Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies' mornings at Milton Keynes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have recent experience of this session (10 - 12 on Thursdays?). My sister in law, recovering from a bad injury to ACL two years ago, is keen to have a little dabble, and I could try out my new ski boots at the same time. Is the slope likely to be crowded this coming Thursday? The SiL will be a bit freaked if it is, but the idea of having an instructor there to give us some feedback sounds good.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, isn't it half term? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When are the men only mornings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been - but not in half-term.

When I went (2 yrs ago) there were only 6 of us on the slope and it was great - nobody was checking the times either and I think I was there for 2.5hrs. I left because I was bored and cold (forgot to take gloves durghhh! ended up putting my spare socks on my hands as I wasn't shelling out for their cr*ppy gloves).

The instructor was there, but its very low key - she sort of stood and the top and gave a few instructions its not lessons by any means.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins wrote:
When are the men only mornings?

There aren't any - apparently it is perfectly ok to have ladies swim sessions, ladies happy-hour, ladies ski morning etc - but if it was men only that's sexist rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris, why not? It's fine to have the National Black Police Association, isn't it? Women are an oppressed minority! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi wrote:
Women are an oppressed minority! Laughing
majority (oppressed or otherwise). wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not women-only. Anybody can go - the slope's not closed to anybody else.

Butterfly, because it's half term I thought everybody might have gone proper skiing! But maybe not....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, This session is normally taken by a lady called "Di", I skied with her many years ago at Hemel the few times I have been it has been very friendly and ladies of various grade's.
Cant say what the slope will be like or if there will be any activities going on due to half term, give them a call and ask them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a serious note I do think men are beginning to have a raw deal on things like this. Cas has 3 "instructor available" mornings. Monday's it's for over 50s, Tues it's ladies, Weds it's anyone. I qualify for any of them, a lady under 50 could do 2 of the 3, but a bloke under 50 only qualifies for 1. It really doesn't seem fair does it? Or is it that ladies are thought more likely to want a single sex session?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a slight "sense of humour failure" when it comes to "Ladies Only" sessions - mainly as the world seems to have a "common sense failure".

I think Butterfly, is spot on that women often prefer single sex sessions and for things like swimming there are sound reasons for many religions where being unclothed is taboo. I really don't have a problem with this - honest.

But then you here stories that like the AA being sued under sex discrimination act for giving priority to lone women motorists. This is common sense, but of course strictly speaking is breaking the law.

I suppose what I'm very badly trying to express is that I wish the world would stop being so PC and use some common sense
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris, why is the AA giving priority to lone women a good thing, but a women-only learning environment a bad thing? Seems the wrong way around to me. I've never met a bloke who has been intimidated by being taught in a group which included women, but I have met women who have been intimidated by having men in their group (especially the show-off, go as fast as we can variety). Women-only learning just seems like a sensible thing for some.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm. Quite a difficult one - I can see both sides of the argument. But when you read so many snowHead posts of the "my wife's a really nervous and timid skier, and won't blast down the blacks with me" variety (not to mention the "I took my kids round all the closed blacks in the 3 Valleys" variety), you can see the point. Also, though I've not been to MK for some years (since my "learn to snowboard in a day and knacker yourself for a week" course) the artificial slopes I've been on in the past have been predominantly peopled by males, often young, rather fast and mostly out of control. That's probably even more the case now, with so much emphasis on freestyle. For whatever reason, there are far more males than females using/enjoying those facilities so you could argue that the "ladies sessions" (which don't exclude others from the slopes) are an attempt to encourage a slight redress of the imbalance but that males are still getting the thick end of the stick.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a ladies-only ski camp - the one I went to in Tignes, some years ago, had a good gender mix. However, if I thought the whole of the group, except me, would be men (especially if they would also be far younger) I would hesitate unless I could be reassured that I was going to be able to keep up.

There are quite a lot of women's sailing courses - and having seen quite a lot of men on boats I'm not surprised. They do tend to "take over", especially when there are husband/wife teams. "It's getting rough darling, I'll take the helm; you go down and make us some nice hot soup and sandwiches".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and by the way, I'm not sure I agree that the AA should give priority to lone women. It's just pandering to the absurdly skewed idea of risk people have. They should give priority to people (of any gender) in cars with small children.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, it isn't a bad thing - I'm expressing myself really badly this morning.

My common sense view is that it makes sense for their to be ladies only ski sessions, for the reasons you outline. In the same way I would want the AA to get to Mrs Boris first if she was alone - pam w, although I sort of see your point about risk, there are reported incidents of women being attacked even on the hard shoulder.

But this is all perfectly acceptable - if there was men only sessions, I bet there would be an outcry from certain sections of the press, as it's sexist. Witness the outcry about Men Only Clubs.

Everyone should have equal opportunity, don't get me wrong on that, but if ladies want a ladies session - fine. If men want a room they can all go and sit in and fart - fine. Can we just get on with it, use some common sense and stop being hung up as to whether we are being politically correct.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy