Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How wide should your stance be?

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, gosh. New one on me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I must say, that I find this ski-school v non ski school dilemma quite fascinating

The dilema isnt ski school/non ski school, but rather what learner type you are and how best you take onboard new information...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
can be why some women have a tendency to A-frame.... you have got a fat bum, luv..!!!!!

Maybe, but a gentleman wouldn't point it out Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, no, he'd just grasp the opportunity with both hands Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
PS i am a big big fan of a very tight booster strap and softish upper buckle.

If that just what you prefer, or something you'd advocate?

I thought the top buckle was the most important of the four.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, I thought the one below was the big one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, A tighter booster strap gives you a more progressive control over ankle flex and forward lean IMO. if your top buckle is too tight you lose a lot of range of movement and the flex is more on/off for lack of a better term.

Frosty the Snowman, agreed....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
Yes, but current dogma is that wider is better and most people dont appreciate that hip width is probably actually much narrower than they think.

Given, say, a hip width of 15", do most people interpret a hip width stance as 15" of empty space between the feet or 15" from the outside of one foot to the outside of the other? I assume it's the latter, but I could see people ending up in a wide stance because they take it to mean the former.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulcl, good point. I was wondering about that too. I'd actually interpreted it to mean centre line of each boot.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster, paulcl, i dont want to get too techy here but it isnt just a simple answer of hip width equating to a natural stance width, you need to be concerned with your overall physiology, boot set up etc... the click click test will get you pretty darn close to seeing and feeling what is right for you with the boot set up you have. The best analogy for hip width is if someone held you up under the arms and your leges dangled free under your hips, measure that how you wish, the absolute number means nothing it is more about feeling what is right for you..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is a little symptomatic of our modern day tendency to seek assurance by 'experts' that what we are doing is 'correct'. Seems to be happening more and more. Will any of us even be capable of tying our own shoelaces in 10 years time?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
The best analogy for hip width is if someone held you up under the arms and your leges dangled free under your hips, measure that how you wish, the absolute number means nothing it is more about feeling what is right for you..

Agreed, but a few people have quoted their stance width, which when you think about it doesn't mean anything unless you know where they measured it from. I just wondered if there was an accepted convention? I'm guessing there isn't.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It occurs to me that at this stage of the thread your stance needs to be at least as wide as your head...otherwise it's going to get stuck on the way up...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think there's actually quite a wide range of stance widths at which any individual would feel comfortable skiing and at which they would not be compromised doing everyday skiing. It's a good drill to ski various turns with feet close together and then do the same with as wide a stance as you can go and still ski tidily.

Instructor level carving is not the same as racer level carving. I can leave 2 clean tracks with my feet close together at moderate speeds but the faster I go the wider I feel I need to be. A wide stance is necessary for stability in racing=fast carving. If that's not what you're doing then there's no great advantage to it. Obviously there's a limit to how wide I can go and still feel both comfortable and effective and this (for me) isn't a conscious limit. And of course the limit will be part physical and part what I'm used to.*

It's easier to incline with feet closer together because, well I'm not sure exactly, but I think it has something to do with CoM/BoS and tendency to fall onto the inside ski at small angles and low speeds. At bigger angles and higher speeds real racers have no problem whatsoever inclining massively with feet wide apart. It's easier to angulate with feet wider apart because you can't adduct your thighs as far as you can abduct them!

Bottom line: take different stances out for a test ski and use whatever works.

JT, the technical stuff doesn't matter to you and you don't like to talk about it and you're not so interested in terms because you're not that sort of learner.

under a new name, Laughing

*I'm no racer.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Mosha Marc, A tighter booster strap gives you a more progressive control over ankle flex and forward lean IMO. if your top buckle is too tight you lose a lot of range of movement and the flex is more on/off for lack of a better term.

Frosty the Snowman, agreed....

skimottaret I'm gonna give your suggestion a whirl. I feel that I want to tighten the top of my boot, but I'm aware that the top buckle is already tight, so fearful of cutting off circulation if I hang off the booster strap and really tighten things up. Is this the same kinda principle of the after market power straps that you can buy, but I see that these are invariably elasticated so these provide added support plus flex/rebound
snow conditions
slikedges, True...sort of.. Laughing but I'll wade through a video for pointers if I think I can nick an idea or two...
There may be a few things I get obsessive about, but skiing terminology isn't one of them

Sometimes, I might think that some of the terms are a re-invention of the wheel or that the teaching industry needs to be seen to be moving on and people should keep taking lesons to keep up.....

Whether you really learn something new or just someome's spin on an old rule... dressed up nicely... is, well, open to conjecture. and dependant on the instructor. I am sure both paths are valid to some degree, but it wouldn't help repeat business or video sales if the instructor turned round and said..."I'm done, you've cracked it as far as you are going to".

I accept that refreshers are valid but..and this question comes round again AFAIAC.... how do you evaluate how best to spend your skiing time....?? given that most of us don't get enough of it..skiing time, that is. Laughing
snow conditions
JT,
Quote:
Sometimes, I might think that some of the terms are a re-invention of the wheel...

You're not wrong there. Laughing I've watched/read stuff on Austrian/Canadian/US race thinking and there's definitely lot of that about.

I think that as others have said before you're quite lucky and have natural ability, so I can understand why you don't consider it time well spent to be having lessons, but not everyone is in your boots!

Quote:
...I'll wade through a video for pointers if I think I can nick an idea or two...

We still talking about skiing here Puzzled wink
snow report
Sleipnir, sorry, this is really drifting off thread...IMO, and being one who buys boot way too stiff for every day skiing...when I want a softer daay I go with a lighter top buckle and the power strap/thing. When I really want to rip the piste a new bottom, I do all full up. Works for me.

My issue would be not being able to go to 150% stiffness when I wanted to. Although there are all these internet emails offering extra stiffness so I'll probably be OK.
latest report
After several years of being told to get my feet further apart, or my pretty wide stance being left alone, a coach last year took me back to basics and we worked very hard to narrow the stance. Yes, hip-width is a lot narrower than you think it is. The result is a much firmer turn and much better use of the inside ski - and a much reduced A-frame. The problem with a too wide stance is that it is virtually impossible to keep both skis at the same angle; if the legs are diverging you are almost guaranteed to have a flatter inside ski than outside - unless you are naturally quite bow-legged (BTW it's worth looking at the natural gait of many top instructors - those who advocate a very wide stance do walk very bow-legged). So if they are too far apart you do end up with the inside ski just skidding around and contributing very little to the turn - something you see a huge amount when looking at mid- or low-intermediate skiers. The downside of course is that you have a narrower base of support, so lateral balance is more critical. I also find that sensitivity to inside/outside leg length is actually more critical - as the legs are closer together in length, there is a greater tendency to revert to (off-piste stylee) too-equal flexion and so ending up too much on the edge of the inside ski. Obviously as things get faster, and edge angles get higher, the lateral stability becomes more of an issue and a wider stance is required again (watch the WC SL vs GS stances).

skimottaret, I actually did that "click-click" test last summer, but for the inverse problem. I was having trouble skiing with a hip width stance, and on checking with this I found that my skiboots were badly canted. They were actually set up for flat when my legs were a bit wider than shoulder width. After adjusting the canting, all of a sudden everything clicked.

JT, you ski extremely well for someone who is almost entirely self-taught, but I do think you would benefit significantly from a couple of half day intensive lessons to tidy things up a bit. Of course I'm taking a lot of coaching, but I know I was skiing much better last year than previous, and now I'm skiing a hell of a lot better this year than I was last - and that's largely due to just two or three sessions which addressed a few fundamental technical points that I was getting a bit wrong (like the stance width issue), and then some serious practice working on correcting those.
snow report
slikedges, Laughing Laughing

Not so much arguing against lessons and I don't consider myself particularly skilled.... I think I am ok on a good day..it is just that I believe there is a trade-off between having lessons and free-skiing. I can only say that I wouldn't have the confidence to ski what I think I can ski...if I hadn't spent so much time way out of my skill-set zone skiing that sort of stuff. It gives you a confidence...
If I had taken lessons, I would be technically better (surely ) but at the expense of what I enjoy doing most...
I just wouldn't have had that exposure.

Often enough I have skied with waaaay better skiers technically, but some can freeze when confronted by something they haven't done so much before.
I think it is confidence and b***s***.... Laughing
ski holidays
GrahamN, Good point.. I think I could afford or should make time for those tidy-up sessions... and half days here and there wouldn't kill me ski-time wise.
There are defo some things I would like to advance,
I will look into that. I am resigned to skiing on 92mm planks tho...Laughing :lol; Laughing and I do accept that if you are going to blast round on hardpack all day, then you might as well do it on a Laser or somesuch.. wink
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

Q-angle

Puzzled Is this one for the glossary?

Q-ANGLE - aka Quadracepts Angle, the angle that the femur (thigh) makes with the knee joint. Overly large Q-Angles can cause problems for skiers manifesting in A-Framing or knock knees and these weak body positions can be injury prone. Problems with excessive Q-Angles can be minimised if the ski boots are fitted and properly aligned.

Women typically have larger Q-Angles than men due to wider hips.

Also (or so the physio who tested mine told me).... the way pelvis/femur connect at hip socket will affect it.... we all have slightly different conformations... that is why my instructor watched me squat/tilt/etc in bare feet and ski boots but no skis before undertaking to teach me long term.... No point having a certain "picture" in your head when the students body is simply not built to ever look like the picture... far better to understand the body and work with it... but requires a lot more understanding (and so subject application and intelligence) than just deciding you like "that look" and not "this one"
snow report
The ski racers on 'Ski Sunday' have a wide stance. Is this typical of slalom?
ski holidays
Quote:

my instructor watched me squat/tilt/etc in bare feet
This reminds me of seeing a reproduction of The Naked Maya captioned with the words, 'You're very thorough for a dentist!'
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy