Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Economic downturn and the ski industry

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7886989.stm

Skiing inevitably will be hit as spending gets limited and purses are tightened/emptied.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
True, out Neilson rep in Selva was down 50% on last year and they are pulling out a month early.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear... maybe I should have waited for a last minute bargain?

Still, I'm not going to look now - I'd only get depressed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
www.ft.com - Lucy Kellaway's podcast on how the general economic malaise is being made massively worse in the public perception by crap journalists writing crap about how we're all GOING TO DIE TO DETH or something. Now that make a lot of sense to me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would like to think the global downturn could give a much needed boost for the British ski scene. Many boarding nights at the dryslopes have dwindled in numbers from there hey day in the mid 90's (some have give up trying) and I would like to think if they can't afford a fix abroad they might return to there roots.

However I do know how fashionable it is to stand in a pub telling your stories of far flung resorts and I don't think the picures of your local plastic hill over looking the sewage works would go down quite as well! Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If my work gave me more holidays I'd happily help keep the industry afloat!

Aviemore was absolutely heaving today with the half term holiday makers so there is a silver lining although admittedly I was a cheapskate and went touring.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Others are on a budget and steer clear of the mountain restaurants, where nowadays you will not get much change out of £80 for a simple lunch for a family of four.

Really? Really!? 80 quid for four people? 50-60 quid I can understand... but.. it's implying its near to 80. Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmaah, not far off the mark in some of the French restaurants, I would think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah wrote:
Quote:
Others are on a budget and steer clear of the mountain restaurants, where nowadays you will not get much change out of £80 for a simple lunch for a family of four.

Really? Really!? 80 quid for four people? 50-60 quid I can understand... but.. it's implying its near to 80. Shocked

That was said from Verbier.

The only two resorts mentioned in the report were Verbier and Val Thorens, which are surely two of the mst expensive places around.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah wrote:
Quote:

Set menu in 'chalet de l'arc' arcs 2000 = 24.95 euro

x 4 = c., 100 euro plus food/wine - pick you own exchange rate but it's definitely north of 80. Still it's very nice resto and worth every penny..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah wrote:
Quote:

I reckon that's about right. A main course, coke, beer and small tip set you back about 25 euros a head in the Grand Massif last week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmaah wrote:
Quote:

Main course 12-14 Euro, drink say 4, dessert or starter 5 and you're easily over 20 Euro a head for a not particularly gouging place. Add a coffee and a Twix to take out and you're another few quid down
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney wrote:
............The only two resorts mentioned in the report were Verbier and Val Thorens, which are surely two of the mst expensive places around.

Fairly easy to hit €20/pp at LDA ( I managed less, but I was definitely watching the cost) - and here are more expensive resorts in France.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
four of us Chalet Des Neiges, Les Menuires drinks before meal 2 beers 2 chocolat chantilly, main course, pudding for 1, coffee for 2 €73.40, lunch in Waitrose for two, main course and two glasses of wine each £37.50, I know which was the better value!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These discussions tend to compare apples and pears. Looking around me in many restaurants at lunch time I can see clearly that some people's idea of a "simple lunch" is a proper main course, a pudding, a drink or three and a coffee. For me, that's dinner and if I ate that lot twice a day I'd be both fat and skint. It would certainly cost substantially more than 20 euros even in a modest establishment in a modest resort (say, 17 for a steak and chips, 5 for a creme brulee, 3 for a small beer and 1.50 for a small coffee - 26.50).
ski holidays
radar wrote:
lunch in Waitrose for two, main course and two glasses of wine each £37.50

Lunch in Super U in Bourg or Geant in Albertville will be about the same price.
2 large coffees & 2 pasteries cost less than €5 in Super U. I cannot get the same in price M & S (uk)

Please tell us how much lunch would cost at a tourist attraction like Alton Towers of near Windsor Castle
latest report
The regulars/inhabitants know all the cheap/good places to eat. If you're in a new resort for just a week you tend to stop and eat wherever you are when it's time to stop and eat - well I do anyway!

We should have a thread where those in the know give the low down on good value restaurants for the major resorts, as is being done for Tignes.... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49514
ski holidays
pam w, indeed. I just assumed main meal and a drink... But then again I've not been to a french resorts, I have a love for the Austrian ones. Kaiserschmarn for 8€ and a drink for 2.50€ does very nicely for lunch...
snow report
radar wrote:
lunch in Waitrose for two, main course and two glasses of wine each £37.50

Sunday night set menu in Brassero, Tignes Le Lavachet,

Choice of 3 starters, choice of 3 main courses, including glass of wine €18 each = €36 =£34?

My favourite is stuffed peppers starter & Lamb shank main course Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy