like a football hooligan I would maybee have told you how we got a week in a 5* chalet in Meribel for £99 including return ferry. By the way the snow in North America is so dry you can;t make snowballs or snowmen Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross,
Quote:

ski kimberley, tissues ? Puzzled I've not had anyone offer me tissues before going up a lift in the USA and I don't get the upside man. I mean, what do you expect us to be doing on a ski lift tha we need Kleenex for. Shocked Laughing

Oh god your not another one of those sleeve users are you Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney,
Quote:

The very cheapest that is properly within a ski season is $90 per night per person, and that is only if you fill a 10 bed chalet.

That is $630 per week.

See my earlier message we have booked chalet cloe with ski kapelli in Breckenridge for $499 per person in Mid March 4 of us staying there no problems. Staying at Sunshine Chalet next week £299 per person 7 staying 3 double rooms and 1 single. No suppliment for the single. Both 5 stars with excellent facilities and I think both offer great value. What can Europe offer thats of the same standard Puzzled
Anyhow in my opinion you just can't beat catered chalets for value convenience and for picking up local knowledge Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross,
Quote:

pam w wrote:
Quote:

what do you expect us to be doing on a ski lift tha we need Kleenex for.

Kimberley Clarke - got a vested interest, maybe.

A sensible answer. I'm ashamed of where my train of thought was going.

Toofy Grin Ha as flying planet said probably to your sleeve Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,
Toofy Grin
If you ever get to North America don't tell anyone you are Pam or you will end up in a fryaing pan Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

ski kimberley, your maths, rates, and figures are wrong... And some of your statements.

come on then brains put me right maybeee I am 10cents out here and there but at least i know what I am talking about. I don't put people down for no reason and I don't slag off the beginner resorts they went to either au, au, au,Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w,
Quote:

Kimberley Clarke - got a vested interest, maybe.

"Kimberly-Clark Europe Launches New Huggies Diaper Range to Capture Bigger Share of $4.6 Billion European Market " Yup they designed these just for you if you ever get here they will be waiting for you at the bottom of Easter Face Toofy Grin On second thoughts you will probably need them when you look over the top!

Those that can do those that can't can't Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've stayed in a few chalets, with big and medium size TOs, once privately. Always middle or up market prices. Ususally France, also Lech, St Anton.
IMV, they can be good if you're in a largeish group; I don't see the point for a family.
They are more of a gamble than s/c or HB; based on my exp, I reckon you have about equal chances of good, OK and poor food. I know a few people who have worked as chalet maids recently and they are woefully undertrained so it's a lottery.
At their best they're great.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski kimberley wrote:
[b]
come on then brains put me right maybeee I am 10cents out here and there

Your starter for one:
$499 = £365 not £300
20+% error
Also, where do you get your flight prices from?
What is obvious; the flightr, lift pass and time required off work (a cost) will be much greater.
I would love to ski accross the pond, but that choice will rarely, if ever, be based on cost.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would love to ski accross the pond, but that choice will rarely, if ever, be based on cost.

Same here. I nearly did once; had an option on a last minute TO bargain, but then looked up the price of the 10 day lift pass....
One thing that always sounded good is the legendary courtesy and customer service you get in North America - as exemplified in the posts above. Though unlike some people who have complained recently I have always encountered polite and friendly service in France, too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aaaaannnnnnndddd back on topic..................(for the love of all that's good and white)...........

Regardless of in which Country the chalet is in one thing people saty they prefer about catered chalet holidays is that once they get picked up at the airport they can stop thinking and relax.............. the chalet operators will take them to the ski shop, will have their lift passes ready for them at the chalet, will drop at the lift and pick them up, will guide them to tghe resort (either in the chalet or on the piste) will give them tea and cake and then dinner............ whereas an apartment they need to do a lot of those things for themselves..
ski holidays
pam w, we encounterd a number of rude peeps in Italy recently.
The number of wars in Europe comes as no great surpise.
ski holidays
moffatross, Fernie has free kleenex available at the base of all of it's chairlifts, for goggle/glasses wiping/nose blowing, as well as lift maps, free recovery off of the hill, free ski hosting service, free plastic jacket covers in the unlikely event of rain or wet snow, so as not to get your jacket soaked, the liftees sweep the snow off of the chairlift seats for you too.
snow report
marcellus, I/we love chalet holidays. The are the 1st choice for us.
Releaxed sociability.
Spyderman, i suspect all snowheads fancy a trip there.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
ski kimberley wrote:
[b]

Your starter for one:
$499 = £365 not £300
20+% error
What is obvious; the flightr, lift pass and time required off work (a cost) will be much greater.

I've just done Fernie booked with Crystal for £800 each for 2 weeks, flight, transfer & room only, ski-in/ski-out. Lift passes 13 days £391 each. Eating out about a third of French prices.
I won't be rushing to book Europe again, certainly on cost.
We met a couple staying in a Crystal catered chalet in Fernie. They said costs were comparable with France for the package price, but they said overall it was cheaper, because of the lower cost of eating and drinking on the hill.
No lift queues, polite friendly service, great skiing.
latest report
Spyderman, but DIY is cheaper wink
13 days sounds great but 6 days to long for my bod. This thread is on catered chalets btw. Laughing
snow report
Quote:
the chalet operators will take them to the ski shop, will have their lift passes ready for them at the chalet, will drop at the lift and pick them up, will guide them to tghe resort (either in the chalet or on the piste) will give them tea and cake and then dinner............

only if you go to a really high-quality chalet, marcellus!!

For me, "not having to think" is absolutely NOT part of the attraction of chalets. It's more the relaxed and sociable atmosphere and feeling of being "at home" which is almost impossible to find in a hotel. I also find that in an apartment, but certainly it's harder work.
snow report
pam w, spot on.
We stayed with flangesax in Radstadt and he took folks to the hire shop AND returned the gear thus maximising a short break.
marcellus, best subtle spam ever...but you are now on my wish list.
snow report
This thread is on catered chalets btw. Laughing

Since when did the topic of a thread have anything to do with what's written wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

This thread is on catered chalets btw.

It can be helpful if the respondants keep the opinions and let their figures and facts to speak for themselves.

The OP is just interested in catered chalets
Quote:
Ideally in Austria,
Are they hard to find in Austria?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 1-03-09 16:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
the respondants keep the opinions and let their figures and facts for themselves.

saikee, I'm not quite sure what you're saying there because of the word you may have omitted between 'facts' and 'for'. However, if the keeping of opinions to oneself is a prerequisite to participating in a forum, I just have this funny feeling that it won't catch on. snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
Haven't read all the detailed replies but our plan is to go to the local TO for a list of chalets available. We book direct, and do everything else ourselves.

We'll hire in linen and final clean and shop locally. The supermarkets may be a bit expensive but we aren't going to go down the valley to save a few pennies.
This does mean that some will have to cook and some will have to clear up after but the evening is our own and we don't have to rush to get ready and get a table.

We have a fully winterised 4X4 and this really is the best..and cheapest........ way we have off doing it... The price break isn't the whole reason for doing it but it helps
with the £ rate atm. We get the most flexibility and best of all ways, AFAIAC.

Catered chalets are fine as well....if done properly, IMV
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
ski kimberley wrote:
[b]

Your starter for one:
$499 = £365 not £300
20+% error

I've just done Fernie booked with Crystal for £800 each for 2 weeks, flight, transfer & room only, ski-in/ski-out. Lift passes 13 days £391 each. Eating out about a third of French prices.
I won't be rushing to book Europe again, certainly on cost.
We met a couple staying in a Crystal catered chalet in Fernie. They said costs were comparable with France for the package price, but they said overall it was cheaper, because of the lower cost of eating and drinking on the hill.
No lift queues, polite friendly service, great skiing.

Once you start looking at longer breaks than the "standard" 1 week, then USA/Canada becomes more cost effective, because the biggest reason for them usually being more expensive is the flight. Although lift passes are also generally more expensive for similar, that is offset by food usually being considerably cheaper.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Your starter for one:
$499 = £365 not £300
20+% error

Wher do you buy your currency from Puzzled We got 1.47 US to the pound and 1.77 canadian. Flights are not that expensive either if you know where to look Toofy Grin

Any how back to the thread Catered Chalets are the best way to go if your holiday is meant to be a holiday and not a Working Holiday. As marcellus, stated you get great service plus lots of good local knowledge on the best runs for your ability, secret powder staches cheapest bar on the hill etc etc etc, We ski a lot and where possible will always stay at a catered chalet plus they are great for families as its an easy way to meet like minded skiers. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
flying planet, Hey if you are hitting Kimberley drop me a mail I will be pleased to show you some great staches plus the legendary Sun Pit.
ski holidays
ski kimberley, I will take you up on that. We have a couple of days at LL after we land so will PM you from there. thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
flying planet wrote:
you get great service plus lots of good local knowledge on the best runs for your ability, secret powder staches cheapest bar on the hill etc etc etc,

That may well be true with a private chalet or the very best TOs, but the great majority of catered chalets are staffed by undertrained school leavers who often know less about the resort than you do by the 3rd day. As I said, they can be great, but they are a risk unless you have a recommendation or are a repeat customer.
snow report
Quote:

As I said, they can be great, but they are a risk unless you have a recommendation or are a repeat customer.

Yup... totally agree..... mixed bag in terms of quality of food and service... we've had brilliant cheap deals in sitty resorts and crap expensive deals in so called exclusive resorts.... no rhyme or reason to it... I also tend to find they get worse towards the end of the season when all the chalet reps are exhausted from partying too hard and working long hours and just want to go home to blighty...

Also a risk that you could end up sharing with a totally incompatible bunch of people if your group doesn't book the whole chalet..... Biiiiiig risk which can ruin your holiday and lead to confrontation.

Having said all that I've had some excellent chalet holidays with both family and friends and haven't actually had one which has been a total disaster where I've had cause to ask for any refund or suchlike!
ski holidays
Dear all,
thought I'd throw in a possible closing comment having had some kind help from a fellow snowhead searching for an elusive catered chalet in Austria. No luck. Cannot find a snowhead recommended, Catered chalet, holding roughlt 10 to 12 people, in a ski sure resort, with all rooms ensuite, for less that an excellent hotel on halfboard. So why would anyone bother with a Chalet? Rather have a hotel, risks of unrecommended places are too high for my one prime week of skiing per year. Thanks to all those who gave comments and help,.
ski holidays
We are going to a chalrt this year with Crystal so I don't know how it will be. I will give a full report when we get back.

Previously we have been to La Plange with Ski Beat. The first we filled a small Chalet and the second time we shared with 5 others. Both times the quality of the food and the sevice were excellent (the first time was the best though). Ski Beat have expanded to other areas since then and assuming the quality is the same I can highly recommend them.
snow report
twoodwar, Tour Op run chalets in Austria tend to be focussed in St Anton where there is a fair choice - I have seen very few real chalets anywhere else in Austria (altho stand to be corrected). Likewise in Switzerland there are lots in Verbier and a few in Zermatt but not in many other Swiss resorts, bar the odd one here and there. Certainly France offers the greatest choice for a chalet holiday, but if you want Austria then look no further than St Anton. Try Ski Total for example, they have 8 chalets on offer in St Anton.
ski holidays
Scott Dunn do great chalets in Austria, Switzerland and France. The ones in Meribel and St Anton were great. Zermatt less so, but possibly because we were a smaller group, and consequently a smaller chalet. You can usually talk them into throwing in a free lift pass for a week in hte price too.
One downside though is that you tend to venture less into town to sample the nightlife because you get 4 course dinner and free wine and beer at the chalet. But the courtesy driver pick-up and drop-off service from the slopes more than makes up for that!
latest report
Masmith thanks for the ski total recommendation. However I have not used a tour operator for over 6 years. The Chalets here are all substantially more than a decent hotel on halfboard, so cannnot see the point. Also not all rooms are en- suite. Why does anyone go to a chalet? If there are a dozen of you, any hotel worth their salt will set up a table for you for the week. A was hoping to save substantially on a hotel, but it seems hotels save substantially on Chalets, - I'm amazed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy