Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Hotel La Collina, Saas Fee with The Family Ski Company?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been here and can comment, good or bad please?

Specifically, where is it situated? Is it a long schlep to and from the lifts? Is the bus/mini train convenient and frequent?

Skiing, is it a good place for a young child(4) to progress onto blues? Or is it too disjointed/too high/too weather vulnerable?

I have heard very positive reports of Eskimos ski school.

The staff? Food?

The little swimming pool in the hotel is it ok?

Any info or comments gratefully received snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, I'm sure the local rep will fill you in on detail. Can't tell you anything about La Collina except that it is a sufficient distance from the slopes that you will want to use the Allalino electric bus/train thing, especially with a 4 yo. The nursery slopes are IMO very good with plenty of variety. Has your daughter skied before? The T-bars on the mountain aren't very suitable for very little ones, but you can avoid these by taking a gondola up to Felskinn (either the Alpin Express or the Felskinn lift) and walking through the tunnel to the piste (that is, not continuing up to the top, but bearing right just before the barrier to the Metro Alpin). From here you can ski down a blue run to the middle station of the Alpin Express (at Morenia) and take the Alpin Express lift back to Felskinn. There are variations on this route which are fairly obvious once you have done it a couple of times. The run down from Morenia can get busy and may best be avoided by taking the lift down, but there is a button lift a little way below Morenia (on the right as you look down the slope) which serves a blue run (if you get off to the left) or a way back to Morenia (if you get off to the right). This all assumes your little one has not skied before. If you are careful the runs are not too disjointed. Altitude should not present any particular difficulties and the weather is no different to any other resort.

I can't give you a wholly unbiased view of Eskimos ski school because my daughter works for them in her holidays. I have watched her looking after and teaching her little ones and she works hard at it. The real advantage, of course, is the small group size.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Derek Jackson, thnk you very much for your comments. It's one of 3 options we are considering. I am very keen on trying Eskimos and keen on Saas Fee as having other fun things to do with a little one, but the long transfer from Geneva (3.5 hrs I believe) and the amount of trekking about with a young child are not appealing! I will keep mulling it over snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sarah,

Was in the very hotel with the FSC this January!

1. The Skiing. For toddlers we found there to be a missing link, if you will, between the children's ski area and the blues - they moved from a very safe environment with magic carpet onto the main blue with button lifts (which could get quite busy and which had a distinct camber towards the buttons). .I think there should have been an intermediate stage. Also with adults: There was a difference between the blues on the nursery slopes and the mountain blues - which were pretty steep in places and narrow in others (though mostly wide). We were recommended ONLY to do the blues from the top of the T-Bar from Morenia (which takes you to near Felskinn) down to Morenia. Even the experienced skiers were saying the blue down to Saas Fee (in Jan) was "horrible".

2. Hotel was nice and comfortable. Food was good. Swimming pool, jacuzzi (essential to ease aching muscles) along with Turkish and Swedish sauna. Not so sure about having to sit on tables for meals with other guests as you inevitable find there are some you'd rather avoid! Almost seemed to be some kind of social experiment going on. However the price was very good so it all balances out! Oh, and they have tea on tap! Staff are great and work hard.

3. The kids take the special train/bus thingy down to the nursery slopes and the ski lockers are right by the slope. All very convenient, I preferred to walk down (10 mins) through the town and get a coffee en-route (about E5!!!) Only electric carts allowed in town.

4. Ski pass expensive

5. Eskimo very good - especially for individual lessons.

Shame Family Ski don't do Italy!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy