Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sell me the idea of a long weekend's skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about trying to squeeze another long weekend's skiing in sometime end March. So I'm looking at flights, hire cars, resorts close to Geneva etc as normal but then I think... what about a quick blast up the M6?

I don't know Scotland particularly well and next to nothing about the skiing but I did spend a long weekend MTBing round the Cairngorms in the summer.

So...
where's likely to have snow at the end of March?
where's best to stay?
we'll have a boarder with us - which areas are best for boarders (most chair lifts)?
is the snow reliable enough to book in advance?

Ta,
Higs
snow report
 brian
brian
Higs, only do it if you'll be happy with a weekend where you might not get to ski on some or all days.

Best snow bets are Glencoe, Nevis and Cairngorm.

Best to stay - location wise I'd probably aim to be somewhere around Nevis and Glencoe as they make a great 2 centre weekend. You can add the Gorm to the mix, it's about an hour and a half drive from Nevis so with a bit of driving you can place yourself handily enough for all 3.

Boarders - Cairngorm has the funicular, from which you can access a good variety of runs. Nevis and the Coe have a skiing chair each (and an access lift each) but in reality you're not going to get anything like the real feel of any of our hills without being happy riding tows.

Sadly not. With average luck from now you'll get pretty reasonable cover on the main runs, with bad luck nothing, with good luck some great off piste as well. As ever in Scotland the surface could be anything from concrete, powder, spring snow, slush, ....

With the current crunchy credit conditions, as long as you steer clear of school easter hols you should be able to wait and pick your accom based on a last minute survey of snow conditions and weather forecast. Flexibility is definitely the key to enjoying Scotland. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well here is my sales pitch (see detailed account at the end) but that was the best snow for years.

And this was my suggestion for the last (off-piste) run if the snow is good enough.

Week-ends of 21/22 March or 28/29 March may be prime ones to be considered.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where to stay?....
http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/aviemore/index.htm? often have some great offers on
February's is £19.99 per room room only.... and it still is...

It's a 3* / 4* hotel

I've used this twice this month Very Happy

I think March is £29.99 or £39.99 per room but I can't find the voucher code at the moment....

Breakfast is £7.50 per person if you want it...

Also stayed here: http://www.rowantreehotel.com/
very nice with good food but 2 miles out of town...

And here: http://www.cairngorm.com/
very good and in the middle of town

Both reasonably priced... ring them up you should get a better price than advertised on their website Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 18-02-09 20:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Higs, where are you based? Are you the Higs of STW from Macc / Bollington? Fancy picking up a hitchhiker on the A6? Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt wrote:
Higs, where are you based? Are you the Higs of STW from Macc? Fancy picking up a hitchhiker on the A6? Smile

I am he. If we do it, I'm sure we can pick you up.

II - I'm pretty sure we ate at the Cairngorm hotel (and had a pint, possibly more Little Angel) on our MTB tour of the Cairngorms. We were actually staying the night at the Loch Morlich YH but nipped into Aviemore to eat.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hubby and I went for a weekend once - my mum is in Hamilton so we dropped the kids there and headed off on the Friday morning.

We knew that Glenshee was closed, we stopped at the Lecht and skied for an afternoon there on 'sugar' snow with freezing winds and some light rain.
We stayed at the MacDonalds in Aviemore. Had a lovely meal. Saturday we went to the ski area but just about everything was shut due to wind and/or lack of snow and it was freezing so we just looked and then decided to go for a walk and take a trip on the steam railway in Aviemore. Sunday it was brilliant sunshine - t-shirt weather - we hired mountain bikes!

We had a brilliant weekend, but not much skiing LOL!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Higs wrote:
nbt wrote:
Are you the Higs of STW from Macc?

I am he.

Am I the only snowHead who doesn't also post on STW? Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
Higs wrote:
nbt wrote:
Are you the Higs of STW from Macc?

I am he.

Am I the only snowHead who doesn't also post on STW? Smile

I've not seen David Goldsmith over there either.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do you have an MTB Rob? Maybe you should consider it....

Higs, 6 hours driving from Stockport to Aviemore or Fort william. Based on a car getting 40MPG, petrol should be under £100, quite reasonable when you consider that the train is £100.80 per person (I've just checked) although that does include getting the sleeper train back down, and flights would be over £100. That is of course if my sums are correct...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maybe we shoudl ask Brant to make skis and superstar to make bindings to keep all you stw guys busy on here aswell.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh dear, over half of the snow depth in Scottish ski "resorts" just melted.

Even before that they said there wasn't enough to cover the rocks on the back of Nevis - so how much do they need? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball wrote:

Even before that they said there wasn't enough to cover the rocks on the back of Nevis - so how much do they need? Puzzled

I think it's more to do with wind direction either plastering the frontside or dropping into the back, rather than how much they get in one or two storms. I guess the recent storms weren't a good direction for the back....

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt wrote:
Do you have an MTB Rob? Maybe you should consider it....

I do have a Marin something or other, but it sees mountains about as often as a Chelsea Tractor goes off-road Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
papasmurf, Brant already sells snowboard helmets. Well, planet-x does anyway.
latest report
and they look rubbish...most have been a job lot to fill a container.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some photos should swing it. I live in Manchester & could guide you round any of the ski areas. Been to 8 UK ski areas since Jan 08, including all the Scottish ones at least twice (some many more). Either need a lift or you can phone/text if you want. The photos will explain why I'm not offering a lift - not got a passenger-friendly car. Can usually predict a decent weekend, as you can also see from the photos. My advice: never plan too early, or be ready to call it off. Start considering on wednesday & make a rough plan thursday. If you want advice (been mentioned many times):
http://www.winterhighland.info/
My photos of recent skiing:
http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829
snow conditions
what...snow, VERY nice photos!
snow conditions
Hmmm.... I think I'll plan a weekend in the Alps and grab a weekend in Scotland if the opportunity arises.

The only problem being that (with family and other commitments) it's unlikely that I can swing two weekends before the snow goes.
snow report
I've been pricing it tup - my problem is money, not time, and TBH for the price of a weekend in Scotland I can get probalby get a full week on a last-minute deal, so I'm probalby out.
snow report
Higs - Sounds reasonable.

nbt wrote:
I've been pricing it tup - my problem is money, not time, and TBH for the price of a weekend in Scotland I can get probalby get a full week on a last-minute deal, so I'm probalby out.

I'm surprised - how does it add up?
snow report
Travel time is about the same, so it's purely fiscal. £30 for petrol, £30 per person per night for a room, maybe B&B if you're lucky. Add on ten to fifteen pounds per night for an evening meal. Based on a 3 day trip, that's £150 to £200. You can usually get a last minute half board deal for a full week for around £300 which includes flights and transfers to a well known and probalby more snow- and ski-sure resort than the scottish resorts
snow report
nbt, your reasons are fair enough but me and a mate have took the gamble on a weekend trip for the 13th-16th March. The total for trains (Fort William), accomadation and lift passes (Nevis) has come in at £125, plus beer and food money the long weekend should come in at well under £200!

If you've got the extra cash I to would have a late deal, but if your budget is tight the options are there. I must point out that we did use vouchers for 2for1 train tickets and the accomadation is a hostel but for anyone sat complaining that they can't afford a ski break, it's these options or nothing!

However looking at the webcams at the moment I can see us spending the money for the lift passes on beer and pool! Shocked
ski holidays
manicpb, that's a pretty good price I must admitt but sadly Mrs NBT would never agree to a stay in a hostel like a YHA dorm, only one with private facilities - and they cost as much as a B&B. Maybe one day I'll ski scotland!

ANd yes, when I say fiscl I mean value for money. Id rather spend a little more and get a lot more skiing, if you see what I mean

Hope your trip goes well though!
ski holidays
Higs wrote:
Sell me the idea of a long weekend's skiing in Scotland

Certainly, that'll be £29.99 (including the Sunday papers), unless you want extra-long (£35.99 including the Wednesday papers).
ski holidays
nbt, I agree with that logic but the big thing for many of us who do make a weekend of Scotland is simply that we can. I guess you might select your skiing trips on the same basis as I do, i.e. never feel any compulsion or attraction to return to the same place again, no matter how extensive, beautiful, chilled etc you remember your last trip. Just select on the basis of what's available, where's the snow going to be good and what is going to offer the best value. The advantage of skiing in Scotland though is that you can fit in a day or three here and there without using up your annual holiday allowance, still buy a couple of bargain Euroweeks and rack up a total of 25 days or more skiing per year for the same price that many would happily pay for a single week in a luxury chalet.
ski holidays
moffatross, Indeed, If I had the money and didn't detest travelling by car, I'd be up in Scotland at any opportunity. However, it's not right for me Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy