Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Booked for late April. What to expect

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a 2nd weekend break away (not sure how I have got it passed my dear wife), in late April with Mountain Sun to Tignes.

I've read some good things about MountainSun so not to worried about the accommodation etc, but was more looking for some tips on what weather / conditions etc to expect come late April.

I've only been skiing (4 times) in the depth of winter when the question is more how many layers, what kind of balaclava etc and just wanted any tips on skiing at this time of the year, what to wear etc.

Also any further reviews on MountainSun much appreciated.

Reded78 Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of snowHead s have been with Mountainsun on the Atomic boot camps (but not me!)

However, I have been to Tignes in mid April twice, the latter time we were able to ski all the way down to les Brevieres (which is where I think Mountainsun have their place).

At that time of year, you get what's known as "spring snow" which describes a daily cycle of waking in the morning to pretty hard, sometimes very hard pistes, which thaw as the day goes on starting with the those that are lower and get the early sun and progressing to the the higher, less sunblessed areas. As the thaw occurs during the day, the skiing gets easier but later on still, the snow may become quite slushy and heavy especially lower down. Overnight it all freezes again and the cycle repeats itself.

However, there has been good late snow in Tignes the last couple of years and fresh snow obviously interrupts the freeze-thaw cycle above.

Have a great time. Lots of snowHead s are (including me) are going to Val Thorens 18th-25th (probably the same week as you) for the EOSB and this has a fairly equivalent snow record and altitude, and we wouldn't all be going again if we didn't expect good skiing Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take high factor sunscreen. You get burned very easy at that altitude at that time of year. It can be pleasantly warm, a bit too hot or freezing cold and high winds, so don't omit all your cold weather gear when packing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Lord yes! Last year in April in Tignes I had a severe case of "goggle tan" that lasted months despite wearing factor 50 sunscreen and got a burnt nose in the process. I am very fair skinned and the trouble is, the sunscreen sweats off particularly as I was on an off piste course all week and therefore expending more energy than usual Very Happy

Now I use one that is like Dulux when I put it on but it stops the burning Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
rob@rar,the sunscreen sweats off particularly as I was on an off piste course all week and therefore expending more energy than usual Very Happy

And of course, wearing too many layers can have the same results for over excessive perspiration wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys thought that might be the case. Had looked at EOSB but can only get away for a few days, and the delas Mountain Sun were putting on just seem to good to refuse. I've got an exhibition to attend the week after so looks like I may be showing off my panda eyes!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, that was because I was ill! I had my insulated jacket on that week anyway as hadn't bought shell at that time so only needed a base layer and that was it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2nd Week of April last year was great for snow - in fact the weather was more like one would expect in January some days. And we did ski down to La Brevieres on fresh snow one morning - alright it was a bit wet and heavy but no rocks and cow pats to avoid.

April is the best time IMHO for skiing snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, Sounds good. GLad I booked it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was in Val a few seasons ago until 5th May - was maybe 1m of fresh snow betweeb 2 - 5 May all the way down to town. April is a great time, could be sunny spring weather with early morning hard packed piste followed by fun slushy afternoons. Off piste can be great that time of year, but you need to know when to hit which slopes to get the conditions right as the snow changes rapidly in the spring sunshine. On the otherhand you may get powder Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some pics from last April - 13th to 20th

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went in the last week of April 07 and it was ace. Warm sunshine to the extent I was skiing on the Lavachet beginner area without a jacket or even a fleece, just t-shirt! That meant by lunchtime it was getting heavy/slushy though. The chalet was really good - the staff couldn't do enough to help. The only thing was being the last week of the season some of the shops/cafes had closed, but on the other hand the place was nice and quiet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow - this all looks great. Love the pictures CP, particularly the Brevieres one, I like that run and the cafe at the bottom, we were there at Christmas. We are going back to Tignes on 18th April for a week. Have never been this late before and wanted to see what it would be like. Do I understand right in that it seems to be the last week that Tour Operators go out (we are staying in a SkiWorld chalet).

Looks good, thanks Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, I just thought of another useful tip: don't stop in the first restaurant on the left as you ski into les Brevieres; all the others are significantly cheaper.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
reded78, late April is late... even for Tignes. 9.00-11.00 icy, 11.00-13.00 perfect, 13.00-14.00 heavy (look for N facing runs), after 14.00 porridge - best to not bother, get steaming pissed over a mega lunch which then allows 17.00-19.30 nap.

Echo points above about the sun which is very, very, different to what you get in January - slather yerself in factor 'n' even if it's cloudy.
snow report
This is on the Combe de Saulire in Courchevel on 14th April 2008. Last year was pretty exceptional - I've never known it in such condition.

latest report
Has anyone else noticed that on a purely anecdotal level there appears to be big storms / high snow fall late March / early April?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy