Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LCL recovery time

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like I've torn one of the stringly bits in my right knee (a bush jumped up out of shallow snow and tried to pull my right leg off). LATERAL COLLATERAL LIGAMENT is what the medical profession call it.

http://www.coachroblowe.com/injuries-lower-knee-lcl-overview.htm

Should know the full extent of the damage after picking up the MRT results tomorrow, other bits and pieces may be damaged too.

Have a ski holiday booked for first week of March, was planning to add a few days onto that and ski St Anton.

Anybody had a similar injury, if so how long did it take to heal? How long before you could ski again?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, no idea, but tough luck, and hope it heals quickly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D.Knee, what a bummer. Thinking of you.

Take the lederhosen off and put some warm trousers on - that should speed up the healing process.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks similarly bad to MCL damage. so long as you haven't completely snapped it, you should be OK, although you might want to use a brace. there is always a risk that you will mess it up further - that's down to your own risk/pain tolerance IMV.

this is based on how I coped with an L2 MCL tear, rather than proper medical knowledge
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, not a clue, but hope you recover quickly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, A torn MCL. See you next season Crying or Very sad A carving position ie angulated knees, puts a fair bit of strain on the MCL. I don't see how you cold possibly be ready in 3-4 weeks.

EDIT: Getting my L's and M's mixed up Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-02-09 15:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, i expect a lot of this is down to the individual but i was skiing again within 4 days of an L2 MCL tear. i actually didn't discover it was as bad as it was until I had an MRI done 2 months later!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Eek! I was six months off work with mine, but turned out to have fractured the tibial plate as well. Still not 'right' now! Ligament wise I was still having the occasional collapse a couple of months after. A completely individual thing though, depends entirely on extent of injury and state of knee prior. Really, best of luck to you Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the well wishes but to tell the truth I was unwisely pushing it a bit in sparse windblown snow conditions offpiste. Even my ever so considerate Austrian ski buddy said "you shouldn't of been skiing so bloody fast in those conditions". In my defence the vegetation hit was just under the surface. Looks like I got off lightly as the group thought I would be taking a helicopter ride down (the helmet earned it's keep again) they even (jokingly) compared my fall with Maier in Nagano.

As far as I am aware (awaiting confirmation by way of MRT results) it's LCL not MCL and mild. Pain is minimal, after a sharp pain it was only a little sore until the blood starting clogging up the knee. The doctors wiggled it a lot but could only get it to hurt by prodding the knee hard at a particular point. It doesn't feel unstable either.

Time will tell and the first week March is only a family ski holiday so was considering light piste skiing with the kids (unless this is totally crazy). Opinions - good or bad, pro or against welcome.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 12-02-09 16:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Bad news..... Sad stability is the key and depends how it holds up in your stance....

Once the bruising has gone down, you'll be better able to access yourself, but I'd not write off any gentle skiing yet..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, Just get the kids to laugh at you, as you sit in the restaurant.

What's a 'light piste'?

I wouldn't go around weighing pistes - you've got better things to do with your time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tore my MCL in march and had a brace for 6 weeks. It felt pretty unstable without the brace and was very swollen and sore and I couldn't properly straighten it for about a month. I had physio twice a week and went back to the gym after the 6 weeks and was back cycling to work 8 miles a day after about 8 weeks, the physio seemed to think this was pretty good progress.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I injured my knee on 6th January; just felt something "pop" gently on the inside of the right knee. The local doc (after X-ray) diagnosed a meniscus problem with some bruising; a friend who is an orthopaedic surgeon back in Scotland thought I had "torn a few fibres in the medial collateral ligament (MCL)". It was never all that sore and never swelled up. I was back skiing after a week, wearing an elastic brace. I have no problems when skiing and it is only more painful when I twist the leg (and when I fell on the knee). In my case the leg doesn't feel unstable at all. Had three visits to a physio (and my friend also recommended exercises to strengthen the quads).

I guess the effects vary a good deal from case to case and for that you'll need medical advice. Hope it gets better soon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri,

My injury seems similar to yours except that the knee did swell up. Not sure if this was blood or some other fluid as the knee didn't change colour. 6 days later the swelling is virtually all gone. Doc suspects it's LCL and possibly meniscus too. I'll see what the scan results say later today.

I'm wearing a brace that the Mrs used 10 years ago when she damged her knee. Walking around like Robocop but I think it's a bit overkill, might pick up something like this for the slopes http://www.physioroom.com/product/Mueller_Hg80_Hinged_Knee_Brace_with_Kevlar/2034/37820.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, what I have used is a much simpler version of the same sort of thing and I've only been wearing it for skiing.

It only cost €23 when I bought it in St. Johann in Tirol.

However, as I said, I always felt that my injury was relatively minor. Apart from a little pain (slightly increased if I twist or bang the knee), I haven't noticed any problems. The pain comes and goes to some extent. I have worried slightly about aggravating the problem - but not enough to keep me off the slopes Smile
snow report
I did similar damage to myself whilst learning. I however had plenty of pain which gave me information on the extent it was mending & as a reminder of how much stress I could put on the knee. I found using an elasticate joint restraint as above & a neoprene brace I could ski on it 3 months later. I fact skiing seemed to help things but I guess It would make things much worse if twisted or over extended. During the recovery time I developed a fear of narrow tracks with a sheer drop on my left side as I had little confidence about being in ull control of my left ski. It may not be comfort to you to tell you it took over a year before I stopped feeling twinges and I had full confidence to be aggressive force on that leg but after that it I feel I am stronger on that leg than before. Your injury & healing process will be different from mine & you need to get guidance from the doctors, make your own decisions which means if you are a true snowHead you will ski sooner rather than later. Insurance will be a problem as the injury needs to be declared. You could always ski on your other leg wink http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1159788&highlight=romanian&sid=eb1feda6b2f383dbdc6d7fb339c631e7#1159788
snow conditions
Good news, bad news.

Good news = LCL (outside knee ligament) und menicus are only lightly damaged and will not need operating. No long term affect in performance anticipated.

Bad News = hairline fracture to top of Tibia (shin bone). This was picked up on the MRT but not the normal X-ray.

Doc has said crutches and very little weight bearing (no sport with my legs) for 5 weeks.

Here's a pic of me skiing just after the accident (before I realized it was more than a bit of a sprain).

snow report
Sorry to hear about the fracture, DB. Doesn't sound good for your March holiday but maybe you'll manage a little more skiing before the end of the season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy