Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To the Alpes on Train.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im looking at the idea for next years trip by taking train and bus from the UK to the Alpes.

Any advice / tips.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, book early if going at peak times, as the direct trains will go quickly. Keep an eye out here for when the Ski Train schedule is released - I think August time

I have never taken it, but my parents have used the direct daytime train for last 4 years. Leaves London at around 10am and gets to Bourg at 7pm. From there is a short transfer to many of the major resorts.

Have seen many other posts about other options, changing in Paris, booking direct with TGV etc so sure someone will be along shortly with more experience than mine!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bump!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.sncf.co.uk/default.asp

You have to do it two separate bits London - Paris then Paris- Alps.

Seems to serve most stations in the Alps. I've just looked at it for a trip this march and it worked out about £200 return. Will probably cheaper if you book earlier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, train can be a very economical way to travel, especially if you avoid overnight travel and of course it is environmentally friendlier than plane and can be just as quick as Boris states.

I am traveling by day from London to Grenoble and then bus to Les Deux Alpes in March for a total price of £99 return for train and 7.40 euro return for the bus, with a total journey time of about nine hours from London to hotel - I challenge anyone to beat that price traveling by plane if you add the usual extras like airport parking, travel to airport, ski carriage, restrictions on luggage weight, etc, etc, and far less stress Laughing Laughing I used the Rail Europe website http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=36 and booked 12 weeks before travel which is the earliest tickets become available.

Of course the night train might be a little more expensive but does give you two extra days skiing snowHead snowHead

Have fun Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wot Richard E said - I went to Grenoble (for LDA) from Newark by train, by day, and enjoyed it. More about train travel here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have been skiing in France many times by train:

Direct eurostar (day or night options) - Valmorel, Les Arcs, La Plagne, La Rosiere (you can also use it for val d'isere/tignes, sainte foy and others)

eurostar plus sleeper from gare du nord - same resorts as above

eurostar to paris plus TGV to annecy (I think it was annecy) to get to La Clusaz

Eurostar to paris, cross paris to night train to Argentiere Les Ecrins (Briancon line) for Puy St vincent..you could also use this for serre chevalier.

We have undertaken several of these journeys with children in tow. Without children it would be even more straightforward.

Would highly recommend train travel as a relaxing way to go to the alps. Unfortunately it isn't always the cheapest option!

Have a look at a website called Seat61..I think this lists some places that you can get to by train. There are lots of resorts in Austria and switzerland accessible by rail and maybe a few in Italy too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ps. the 3 valleys is also easily accessible by train (we staye in val thorens)..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can reccomend Austria by Eurostar to Brussels and Bergland Express. It's a couchette job from Brussels. Unforrunately it's likely to be cheaper to fly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy