Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Italy in April, can anyone advise?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, can anyone help?? I am planning a break at Easter for 4 days from 9-13 April and I am thinking of going to Champoluc in Monterosa ski area - mainly because it is reported to be fairly inexpensive, have good skiing and accomodation, not too busy, good restaurants etc. I am a complete beginner (well - I've had 1 lesson!!) but there are at least two other adults who are intermediate level. Anyway, I am concerned that there will not be enough snow at that time in April. Has anyone been to this area at that time, should the snow generally be ok for us to ski? The resport is 1600m with the highest lift being 3550m. Or, if not, can anyone else recommend something/somewhere similar that is not going to break the bank when we get there?! Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lilmissmoore, Welcome to snowHead
The Sella Ronda is awesome this year. There's a thread running on it already - have a read, here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lilmissmoore, unless something catastrophic happens weather wise (in which case everywhere will be in the same boat) you should be fine in Champoluc. We were there last weekend and in 8 years of going there (the inlaws came from/have a house there) I have never seen so much snow. >1m on the terrace, ~2m in town.

Extraordinary.

Where are you thinking of staying?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply. Not sure where we are staying yet - I have found a wonderful little hotel called the Breithorn in Champoluc which I think looks lovely, so we may stay there. It seems to have very good reviews. Do you ahve any recommendations at all?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lilmissmoore: I haven't stayed at the Breithorn but I have stayed at Chalet Mascognaz, which is owned and operated by the same people. The staff were excellent, the food was delicious, and some of the wines served with dinner had our wine buffs' eyes popping.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lilmissmoore, Breithorn is excellent.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lilmissmoore - I was in Champoluc in Jan, I have to say, I wouldn't recommend it to a complete beginner. The intermediates in your group will be fine, but you should be aware that virtually all runs in the area are red, with a few blacks. Of the three or so blue runs, even they had surprisingly steep pitches in places. Also, many of the lifts only have reds going off them, so you really will be very limited in terms of what you can do.
There's a nursey slope off the first Gondola that takes you up from resort, the next gondola up is definately reds only.

If you want to ski in Italy, for a mixed group like yours, maybe consider La Thuile or Sestriere? They're both high altitude, with big and varied ski areas.

Nothing at all against Champaluc - we had a great time - but even timid intermediates would struggle there IMHO.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajpaul, hmmm, we've had many complete beginners out, without any problems. The colour of runs is a misleading metric. 'Er indoors entire family learned to ski there. Her old man taught himself having nailed his clogs to old barrel staves (SRSLY).

(Yes, I am trying to find an old picture...)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Her old man taught himself having nailed his clogs to old barrel staves

Laughing Superb! Presumably whilst wearing something suitably tweedy?

Take your point about the grading of runs - but I still think, regardless of which colour, that it would all have been a bit steep and narrow for me as a novice skier, particularly when there are other much more beginner friendly resorts in the Aosta Valley. I'm thinking in particular of the amount of runs that somebody could reasonably access in their first weeks skiing in Champoluc before it gets a bit repetative.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it there, and will definately return. On the plus side, if booking through Ski2, they have a British ski school, which is a definate advantage over other resorts in the area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajpaul, SRSLY!!! He was EXCELLENT!!!

I do mean seriously and I believe there are pictures somewhere. I am trying to find them. Yeah, you make fair points, depends on the snow conditions, the skier, etc., though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to book Champoluc after all - I am going to have a few lessons before I go though!!!! Thanks everyone!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy