Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon & le Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a week in the above and thought the place was wonderful. Not going to bore you with long tales of runs, restaurants, etc but it should defo be considered as a cheaper alternative to the mega-resorts (£230 per person for a lovely 8 person, ski in/out apartment and grand massif lift passes). Not many people in the UK (nor France where I'm working at the mo) seem to have heard of the place but the skiing is superb (suitable for all levels and extensive) and it was noticeably cheaper in terms of accommodation, lift passes, eating-out, etc than the 3Vs or other such places. It's also only a 45min-1hr transfer from Geneva. I wouldn't recommend it if you like big après, clubs, etc to go with your skiing but it's perfect for families (or if, like us, you're keen to ski hard without the risk of the pesky beer monkey preventing you from making first lifts). The place also seems devoid of the large hordes of Brit, Russian, etc tourists- defo a bonus in my book.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you will find quite a few snowHead 's know this wink
Quote:

Not many people in the UK (nor France where I'm working at the mo) seem to have heard of the place
and long may it stay so. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The place also seems devoid of the large hordes of Brit, Russian, etc tourists

You weren't in Flaine then?! Agree on most of your points though, great ski area Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gsb wrote:
I think you will find quite a few snowHead 's know this wink
Quote:

Not many people in the UK (nor France where I'm working at the mo) seem to have heard of the place
and long may it stay so. Madeye-Smiley

Agreed- as the plethora of advice I got from snowHead s prior to my trip shows. But the people on this forum are much better informed than the average "one week a year lets go to Meribel/Courch/Val/St Anton/Verbier (delete as appropriate)' Brit skier.

Flaine defo had a higher Brit representation than the other GM resorts but still nothing on the standard Alpine venues.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeeze Tommy4681, as a skiier don't go telling everyone......... it's great!!

on second thoughts;

Jeeze Tommy4681, as a chalet owner tell everyone.......... it's great!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marcellus, it was you that paid me to write this! I've never even been to the Grand Massif.... wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my favourite resorts too for great value and that's what many clients tell us http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/morillon.htm. if you want a little more nightlife (still on the quiet side) Samoens next door is worth looking at too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
only 4 weeks to go before we join Marcellus in Les Carroz. Looking forward to it as we are having a break from the kids ! (the kids are lovely but 4 days without them will be the well earned break we need !) no rushing back to pickl them up from ski school / kids club. Long slow runs down from the highest lift at 5pm follwed by a vin chaud on the way down !!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
backhojo, liking the sound of these hard days skiing................................. Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I must admit the price is unbeatable when it includes the Gand Massif pass.

In addition to Morillon the Grand Massif of course includes Flaine, La Carroz and Sameon which are all linked to offer 265 km piste, except Sixt. Each area is quite nice to ski but when I was a bit greener I found the links from one area to another can be a let down for being over-trafficed (from Flaine to Carroz), narrow (Flaine to Morillon), too flat (the green run at top of Carroz and Le Lac lift) or too steep (next to Vernant lift and the final approach to Les Molliets) and have long queues (Molliets lift). Many others skiers were caught out. These features were still apparent to me when I last visited it in 2003. It is possible some of the shortcoming might have been rectified.

Condition wise I had never managed to go there when it was possible to ski down to La Carroz by the sarbotte run which looked very attractive to me at the time from looking from the road on driving up. We eventually found better snow by driving a little bit further but by different road to Morillon or Samoens, which is almost at the back of the domain, as the access points. We later found Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz consistently whiter and didn't return to Grand Massif afterward, but we had many spectacular skiing days there especially in the wind-shield Morillon and Samoens as we found Flaine to be a bit exposed for being at the top. The in-resort high-rise naked concrete buildings of Flaine can put off some visitors, who prefer rustic Alpine charm and that doesn't do justice to other areas which have the traditional village appeals.

The Grand Massif lift system is very modern and can put the Swiss side of the Porte du Soleil to shame. It is a good place to ski but its neighbouring France side of Porte Du Soleil is marginally better if snow is in short supply, significant larger (the whole Porte du Soleil has 650 km piste) and can be skied to another country.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy