Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet with sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
If I buy a helmet, will I have to start wearing goggles, or it is ok to wear me sunnies?

And will a helmet ruin my chance of sensible suntan? I usually go bare headed, with a hood for occasional cold blast or snow storm.

Please note I am NOT asking if will save my life - that is much less important than whether it will cramp my (alleged) style!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you have answered your own question wink SUNNIES + HELMET = GAPER.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorenzo, I wear both - gogs for flat light and glasses for sunny days (which is seriously uncool apparently)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, Me too, but the days when stylish counted that much are well behind me!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, perhaps I should have said, I wear glasses and sun block - suntan problem sorted !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lorenzo, it's ok for you to do whatever you want to do. Wear sunnies if you want, wear goggles if you want.

Who exactly is it who decides what is gaper, cool or uncool anyway rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelQ wrote:
Who exactly is it who decides what is gaper, cool or uncool anyway rolling eyes

That would be me.

Helmet and sunnies - just say no. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Er, this has been covered a few times before eg here, not that that will stop people engaging in the debate yet again. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie wrote:
IncogSkiSno, Me too, but the days when stylish counted that much are well behind me!

Another vote for the uncool but who cares look Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually we all look stupid dressed in puffy trousers and oversized coats with either one or two planks clipped or strapped to our daft looking boots. Anyone thinking that their mix & match choice of sunglasses over goggles, or beanie over helmet is going to make the difference over how 'cool' they look probably needs to clean their mirror. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No problem wearing glasses. These days I tend to wear goggles (with appropriate lenses) through out the day. That's so I don't forget (I am senior!) to wear goggles in powder - cos wiping out in powder with sunnies on can lead to major problems clearing them. I really don't care at all whether I look 'cool' or not. I am on the slopes to ski - not take part in a fashion parade.

Hurtle, look. It's better than yet another helmet thread. It is an insane question anyway, when you think about it. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, are your goggles hermetically sealed to your face? Every time I've wiped out in goggles/soft snow, the goggles have filled up with snow and are blooming murder to clean, much more so than sunnies. Confused I only wear goggles either when it's snowing, or when it's very cold or, occasionally, when the light is flat - though my current sunglasses seem to be more effective than my goggles in flat light. On the whole, I don't like my face being constricted. The whole 'gaper' debate is completely daft, as you say, and boring with it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One thing that puuzzles me is MTB/Cycle helmets and shades look Cool ,but skiing helmets and shades uncool Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hedley wrote:
One thing that puuzzles me is MTB/Cycle helmets and shades look Cool ,but skiing helmets and shades uncool Puzzled

One normally MTB in the summer. Goggle can be murdereously hot and steamy.

One normally ski in the winter. The cold air blasting through the gaps between helmet and shades make for one serious gaper!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, LOL,I know that ,but i'm not talking about the practicalities,just the looks wink or perceived looks.
snow report
Quote:

If I buy a helmet, will I have to start wearing goggles, or it is ok to wear me sunnies?

That has to be the silliest question I've seen in ages. You seriously think there are rules? And are you really just going to do what you're told? In which case ........ if you wear a helmet you must also sport a luminous pink tutu and carry a string of onions. If you don't comply, the pisteurs will confiscate your pass and give you a good spanking.

And what's a 'gaper' anyway? Sounds like some kind of fish to me.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
... if you wear a helmet you must also sport a luminous pink tutu and carry a string of onions. If you don't comply, the pisteurs will confiscate your pass and give you a good spanking.

Is that some sort of new BDSM speciality service that you get at one of those speciality London 'gentleman's clubs'. Toofy Grin

Lizzard wrote:
And what's a 'gaper' anyway? Sounds like some kind of fish to me.

Like the fabled Currin as in "oi mate, what's a'currin'" ? Laughing
snow conditions
moffatross, you're going to start on Greek vases next, I can tell. rolling eyes
ski holidays
[Edit - repeat post]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-02-09 18:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
[Edit - delete]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 22-02-09 18:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Lorenzo,

Having recently got a helmet (1/2 way through last season) I didn't know what was best... so I have skied with sunnies and goggles.
I find sticking with the goggles is better as there are attached to the helmet - you can lift them up and they don't fog up as they aren't in contact with your hat/forehead.
Keep your sunnies in your pack/pocket and use them when you stop.
snowHead
ski holidays
GAPER =

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uz9yjxk2yeU/RtORmrg7GYI/AAAAAAAAANs/c5ejhPctrMA/s400/0306220128GAPER1.jpg

See also

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gaper

Glad I asked now as a term has been invented especially for those who don't.........
latest report
hedley wrote:
abc, LOL,I know that ,but i'm not talking about the practicalities,just the looks wink or perceived looks.

I've seen downhill MTB'ers wearing goggles sometimes. But I don't think it ever cought on as being "cool".

I do believe praticality dictates "coolness" in this case.

It's really very hard to be "cool" when you're sweating buckets (or frozen to near death). wink
snow report
Lorenzo, I wouldn't give a hoot about how you look, but recently an instructor in Austria told me that he NEVER wore sunglasses when skiing, because of the risk of broken glass in the eye if you fall.

He wore goggles, (no helmet). I wear goggles with a helmet.

Your call.

P.S before the cries of 'he's a wimp' etc he was ex-bulgarian special services and hard as nails - but a lovely guy Laughing
snow report
Goggles are designed for bad waether and poor visibility. Sun Glasses are designed.....for the sun Cool
latest report
hedley wrote:
I think you have answered your own question wink SUNNIES + HELMET = GAPER.

Goggles suck unless its a whiteout. Thus Helmet = GAPER! QED. snowHead
snow report
Hurtle, I have started wearing goggles in bright sunlight only recently, and it is a long time since I wiped out in powder wearing goggles (not so with glasses on!) - but I seem to recall far less of a problem when wearing them compared to sunnies. I too am totally disinterested in the 'gaper' debate.
snow report
Sunglasses with helmet is a definite no no. The fashion police will have your lift pass confiscated. Goggles must be matched to your helmet in terms of fit and colour - no gap between top of goggles & helmet. Sunglasses may be worn in conjunction with a bandana, jeans & snowblades. I will send Gok to to sort you out as expect the rest of your gear is unacceptable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dear oh dear....it is that skiing by numbers thing again isn't it...happening a lot these days.
ski holidays
Lorenzo, American kiddy-slang then. The European English equivalent is probably 'punter', you might like to know. Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, Shocked Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy