Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Britsh Airways Check In - WARNING

Poster: A snowHead
I booked my BA half term flights to Zurich last March. Last Friday I had shedloads of work to finish, personal things to sort out and then with driving down to Gatwick straight from school on Friday afternoon I didn't get a chance to check in online (this is I believe open 24 hours before the flight).

I turned up at Gatwick just before 6.00am for the 7.45 flight and the check in machine would not issue a boarding pass directing me to customer service who then directed me to a "special check in" who advised me that the flight was full and that I was on stand by. After many arguments along the line of "I booked 11 months ago", "frequent flyer member", etc, etc I was politely advised (also agreeing with me that they had a crap system) that I would not know until after check in had closed if I would have the seat that I had paid BA for 11 months previously. This was being replicated with many other parties on many different flights and it being half term week mostly with young children. Anyway 40 minutes before flight time BA graciously advised me that I could have the seats that I had paid for. I then had 40 minutes to check in cases, deposit skis with outsize luggage, clear security and sprint to the gate. All plans for a leisurely check in and breakfast were replaced by a stressful experience.

Once bitten twice shy we managed to check in via my daughter's ipod touch on Friday evening for our Saturday flight from Zurich. On arrival at the Airport I was approached as to whether I would like to fly with Lufthansa to London as an alternative (this was being offered to many other customers too). On finding out it was to Heathrow it was not an alternative for me. But after talking to other BA customers who had been given boarding passes but no seat allocation it was clear that BA had severely overbooked this flight too.

I realise that airlines overbook but to me this smacks of poo-poo service (should they just prioritise on online check-ins, or could other facors ie price paid, date booked, etc be taken into account). I will be complaining to BA about this but want to share with other snowHeads that online check in during busy periods could be the difference between getting on their flight or not. I think also they are some snowHead's with senior BA experience who could comment.

My main advice for BA (and other airline) customers is, sod work, etc, book in online so you are not disappointed!

Edited to correct the effects of one glass of wine too many last night Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-02-09 10:07; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B wrote:
... this smacks as poo-poo service ...

One gets the impression that this is not what you typed. An alternative - maybe more meaningful and respected - form of 'snowHeads auto-decency filter' would translate your typing to "s**t". [not in the sense that your typing is s**t, obviously]

By the way, thank you for typing-in online, rather than using the SH type-in desk.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, thanks for posting this, what a s****y start to hols. I am flying with them next week on flights we booked & paid for last March so will make sure we check-in online. Sounds more like Ryanair to me.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On that issue, do Ryanair ever overbook flights? Because (all their?) tickets are non-refundable, with a charge for changes of name/flight, I think their business model is based on guaranteeing the revenue for each flight, whereas BA sells plenty of refundable tickets per flight.

I can't recall hearing of an overbooked Ryanair flight.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Horrendous, and inexcusable. There was some rationale for overbooking in the days when your ticket was as good as cash and you could just turn up another day. But now, especially with BA's particularly inflexible system, there seems no justification for this at all. If they sell all the seats to people who won't get a refund if they don't turn up, how can they possibly justify bumping people off?

Hope you had a good holiday, though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, Firstly being 'bumped' is a horrendous experience for anyone and I dont believe that the recently introduced compensation levels for denied boarding in any way reflect the actual 'pain' of such actions.

My views on 'overbooking' have changed considerably over the years, not surprisingly I have a lot more sympathy with the customer than in the past ( what a whore! ) but there are good reasons for this. I spent 10 years worrying about overbooking flight profiles for Friday evening personal flights to France ... but only once failed to travel.

The history behind the management of 'overbooking profiles' was primarily down to these things :-
- Flexible tickets (pam w, there are still a large number of flexible tickets sold and there always have been restrictions, difference being that now more restricted tickets are sold via different channels ( eg online) and there is greater transparency of what those restrictions are as you see them at the time of booking) and
- 'False' ticketing --- many agents 'constructed' fares and itineraries to reduce the cost which included 'not flown' coupons ie sectors that were not used by the customer. The customer did not necessarily see those coupons and you had to understand 'airline speak' to see it on your paper ticket. We could argue about the whys and wherefores of that for years but it is less prevalent now with online booking systems.
- Consol ticketing / 'Blocks' -- where the agent/TO knows the customer/no of tix sold but the airline doesnt, nor necessarily the precise number of tix sold ( I've significantly oversimplified that process ) . Less prevalent than days of yore as more of us travel independently and consol is less prevalent in most countries.
- Reservations made, but not on the system due to lack of computer access --- now I'm showing my age, but it can still happen!

The airline Revenue Management people, processes and systems were designed to optimise the net revenue from each flight by 'managing' those events. They dont always get it right although until denied boarding costs are significantly larger they will always take greater risks. In defense of BA they have a history of 'offering' higher levels of compensation than required by law and rarely are people 'denied boarding' although many go through ColinB's experience of a wait whilst it is sorted.. I have no idea of current numbers.

The biggest 'background' issue to this imo is many airlines approach on short-haul flights with 'flexible' business class seating arrangements. ie where airlines can increase Club class seating whilst removing a greater number of economy class seats . The airline earns significantly more money from Business Class seats than from those of us who sit down the back .. and if those tickets are sold 'last minute' then they are sold at full business class rate. Very tempting monies with just the need to potentially bump some poor oik who just happens to be going skiing. I see ColinB was flying to Zurich on a Friday evening .. perhaps the gnomes can still afford to fly up front and book late
rolling eyes Shocked Suffice to say that I believe airlines should be made to 'fix' their cabin sizes as soon as they have chosen to sell (regardless of class) all the seats in any cabin on an aircraft. If they choose to 'bump' within cabin class is, for me, a slightly different challenge.

BA's denied boarding practices and processes seem to me to be better than others BUT folks will always argue over priorities. Online check-in does not make that any easier as the OP identifies ... and airlines do stop online check-in on some occasions ( others may have experienced this) when they realise they have an overbooking issue -- it isnt just first come, first served.

David Goldsmith, They all do it ( or rather did ) , but you are right there is less reason to even consider it if you have one booking channel ( online via your own res system) and non-refundable/changeable tickets. I admire O'Leary for that ( and many other process simpifications), he has set out to to take cost and complexity out and achieved it. His model require the BA/AF/LH to exist but good for him for not only reducing cost but, imo, improving the product at the same time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I spent 10 years worrying about overbooking flight profiles for Friday evening personal flights to France

Quote:

he has set out to to take cost and complexity out and achieved it. His model require the BA/AF/LH to exist but good for him

Shocked EH?????????
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have never been on an overbooked low-cost airline flight (Ryanair, easyjet, German Wings).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
I have never been on an overbooked low-cost airline flight (Ryanair, easyjet, German Wings).

.. or more accurately, you have never knowingly been on an overbooked low-cost airline flight wink and there really is less reason for it to happen ,,,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, fair comment - but although I have been on really full flights, I have never been aware of anybody being bumped. Mind you, I do try to check in reasonably early.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like the idea that if I have paid for a flight 10 months ago, then the airline should honour that booking. The budget airlines have their own ways of canceling flights in comparison to the 'over booking' system by the nationals
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If this happens then it is a dodgy tactic to happen too much and too often.... it strikes me as too much hassle to deal with p**ed off customers to be worth doing...

I don't know what the nuimber of no-shows are...but that would be the typical number of over-books, to my thinking..

Anything else is bad PR and looking for trouble... Afte rall, they have your money...why should they care too much about chasing extras..it isn't as if airlines have to rely on spend-on-board..??? as that would doom any airline, I'd have thought. Sure, they don't turn it down but ....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used to commute every other week between LHR and Rome or Zurich with BA. Of all the airlines I've used BA were by far the worst for overbooking. Although I always got my intended flight, I would say that easily 80%+ of the time there were announcements at the gate asking for people to volunteer going on a later flight for a small compensation, and often the Friday evening flight back they would even give compensation and pay a hotel for N people to take the Saturday morning flight. Now that must one very crazy and risky business model.

On Lufthansa, I've only come across 1 overbooked flight, where I took probably the last business class seat, and my boss who used the machine after me got bumped to cattle class. OK he got to fly on the same plane, but the compensation is dire... a 1700 euro business ticket gets something like 2 free cattle class vouchers valid for a year.

I doubt there's as much of an issue on the no-frills airlines (wish people would stop calling them cheap or low-cost), since most tickets will be for a specific flight, unlike scheduled, where there are missed connections and us business travellers that like to change flights 2 hours before departure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, I never have on any one of them either ... although I was strangely moved to a later flight when I once checked checked in 'just-in-time' at Luton once. I never did find out the real reason why though to be fair. They may genuinely have closed the flight early... and I didnt bother finding out why afterwards as there were major ATC problems that day and both flights arrived one after the other. BTW --pm me your email address I have a Ppoint presentation you will love.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
.............The budget airlines have their own ways of canceling flights in comparison to the 'over booking' system by the nationals

Fair comment. It's never happened to me, but I am very well aware of it happening to friends. Do any of the 'high-cost' arilines (such as BA, Lufthansa and Swiss) cancel from time to time (other than for reasons such as weather or technical failure)?
snow conditions
Agenterre, done.
ski holidays
andy, BA's practice was ( and seems as if it still is ) to call and pay for voluntary offloads earlier for CS reasons, others wing it a lot later. If you have ever volunteered you will know that much of the time you actually get on anyway. This, of course, must then be another disappointment by that time.

I agree with others and much prefer the US practice of selling 'subject to load' tickets if things look busy.
latest report
achilles, I was taking an Easyjet flight from Bristol to Geneva last season which had a delayed departure because Bristol airport were struggling to get passengers on to the plane because they lacked transport buses, and the pilot apologised to those of us already on the plane and hoped we would understand and then said 'lucky that the passengers struggling to get to the plane were on Easyjet rather than Ryanair because Ryanair would have left their passengers behind in such circumstances'.

All airlines cancel from time to time, but I feel the nationals tend to have more flexibility to sort it out.

I do really rate Easyjet and the service they provide, likewise BA
snow report
rayscoops, interesting. My preference generally is easyJet - but German Wings has also been a good experience. Long time since I have flown BA, come to think of it - mainly because of trying to avoid Gatwick and Heathrow rather than the airline as such.
snow report
achilles, same here, but if BA were out still out of Bristol I would fly with them.
snow conditions
[quote="achilles"]
rayscoops wrote:
Fair comment. It's never happened to me, but I am very well aware of it happening to friends. Do any of the 'high-cost' arilines (such as BA, Lufthansa and Swiss) cancel from time to time (other than for reasons such as weather or technical failure)?

I can only speak for one and I'm not current. Our ops control department were infamous for 'chasing' and attempting any/everything to get every flight away including major re-jigging / substitutions/leasing etc. ( we used to say that they were only happy when things went wrong!). To be fair BA had greater flexibility in their schedule ... that isnt true now as Ryanair and Easyjet have bigger short-haul fleets ( with greater consistency of equipment) and should have more flexibility as a consequence.
ski holidays
Agenterre, Thanks for the industry insiders view. Just a couple of things. I actually flew out last Saturday morning, not Friday evening, after staying over near Gatwick. The flight was full of familes heading to Switzerland for half term not business travellers. This is something BA should have been blindingly aware of and I would expect would change the dynamics of "no shows" etc.
ski holidays
Colin B, Yes, you're right it should have changed the profiles for that flight .. totally.
latest report
Colin B wrote:
Agenterre, Thanks for the industry insiders view. Just a couple of things. I actually flew out last Saturday morning, not Friday evening, after staying over near Gatwick. The flight was full of familes heading to Switzerland for half term not business travellers. This is something BA should have been blindingly aware of and I would expect would change the dynamics of "no shows" etc.

Sounds like one of those occasions when the Revenue Management team got things wrong and their work became visible. One way to judge a company is to see how they keep their clients happy when things go wrong - have they offered you a goodwill gesture of any kind, such as some airmiles? Jane and I had some issues with a BA flight to San Francisco last summer, and we were eventually happy with being credited with 60K of BAmiles between us.
snow report
rob@rar, I haven't complained yet, that's a job for this evening. Both my daughter and I are members of their Executive Club so I expect that could be a possibility.
snow conditions
For those noting no bumping from budget-air - easyjet bumped people on our flight back from geneva a couple of weeks ago - BUT we had every sympathy - it was during the uk snow and they couldn't get anything down in bristol or luton as far as I could see - not so much overbooked as b*****d by the weather. They were offering £100 iirc and seemed to be managing the process as well as could be expected. aj xx
latest report
Agenterre,

Quote:
The airline earns significantly more money from Business Class seats than from those of us who sit down the back .. and if those tickets are sold 'last minute' then they are sold at full business class rate. Very tempting monies with just the need to potentially bump some poor oik who just happens to be going skiing.

I have long been suspecting this.

The heart of the matter is the airline makes more money by bumping the OP off, pay him the compensation and give the seat it to a business class customer who needs the economy seat as the connection flight. If the airline makes a killing and pays peanuts to the OP they will continue to practise this scam which is done by all major airlines. The difference is airlines like Air France and KLM actually ask the customers politely if they like to be moved to another flight and accept the compensation for their inconvenience. It is a choice a customer can refuse. BA is unacceptable in that it uses dirty tricks of preventing their check-in machine to work normally and makes it as though it is the economy customers' own fault not arriving sufficiently early when they are not actually late. This is all because they want to sell business class ticket to customers competing for seats for the short connection flights in the last minute!

Travelers with the budget airlines are unlikely to run into this scam because the budget airlines do not have a large business class customers to provide the incentive.
ski holidays
saikee,
Quote:
he difference is airlines like Air France and KLM actually ask the customers politely if they like to be moved to another flight and accept the compensation for their inconvenience. It is a choice a customer can refuse. BA is unacceptable in that it uses dirty tricks of preventing their check-in machine to work normally a

That is just an incorrect interpretation of what I wrote... all airlines try and optimise the revenue ... in my opinion BA's practices are better, and BA do ask customers as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, Everyone with a 'flexible' Business Class cabin can do this ( where they can move the cabin dividers/ curtains), that is every airline, that I can think of, in Europe.
snow conditions
Agenterre,

I did not interpret your write-up. It is my own experience as I do travel regularly overseas in connection with my work. I have been messed around by all the big players. I somehow think it is the money in the long haul flights that drive BA to this behaviour. Without a full connection the customer can take their business elsewhere.
latest report
saikee, aarrgggh .. my misinterpretation then ! I'm not getting into the 'Freedoms' and how that effects Revenue Mgt .. wink
snow report
That is pant's by BA. Why don't they publish a fact saying those that check-in on-line first will get a seat.. I don't think the budget airlines overbook as I flew Easyjet Stansted to Geneva on 13.02.2009 at 17:40 and arrived at there at 16:50 without checking in on-line with skis and in a BIG PANIC about getting thru security. Checked in and skis checked thru oversize baggage in 10 minutes... 25 minutes to get thru security and ran straight to the gate!!! Never crossed my ind about them been overbooked. Little Angel
ski holidays
Coming back from Kirkwood in 2006 I was one of the first in the queue for the Virgin flight from SFO to Heathrow. Staff came up to us and said the flight was "hideously overbooked". What Virgin offered would have been amazing for those who could have taken advantage of it, 3 nights free accommodation and board in SF, and a free return flight to SFO for use anytime in the next 12months.

I would have bitten off her hand to accept it normally, alas my visa was up the next day and it would have left me flying into London with way to much luggage for a domestic flight, was booked on the ScotRail Sleeper and it didn't run on Sat and I had to be back in Inverness for that weekend anyway. Was kinda gutted ! Was kicking myself the whole way back, damn sod it, I should have said yes!
latest report
Winterhighland, that's right. If you have the flexibility an over-booked flight can provide opportunities for some nice freebies. I did once (also on the San Francisco - London route) and they gave me enough Flying Club miles for a couple of economy returns to the USA. Must use them one of these days...
ski holidays
overbooking is one of the times when you want to be a gold card holder..... with virgin you are guaranteed a seat on the flight...some other poor sod gets bumped so you can travel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
Trumpton, no I don't think the budget airlines over-book, as was said above their business model is different as they do not sell any fully flexible tickets.

Unfortunately it's not possible to check in online with easyjet if you have luggage! I find that very annoying.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
Unfortunately it's not possible to check in online with easyjet if you have luggage! I find that very annoying.

I see many people coming though aircraft door with STS boarding cards (home printed) and baggage tags attached to them. They've effectively checked in from a PC, then queued with everyone else at check in to deposit bags. Why would you want to do this??
snow report
Michelle, the only reason i can think of is is it gets you an earlier boarding group? Seems a bit of a waste of time, though I guess if you're a family or in a group who are all desperate to to sit together it might be worth it.
ski holidays
Michelle, to go straight to the dedicated bag drop and avoid the check-in queues maybe Puzzled
snow report
beanie1, good thinking Batman Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy