Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why Pole Plant?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pole plant position?
There's a ski show on one of the sky channels (can't remember when, just caught one episode) where an instructor from Whistler gives a few tips. A few weeks ago he suggested that if you place your pole half/2/3rds way along your ski this would help with skiing shorter turns. Is this so? I can't recall where I place my pole, it just seems automatic.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
......uhuhuhuh you have time for see slow motion.....good for you.....aniway i never say in my life that a race is done from carved turn.......that happen only when is possible.....a lot of time the carving part is just in the second .....they pivot and when in line with the directuion thay want they carve......but i don't see the point....a part that I call tit in a different way....now I know that i have to call it "pivot".....I was just saying that the planting pole mean normally when really we massive point opur plant for help us to extend ....or pivot or what do you want....I was using this word only when I'm in the bumps......but it is your language you can be right..........when in a supgeant mister cuche plant his pole......up to me he slide the pole .....cause at that speed that planting can make him loose the balance...........cause the pole rebound back......personally I don't know why you are so polemic with the categorie of the instructor.......me I plant always my pole but at hight speed I slily tounch the snow ........I'm not using the pole for extend like when I'm in narrow gully very steep........
or in dowhill I think it is a race for who his faster sliding the skiis......we don't carve to much there......the ski slide almost always before the entry of the turns......i don't understand what the point????!!!???
but probably I need to take few lessons from someone..........do you know anione who can haelp me graham?????.....can I book a lessons somewhere??? I can pay a lot for understand the planting pole and if someone have the truth .....I pay with no problem man.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lungostyle, don't worry....with that last post it looks like we agree, and I think it's just a matter of language (and of course you're much more experienced at all this than me, so "who am I to disagree"?).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sorry, I just can't resist even if it is a slight troll.

On this thread pole planting is mostly advocated. However, in the spirit of this thread on shoulder rotation http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49099 would there be any risk that the technique of pole planting and the reach forward motion that this implies could lead to a temptation to over-rotate the shoulders?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, I don't think so. The "reach forward" is with the currently downhill arm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, not if you do it properly. As laundryman said, you plant with the inside (downhill) arm so any over-exuberant swinging of the arm won't rotate the shoulders in the style of a "gorilla turn". Pole planting in most piste skiing is a relatively small movement of the wrist and elbow, so shouldn't have much of an effect of shoulder movements.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Hands should already be in position for pole plant. No need to swing the arms - it is the pole that swings... Generally no "reaching" is needed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy