Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I thought Bansko. NOT NOW. Help you wonderful people. Need cheap hol!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey the wonderful group of "white Knowledge"

In January next year (2010) departing the 2nd Jan to the 9th Jan. I am looking for a very cheap holiday destination for 5 people.

Requirements

1. Cheap (sub 400 for everything including food and drink ideally!)
2. Ideally a self catering apartment where booze n food is cheap to buy to keep budget below 400 per person.
3. Cheap beer (this should be number 1wink )
4. reasonable amount of skiing (although not key as its very much a social holiday with the lads)

Thats it really I was looking at bansko but reading it has become expensive for what it is now.

Im tied with the price due to going with friends who have poo-poo jobs.

So any suggestions as ever be great.

Cheers

Stuski
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski resorts are very expensive places to drink with the state of the £. - Like £8 a pint in Courchevel. Sad Under £400 inc Confused - I don't think so - a lift pass for a week is the best part of £200. Equipment another £100. The only countries (?) with currencies devalued less than ours I can think of are Iceland & Zimbabwee so I would forget skiing & get the cheapest all inclusive holiday you can find anywhere if you want to drink or to Castleford for the week & stay in a tent. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im thinking Andorra type places tbh not France!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andorra is still in the euro so no benefit there Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thats why i was going with bankso but apparently its not so cheap anymore
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stuski
Does your £400 include flights? There is a 5* fully catered chalet here offering £199 early booking for a week in Jan and flights to Calgary are £300ish reurn at the moment. Beer in Canada is around $5 a pint lift passes about $59 a day and the exchange rate is $1,75ish to the £
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bansko lift pass approx £140 for 6 days flights about £80 p/p if booked in advance, transfer £250, self catering appartment £200 that will sleep 5 and beeer in the big supermarket cost £1.8 for 2litres, in bars between £1.5 & £2.5 a pint
hope this helps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
romeowner wrote:
Bansko lift pass approx £140 for 6 days flights about £80 p/p if booked in advance, transfer £250, self catering appartment £200 that will sleep 5 and beeer in the big supermarket cost £1.8 for 2litres, in bars between £1.5 & £2.5 a pint
hope this helps

...and the place is grim, the skiing limited, the locals can be horrid and the queue for the only gondola up to 2hrs during busy weeks. Other than this, Bansko is great. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm going to Slovakia (Jasna) next week. Will report back, but it looks good from here.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lechbob wrote:
Ski resorts are very expensive places to drink with the state of the £. - Like £8 a pint in Courchevel.

Try Austria, I just got back you can get a large beer on the mounatin for €2.90 about the same as the UK, Generally speaking they were on a par with UK prices.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuski, you will be struggling to find a ski holiday for £400 all-in, even excluding beer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wait till december next year and book last minute always deals around for the weeks just after xmas\NYE
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sub 400 for everything, that's a good one Laughing !

it's the lift pass and ski/boot hire that kills it - that alone will cost you £200 min. if you are really lucky you might find a catered chalet deal for £300 last minute, maybe £500 to £600 is a more realistic cost of a cheapie?

or you could do a long weekend for closer to £400, a few people on here that can help out with that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've just returned from Bansko and shock horror.......we had a fab holiday! We got a week HB in the 4* Katarino Spa hotel (very nice place with lovely food) 2 free lift passes (crystal offer for Jan) transfers, flight and ski hire for £814 for 2 people. Obviously if it wasn't for the free lift pass then we wouldn't have been paying £400 each but if you keep an eye out for such offers it might just be possible. Because this was our first ski holiday we didn't have high expectations of the place or anything to compare it too (like the Alps) but we honestly had a wonderful time, maybe our down to earth and easy going attitude helped and the fact that we are still beginner/intermediate so there was enough runs to keep us occupied. I can well imagine fairly experienced skiers getting very bored with the place and i guess it just doesn't compare to more upmarket ski resorts. It strange how the skiing forums seem to really slate the place and yet boarding forums really like place Puzzled
Anyway, the price of food and beer was pretty comparable to here in the UK, it was bit more expensive on the slopes but nowehere near as expensive as places in the Euro, a friend has just returned from Courmayeur and he said it was pretty costly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fee750, Anywhere with snow and mountains is good. It's just that some places are more good than others. No idea why boarders would prefer Bansko to skiers? Maybe the boarding forums attract a lower age group with less money to spend?
snow conditions
Fee750, as UKTrail says, skiing is great period. However, when you take a trip you somewhere like Courmayeur you wont be too keen on returning to Bansko.
snow report
Mollerski, I can well imagine, i'm planning on going somewhere like Courmayeur next year and i don't suppose i'll be in a hurry to get back to Bankso after that........unless of course my bank account tells me otherwise.
latest report
Mollerski,

i always felt courmayeur was pretty limited in terms of the ski area, I think they are kind of similar 1 mountain ski areas (shock horror!), although courmayeur town and accomodation def better! I think boarders generally find a run they like and stick to it......
latest report
Hi there, we were in Bansko last March, 2 adults and a (then) 3 yr old, Stayed at the Hotel Perun, we had a great time, was enough skiing for us as we weren't able to do as much with having our daughter with us. We priced it up this year and could have gone all of us in the Perun for 800 ish, (not inc lift pass etc). Prices were cheap then, if they have stayed the same in resort then a beer will still be cheaper than the UK even with poor exchange rate. Would have booked again but we plan to get our 4yr old daughter lessons and Bansko ski school doesn't take little ones until they're 5 yrs old. Would say that we got a great standard of accomodation for the price, we would have had to pay A LOT more for equivalent anywhere else.
snow report
There's one mountain and theres 3 runs as you pretty much have in Bansko excluding a bit of off piste. It's not just about the skiing, for me, the whole Bansko package is nasty. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
I'm going to bansko next saturday. I've ski'd in Banff, Lake Louise, BC and most recently Risoul in France. We are going as a group of 6 friends, 5 intermediates and 1 begginer... on a budget of £600 each all in. For us this was the only place in our price range.. I was a bit concerned that Myself and my brother would get bored quickly.. but I've since looked up some video's on youtube about the resort.... some of them look brilliant... and got me all excited about going again...woo hoo!
I do know the place is still being rebuilt (if theres snow covering everything we hope not to notice too much lol) and once it is it will be much more expensive to go there.. so now is the time from what I've heard.
I will report back and let you know after my trip there Smile
All the hotels are rated very highly and from pictures look brilliant for the money... food is apparently great (as long as you love meat) and the apres ski is rated pretty good too.
Idealy I would have liked to go back to the Rockies... I have seen deals with free lift passes to Lake Louise for around £400-£600 depending on where you stay... but thats just flights, transfers and lift passes.. you'd still need your food and beer money and of course ski's/boots. If you can fork out a little bit extra... I would reccomend that! We didnt have that bit extra.. so Bansko it is this year. It really is down to what you can afford... and after spending £80 for one day which was actually 3 hours skiing on a dodgy indoor slope at Escape in Castleford, makes you realise how much cheaper it can be on the real slopes Smile
snow report
Bansko or Banff/LL? Tough choice that one......... I would have done without the food and beer myself Wink
ski holidays
I've been to Jasna in Slovakia and would recommend it, I've posted a review on here in the trip reports section. if you book the liftpass in advance through the website it is only abou £70 for any 10 days out of the season so ideal for a 2 week holiday.
latest report
[quote="Bekz"]........All the hotels are rated very highly and from pictures look brilliant for the money... food is apparently great (as long as you love meat) and the apres ski is rated pretty good too.

If you keep those rose tinted goggles on and perhaps double-up with a pair of beer goggles then add a dollop of blind optimism and I'm sure that you'll have a great time. wink
snow report
I'm a very optermistic person... make the best out of what I have lol NehNeh

A friend of mine recomended Romania.... he had never ski'd before and said it was amazing... but looking at his pics.. he spent the entire week on the same green run which looked pretty flat! So knew that was absolutly a no go for my group! Did only cost him £214 per person so gotta be expected Wink

Hoping to take a Ski Instructor Course in Banff in November so fingers crossed I'll make up for my Bansko trip then...lol!
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:,
Quote:

Maybe the boarding forums attract a lower age group with less money to spend?

Did you pick up this idea from the Daily Mail??.. Puzzled
snow report
Bekz wrote:
I'm a very optimistic person... make the best out of what I have lol NehNeh

I'm sure you'll have a great time Bekz. Coming on snowHeads and trying to get positive response about Bansko can be a little soul destroying.................

If you limited by budget, it's decent choice, and not half as bad as some make out. If you go out not expecting too much you're unlikely to come back disappointed.

Terrain/area mainly for beginners/improvers, but there are areas where you can explore. First rate lift system (but do your homework about the morning gondola queue ie get there for when it opens or after 10.30am).

As regards apres, reasonable choice, but try "Amigo's", the "conservatory" bit out the back, but get there for about 10pm as it gets busy and you'll struggle for a seat. Gets busy shortly after, and you should have a good time. A lot rated the "Lion Bar" but personally I hated the "Brit Pub" image.

Beer around £1.50-£2.00 a pint most places (cheaper in the Mehanas), food reasonable, but if you go to buy anything, anywhere, ask the price first if it's not marked......................

And if you hire any equipment locally, don't let it out of your sight, especially if you stop off at the "Happy End" bar at the base of the gondola. If it's your own kit, and decent, likewise.

Drawbacks? Gondola queues, gets busy/kamikazes, limited terrain.

Positives? Cheap, decent apres, lift system.

How about a review on return?

John.
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
I've been to Jasna in Slovakia and would recommend it, I've posted a review on here in the trip reports section. if you book the liftpass in advance through the website it is only abou £70 for any 10 days out of the season so ideal for a 2 week holiday.

Looks an interesting choice! Do any budget airlines go there or close to?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stuski wrote:
lynseyf wrote:

Squeazy fly into Sofia, the 2-3hr transfer is fairly torturous. Sorry to be so negative about the place, but after several visits, I have no love for Bansko.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 13-02-09 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Stuski wrote:
lynseyf wrote:

Squeazy fly into Sofia, the 2-3hr transfer is fairly torturous. Sorry to be so negative about the place, but after several visits, I have no love for the place.

Sofia is surely for Bansko. For Jasna, Air Europe from Luton to Poprad (30 minutes transfer) or Ryaniar to Bratislava (2hrs 30 mins drive).

(edit) that should be sky europe who are doing a two for one offer now
http://www.skyeurope.com/en/special-offers.aspx?ext=10070
http://www.skyeurope.com/en/special-offers/ski-slovakia.aspx
ski holidays
I went to Borovets last feb and was a very cheap hols. bottles of stella for 60p! and a pizza was about a fiver maybe less. the skiing is limited but when the booze is so cheap the next morning your not usually feeling up to a long, hard day of skiing NehNeh.
Also Kranskja Gora, Slovenia. Eating and drinking out was cheap and u got stack loads of food for your money! the skiing there was not bad but its not that reliable for snow which is the only problem.
snow report
flangesax wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:,
Quote:

Maybe the boarding forums attract a lower age group with less money to spend?

Did you pick up this idea from the Daily Mail??.. Puzzled

No I got the idea from a very strong hunch that boarders are much less common than skiers in my age group (40). Therefore the average age of boarders will be lower. Otherwise I have no clue why boarders would rave about Bansko.
ski holidays
i was in bansko 1st week on january this year
we paid £340 half board including list pass

the gondola queue in the morning can be at least 30minutes,unless you get to the queue at 8.15(opens at 8.30)
i heard new years day was 2-3hr queue time!!
easy runs and nothing at all hard but considering the lift pass was only £90 you cant complain
was paying £2.50 in the hotel for 1 pint of stella
dpepending on what way the wind blows you can get this horrible type smog in the town
friendly locals,i wasnt expecting that
beer in the town was cheap too
i heard that was a lap dancing club too for £5 entry(some british guy told me on the lift!)
i was told to make sure you lock your own gear up in case they grow legs but i never leave my stuff lying around anyway

would i go back?
yes
i had a pretty good time out there
for what we paid for the holiday i cant complain at all

i would like to try borovets one year too before the prices start rising
latest report
Just got back from a week with Club Med in Arcs 2000 - the cost was over your ideal budget at £700 however included in this was everything that you could ask for really ...

Flights and transfers
Ski Insurance
Paradiski pass for the week
All inclusive food drinks snacks - you never had to go more than 2 hours without food and it was very good quality
All day lessons with ESF if you wanted them

We ony spent an extra 50 euros all week - so at least you know once its paid you haven;t got to worry about anything else.

First time ever done all inclusive in a ski resort and with the euro as it is at the moment it turned out best value for money ever !!! Shock

We booked really early in the summer and took advantage of the french and their good deals ... he he

The hotel itself was a 70s nightmare from the outside - the rooms basic but very clean bright and comfortable. Staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble - not found that in very many french hotels !!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy