Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-weight bearing leg exercises

Poster: A snowHead
As stated in another thread after a ski accident I have a hairline fracture of the tibia just underneath the knee. Doc has said 6 weeks recovery from time of accident so have ca 4 weeks to go.

Want to keep as much fitness and leg strength without damaging the knee. Which non-weightbearing exercises might be suitable?

Have a recumbent exercise bike - is this likely to stress the knee more? I'm not suffering any knee pain at the moment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, dare I suggest you see a sports injury physio? A session will not be ruinously expensive, may even be free through your GP, and you will be advised on exercises appropriate to your specific case.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles,

Yes I'm planning to see a physio in the near future - just wanted to see if people here had any suggestions that I could put forward to the physio.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, with you. FWIW I have seen too much of orthopaedic wards in my life - and follow up physio. I don't recall exercises for the non-weight-bearing leg until it could take weight. But I will be interested to see if advice is changing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you can't bear weight, not sure how much you can do that will help strength/endurance. would have thought you could be working on maintaining/improving your range of movement (which reduces at an alarming rate if you're not careful!)

however, you should definitely take a physio's advice over mine!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, you could try hydrotherapy, where the weight to be borne is much less.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm no expert but I'd have thought there were some Pilates exercises you could do that would help maintain muscle tone without being weight-bearing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pool running?

Looks a bit silly and I guess it's not 100% non-weight bearing, but I see quite a few people doing it in the pool at my gym whilst their injured.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj, laundryman, yes, I had forgotten working out in the pool - it is something I did on physio advice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, doubtless recovering from the same injury as me!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Which non-weightbearing exercises might be suitable?

Is this a space-walking question? Please contact NASA (National Austrian Space-cadet Administration).

DB, I'm currently praying for your speedy recovery on a deeply cushioned prayer cushion (recommended). I'll also pray for maintenance of your knee muscles, your renewed sanity when skiing off-piste, and a lifetime of freedom from 'non-weightbearing exercises'.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks David.

So I damage my knee, have to cancel two ski holidays in March. Loads of snow falls (60 to 100 cm fresh on some local hills) but worst of all - Goldsmith finally goes skiing again just when I can't.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually I've got a hugely embarrassing admission to make, which will probably put your knees under further strain as your body collapses with laughter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Check with physio - but deep water aqua worked for me one time... (Diving pool so it really is non-weight bearing)... With a float belt you can even "run" in deep water....

When I did the MCL I was TOLD in no uncertain terms to get into the pool with a kickboard...backstroke kick/ freestyle kick... no breaststroke....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've heard mixed reports from others but what do snowheads think about Muscle Stimulators?

http://www.sport-tiedje.co.uk/compex/compex_misport.htm
snow report
DB, personally I'd take advice from a doctor before f**king about with stuff like that. And bear in mind that all kinds of weird treatment gets recommended in Austria, such as going into caves next to ski resort names that start with 'Bad...'

One doctor hooked a corpse up to a lightning rod and achieved rather more than the muscle stimulation he was maybe intending.

That said, I'm a great believer in experimentation, so definitely go for it.
snow report
DB, can I suggest you looking at this web forum where you can exchange ideas with a variety of odds and ends with similar worries Laughing

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php

Where in the "land of Lederhosen" are you based? The Thermen in your area may well be a good option for all the laughter it will cause here. I had surgery on my knee last summer lasting 6+ hours and am skiing again, just 6 months later, so they must be doing something right. My UK docs wrote me off years ago and relegated me to the Blue Badge car parks!

Sue wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,

Thanks, I'm in the capital (Vienna). Isn't Samerberg Bavarian?

I'll have to get down the pool with some flippers, inflatable armbands and goretex Lederhosen then.
ski holidays
So long as it doesn't involve mixing water with electricity. Have you read about Galvani, DB? He electrified frogs' legs, but human legs would probably work just as well, so please continue with the experimentation:

Wikipedia wrote:
In 1783, according to popular version of the story, Galvani dissected a frog at a table where he had been conducting experiments with static electricity. Galvani's assistant touched an exposed sciatic nerve of the frog with a metal scalpel, which had picked up a charge. At that moment, they saw sparks and the dead frog's leg kick as if in life.

Please post a video.
snow report
DB, I could see a physio devising work on quads which wouldn't load the knee too much..but if you couldn't do that, then your skiing timescale wouldn't work at all, IMV.
snow report
JT,
Skiing in 1 weeks time is out, the fracture line is too deep for any doctor to give me the go ahead for weight bearing in that time. Holiday was cancelled today. I've read stories of people who had a similar fracture and exercised doing more damage. Yes I will probably have to ditch skiing until Easter at the earliest, perhaps the rest of the season but better that than cracking the bone and going in for an op. Some of the people on the knee site Sue mentioned above are talking about problems years after a Tibial plateau fracture Shocked I was moving a fair bit and it could of been a lot worse.

OK so I'm not going to ski in all this fantastic snow but hey there will be snow next year, you lot will just have to put a few turns in for me this season. snowHead
ski holidays
yeh there will be snow next year........i was planning on goin easter tooo....we'll just have 2 work hard on gettin fit again once we get the go ahead....off the crutches....whoohoo....

keep us posted on progress...i just feel in limbo...but just think how much we'll enjoy it next year Twisted Evil snowHead Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
DB, Yep sure is - I'm sitting at 800m above the A8 and A93 watching everyone trying to either get to the slopes or get home. As the satellite dish is covered in snow there's no signal getting through so the entertainment is either watch the fun and games on the roads or German TV - no contest really! Toofy Grin

Thank God there's no 6 Nations this weekend - I've got a seat reserved in front of the box for next Friday evening (Beeb2 or as back-up S4C)

Quote:

Some of the people on the knee site Sue mentioned above are talking about problems years after a Tibial plateau fracture I was moving a fair bit and it could of been a lot worse.

Remember on the Knee Geeks site there are a lot of horror stories because a) the site is global and b) people go there often after things have gone pear-shaped. The Americans on there seem to have had a tremendous amount of surgery on stuff that would be treated conservatively on this side of the Pond. Stick to the Cruciates and the TPF boards looking for the stickies especially

Sue wink
ski holidays
Thanks Sue.

Ironically the place where I had the accident (Johnsbach) during minimal snow cover two weeks ago is now cut off from the outside world after heavy snowfall (70 to 100 cm fresh). rolling eyes
snow report
DB, We have the same problem - getting out of my village was interesting to say the least this morning I have to up initially before going 5km down a road with a 15% gradient and no safety barriers! Shocked

I'm now in my "work" base west of Munich where I stay until Wednesday evening. Hopefully the slight thaw that has set in will enable them to make the road home safer before the next dump arrives! (Forecast for Thursday/Friday) I'm just hoping they are wrong as I want to watch the France vs Wales match, seeing as it could be a real crunching decider!

Hope you are managing to get some kind of training in - heel slides static quads etc. BTW I forgot to mention the recumbent bike should be OK but check with your Krankengymnast or chirurg(in) first. Resistance set at zero and gradually increasing time and intensity of the rpm is what I did during my NWB period last summer.

Sue wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy