Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried Head Bigesay snowblades?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife tried some Salomon minimax 99’s a few weeks ago in La Plagne and loved them so much she stayed on them for the rest of the week. She much preferred them to skis as her technique was better and found them easier all round. As a result I bought her a pair of 2nd hand Head Bigeasy 94’s. These have a normal ski binding rather than the clip arrangement so should be a lot safer. However, they are a bit shorter (94cm) and are noticeable wider and more curvier (very similar to some skis). She is not an adventurous skier being happiest on a blue run and unlikely to do loops, jumps and (intentionally) go off piste.

She has not yet skied on them (or should that be bladed) and I wondered what they were like to use (both on/off piste) ie, faster or slower on the steeps, better to carve turns, more / less control etc.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to get your hopes up, this isn't any informationand I hope I don't send the thread off on a tangent before you get some. I have no experience of blades at all. Anyway, I did once hear a young boy ask his Dad what they were. His father answered "They're for fun, not like real skis". Laughing

Again, sorry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't been on that exact one, but they will be marginally slower than the minimax 99s. She will be able to take them into light powder, which they'll cope with better than the Salomons, and she should find making tight turns easier.
But all these differences will be fairly slight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My wife has them.Only one day so far(last day in Soldeu-bargain price)however the difference was immediate;she fell over less!!Being a lot wider than other blades makes them more stable.The length makes them dead easy to turn and she seemed to travel at a similier speed to skis.I think this was because she tends to plough skis & slow down whilst blades travel a lot straighter.There was a thread on the other place about BigEasy's.A number(mostly ladies)raved about them.It has to be said that a lot of women do struggle with skis;mostly down to general leg strength and nervous tendencies IMHO?What does it matter,its supposed to be fun.I'd rather my wife had fun on blades than spend all week struggleing on skis.She actually prefers her skis Confused (she's a woman,confusing is her middle name)
I think all that is happening is that her learning curve is a lot gentler than mine;and it simply is not realistic of me to expect her to learn as quickly as some others have.So,my advice;have fun on the blades but dont abandon the skis.Skis are a lot more capable but blades are great fun.Enjoy both Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I tried blades in Austria two years ago, cant wait to get hold of a pair next week. I was very nervous about anything remotely red until I put them on. They increased my confidence and were far easier to ski on. I know its cheating but at least I can keep up on them!!!!!! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My husband says they reminded him of the short skis used for teaching in France, apparently they used to (still do) use a shorter ski to teach.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fruity wrote:
I tried blades in Austria two years ago, cant wait to get hold of a pair next week. I was very nervous about anything remotely red until I put them on. They increased my confidence and were far easier to ski on. I know its cheating but at least I can keep up on them!!!!!! Embarassed

Nowt wrong with that. You're on holiday, do what you enjoy. Very Happy
They probably make traverses easier, too?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the comments. I agree with the above, if it means you are more able to ski runs that would be more difficult on normal skis then there can't be too much wrong (can there?). While away recently a friend was also struggling big time on skis, she swopped to blades and although basic ability was still poor at least she was able to turn better and get around the mountain.

Several people have said they are a good method of improving basic ski technique but I think the wife would prefere to stick with blades. Call me old fashioned but I prefer skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a pair of Head Big Easy 94's and think they're great. The main difference your wife will notice is they're heavier than normal blades because of the quick release bindings. But she will still be able to do everything that she did on the minimax's, plus as WTFH said she'll be able to venture off piste in light powder. I now tend to use my head Big Easy's more than I do my skis as I generally have more fun on them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want some in depth info about blades and a really good forum try www.skiboards.com, that was the site that convinced me I was right to stick to blades in favour of skis, despite all the flack I got from the "experts". Heads are heavier as said before, and because of the distance between ski and boot, you get a slight delay in response, but they will float better in the cut up stuff and new snow. You can of course now get the Salomon 99's with release bindings. Generally speaking, the wider the blade the better the float. Blades now go up 123 cms, though some will argue that a true blade is never over 100cm. Have fun, I've never looked back since dumping my skis!!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 11-05-07 9:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or you could go for the Icelantic Scout SFT designed for light people at 143 long with a 105mm waist.

Blush Blush
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Input from Mrs Chris. I have a pair of Head Big Easys and find them great fun. I used them for a whole season after coming off second hand Head skis and I found they improved my skiing enormously as it was much easier to turn. I soon found I could ski anywhere, including moguls, icy runs and off piste. In fact, I could go anywhere on the mountain with them. If you are familar with the technical side of skiing, carving will be easy. The downside was less stability at speed but their shortness makes you feel like you are going fast anyway. When Chris went back onto long skis, I found he was leaving me behind and eventually he persuarded me relectantly to back to long skis which I managed much better than I had before I went onto blades. I think the season on Blades definitely improved my skiing and my confidence. I still like to go out on them now and again and enjoy not using poles but that can be a disadvantage too when on the flat. I also found them difficult in slush during spring conditions. I now lend them our to visitors and family that stay who are beginners. The release bindings are excellent - very easy to put on and take off. The quality and construction of the Head Big Easys are excellent compared to most other blades. In all, I think your wife will be very pleased with them and they should improve her skiing and confidence no end. She will soon be off those blue runs!

I agree with all the comments made bysnowskisnow,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy