Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ADVICE PLEASE FOR SKIING IN CANADA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are hoping to go in the Easter school hols at the beginning of April 2010. We are a group of 40 somethings with our teenagers tagging along. We have skiers and boarders in our group of varying skill levels.

We don't mind which part of Canada we go to but we would like to be wow'd by the snow quality. Obviously we need a resort which has plenty of snow for the time of year we are going. We also like a good drink after a long days skiing so a medium to large resort would suit. The tricky part is we want good value for money for food and drinks, is there such a place?

Any advice or tips gratefully accepted.

Michelle
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In April I'd probably head somewhere like Banff / Lake Louise to be sure of good snow quality. Whistler and interior BC can be a bit dubious that late in the season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would agree with UKtrailmonster Banff is good as Alberta is slightly cheaper than BC, also less flight time. Banff also has a good nightlife as it is a decent sized town. The bus transfers to the ski hills are pretty good so I wouldn't worry about ski in/out. Also not a great season for Whistler and it likes we are on for another dry week this week. Hope that helps...

Oh and don't forget you will only need two decent meals a day!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster, Whistler stays open until June. it's as reliable in April as anywhere in the world. If you can afford it, go there. I go every may and it is superb.

Early April is also a top time to go to Banff for snow conditions and weather at lake louise and Sunshine. So if you can put up with the buses, go for it. truly beautiful time to be up there, good wildlife spotting chances.

Other places in Canada quiet/closing early April, so probably notmany other choices.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd echo Banff for the sake of the teenagers - you would NOT want to be stuck in Lake Louise/Red/Interior BC with teens. Shocked

The kids will love it, Banff has the highest incidence of STD/drug use in Canada! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gortonator, I know Whistler stays open, but the chance of rain lower down increases in April. Banff is generally colder and drier, that's all. Most of the interior resorts close early to mid April, but more from lack of people than snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Banff, and ski at Sunshine Village.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
Banff, and ski at Sunshine Village.

Seconded! Banff is a great base for the 3 mountains - plus theres other stuff to do away from the slopes, plus Calgary is only and hour and a half or so away so transfer not too painful
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's all about Banff- Sunshine and Lake Louise. I've been there for Easter many times over the years (indeed I'll be there this year too) and the snow and weather have always been fantastic. Banff as a town is great fun too. Do it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow thanks everyone I wasn't expecting so many replies. Banff/Sunshine it is then. Just been to the travel agents to have a nosey at the brochures although we may just book it seperately. If anyone has any recommendations for accomodation that would be great please. Lastly what sort of prices would we be paying for a main course or a large beer.

Thanks again

Michelle
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The other year we stayed in the cheapest self catering apertment in Banff we could find and it was still excellent (big rooms,cable tv, your own ski locker in the apartment, right next to the bus stop etc...)

I cant remember how much a beer was although remember that a North American pint is smaller than ours.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have been to Banff 3 times - stayed at Inns Of Banff (basic, 30 minute walk into town, great rooftop hot tub), Caribou Lodge (near centre, great place) and Banff Springs (great experience but would not stay there again as place is vast / rooms dated). Do try the buffet at the Springs though - not sure if it's on every night / need to book.

Have a look on Tripadvisor for reviews ...

I agree with the comments re Louise / Sunshine (should have decent snow at that time of year and relatively mild temperatures should ensure decent skiing - skied in minus 35C at Sunshine in the past!).

Earls in town does great food / coctails.

Prices should be comparable to the UK ...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
prog99 wrote:
remember that a North American pint is smaller than ours.

Read this and chuckled to myself thinking what a ridiculous thing to say...then thought maybe I should check before mocking. Darned glad I did. 20 ounces vs 16 ounces indeed. Who'd have thought?!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tommy4681, all those years and you never knew Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mount royal is great, very central, free internet, and last year it was on the best place for the bus. Pick it up at ski hub and only one stop before leaving town.

Be aware at some places you could be sitting on bus 10-15min before getting out of town
latest report
Banff was great for us for 6 years at Easter. LL is a lovely place, nbg with kids though, nothing going on at all.
latest report
prog99,

Quote:

The other year we stayed in the cheapest self catering apertment in Banff we could find

Which one was this? - My experience of Banff was that there wasn't a lot of s-c accommodation.
snow report
Acacia, just checked my emails. Looks like it was RUNDLE MANOR.
latest report
Thanks everyone. Are we likely to get any deals on reduced or free lift pass deals with our accomodation? Do they have happy hour in the bars, used to Soldeu and they do a buy one get one free betwen 4 and 6pm. Thanks for the good tip about the shuttle bus its well worth knowing.
snow report
Not aware of any cheap pass deals based on accomodation except that a lot of places offer packages of room plus pass which are a good deal if you DIY, but my experience of N.America (at Easter) is that you can't beat TO prices.
There are happy hours but you may have to stop skiing early to benefit.
ski holidays
Not sure whther there are happy hours- remember over here ervything is done early- so the peak time to eat is 5:30ish. Banf isn't loaded with self catering but some of the condos have kitchens.

Gryph
ski holidays
I have stayed in the Rundle Manor in Banff twice and can agree with prog99 that is good value for money - its very close to the Ptarmigan Inn bus stop and you can use the Ptarmigan's spa facilities free of charge (or at least you can if you stay there with Inghams as we did) which were always clean and pleasant after a day on the slopes. Handily the Safeway is also just round the corner.

Just a point to note tho - if you are going in 2010 to Banff it might be worth checking up on what's going on with the free ski bus - I read on a thread on here that there was some risk of it being withdrawn or charged for or something for next season. That was a while back tho so that info might be out of date now of course.

Can't remember about happy hours - we were usually on the late buses back from the slopes so they may have all finished by the time we rolled into town. I think the bar at the base at Sunshine might do something tho.

BTW if you have your own gear and care about its appearance (like my hubby and his beloved snowboard) it might be worth taking some sort of bag for it as the ski/board holding compartments on the buses get very full and people with hire gear don't tend to be very delicate when the put their gear in or take it out.

Have a great time!
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
gortonator, I know Whistler stays open, but the chance of rain lower down increases in April. Banff is generally colder and drier, that's all. Most of the interior resorts close early to mid April, but more from lack of people than snow.

So do chances of nice sunny weather up high. Whistler is typically fabulous in April, May, June .... - deep base, less people, lower prices.

Whistler or Banff - you won't go wrong.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy