Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How wide should your stance be?

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, Indeed! I have earned a fair amount of praise for this skill. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, Indeed! I have earned a fair amount of praise for this skill. wink

Rather strangely of the three (skiding, rotating, edging) it's my weakest area, despite careering around the place with my ankles bolted together for way too much of my skiing career.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"You can't carve if your legs are 4" apart"
Yes you can if the feet are vertically 12 inches apart.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmjimm, meany Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, don't you mean (pushing/pressure, rotating/skidding, edging) because skiddy is turn/twist your feet skiing? Puzzled

Hurtle, I use the past tense because of course no one skis like that anymore wink wink no, seriously I suppose it's because it's a question of what people used to do more so than they do now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
but doing this test.......it is 37 years I'm wrong?!?!? I have a strange body.....pleas tell me can be wrong the test.......I have t change also few several things in my teaching.....are you sure???? cause iff I understand well the test make a sense for me.....but not for my body???!!!!I'm maibe to tall and slimm??? cause apear like I have to ski like 25 years ago.......very narrow feet.....???

I'm not jocking....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Remember "Hip Width" actually refers to hip bones not butt!!! Ask physio to point out reference points... you will find that is far narrower than many folks think it is
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you will find that is far narrower than many folks think it is

snap....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5,

"how did people do skiddy turns in the lumpy stuff?" - we carved, we(I) didn't/don't do "skiddy" turns (in the main).

"Didn't the skis catch in that?" - why would they...1. we(I) were/are carving 2. we did/(I) have skill

"Old" style, "straight" skis weren't "straight". They had less, not no, sidecut. They'd carve perfectly well. If you knew how to make them do so. You know that's what (alpine) skis want to do?

Since I started skiing in 1970(1) - you tip 'em on an edge, apply weight and ...wooo... you carve. Easy as that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

"Old" style, "straight" skis weren't "straight". They had less, not no, sidecut. They'd carve perfectly well. If you knew how to make them do so. You know that's what (alpine) skis want to do?

Yes, I do know that "straight" skis had some side cut, not none at all. Obviously. And also that alpine skis are designed to make curves yes. I was using the term "straight skis" to mean they were a lot straighter than they are now, and when the term "straight skis" is used, most people know what that is referring to. Same as when people call them "old skinny skis" it's just a term people use not to be taken literally.

Glad you hear that you had the necessary skills that you needed/need Very Happy

Quote:

"Didn't the skis catch in that?" - why would they...1. we(I) were/are carving 2. we did/(I) have skill

If carving through, then no, why would they, but I can imagine that in thick heavy lumpy snow and whilst "skidding" the skis round as others have said that they used to do in days gone by, then that might be difficult. When I saw this chap trying to skid the skis round then he was having trouble in the thick lumpy snow. On a smooth piste it worked though for him. If you were carving through the snow as you said you were/are then no, it wouldn't pose you with difficulties same as when people carve/push through lumpy thick snow now on modern skis.

The reason I was asking these questions out of curiosity is that in the recent example I saw of the feet being right close together, every turn was skiddy and I didn't see the chap carve once. Obviously that is only one example of someone who skis in "old skool" style as labelled in rob@rar's example photo of himself and other people like yourself perhaps did things differently to him.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, sowwy, waz bean cheeky. But "most" people probably aren't aware of that now. Honest. Or (most likely) they've forgotten.

Re your skier. I bet he was. He would in any circumstance, I'd wager.

For me, I would expect that my feet are normally closer together than most instructors would "default" teach but they're quite dynamic in separation. Dynamic being the important thing. I wouldn't awant them to be ever much more than shoulder apart (straight line downhill on very straight downhhill skis perhaps?), typically hip width in a traverse and anything between hip and locked together at the apex of the turn (locked together in bumps of course...)

Oh, and the carving through hasn't changed either - I think the current term is hip drive - get the skis set up early and let your weight and gravity bring you round.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, I think hip drive is a bit more active than that... WS describes it as a figure of 8 motion through one turn to another and I can relate to that...as that is what it feels like to me...

It certainly drives the turns, IME.. but I found this naturally so I would think others would too...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, you're probably right. I'm having trouble describing it in my own head without having it there to remind me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, it does indeed engage the skis earlier IME, which brings on a whole range of usefulness, especially in deeper heavier snow
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT wrote:
It certainly drives the turns, IME.. but I found this naturally so I would think others would too...

From other stuff you've written, I think you may be a more intuitive skier than most.
snow report
laundryman, maybe, just as well......as all the technical talk or defintions confuses the hell out of me... Laughing

I just watch people.... funny that isn't working with my golf swing...does this mean that my golf buddies are cr@p.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

FWIW.. I was watching a WS DVD and he alluded to it when carving...and I knew exactly what he meant as I had felt this action before and liked it..
After that endorsement from the DVD..I went looking for it more and then applied to it to deeper snow..and the benefit there was that it is a powerful early initialisation of the turn when the snow gets heavier than you would like.
I liked that as I figured the core and thighs were powerful moving muscles...or as powerful as we have got.

I don't have time for lessons but I try not to be oblivious and there are many good skiers out there that you can nick a trick off of, IMV

Video is good feedback but I tend to be cam-monkey too often
latest report
JT, yes, that notion makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to try to stay off groomers as much as possible next month, and see if I can put this thought into action consistently.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-02-09 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
laundryman,

The sensation to me is like a whoosh into the turn from the 'drive' so when the turns are linked you have this figure of 8 pelvic motion bewteen one turn and another...
I nailed it on-piste first and then applied it OP...it is subtle tho' and it isn't highly visiable, to my mind....upper body stays quiet

Maybe it needs a separate thread so as not to hijack this

good luck with it....
ski holidays
JT, are you talking "time warp" there?
ski holidays
eng_ch, don't know..what is 'time warp'..?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
comprex, you should be able to feel one boot is flat and the other one is on an edge if too wide or too narrow when rocking side to side, being only on big toe one boot and little toe on other, keeping the knees the same distance apart....

Ah, but part of being adaptable in your stance width is to be able to adjust the timing and force of your edging actuation so that the edges -are- activated at the same time to (mostly) the same angles.

I think y'all's just stiff. ;-)
snow report
JT, as in Rocky Horror, pelvic thrust and all that.... is that the sort of movement you're talking about with "hip drive", pushing the pelvis forward to help initiate a turn?
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
JT wrote:

From other stuff you've written, I think you may be a more intuitive skier than most.

Flawed sample methinks: lots of intuitive skiers on here, JT gets slapped down less than others, is all.
snow report
comprex, ISTM that JT is really pretty accomplished and I think he's said that he's had hardly any lessons. Of course, my view is based on how people describe their own skiing and where they've been so JT could be bigging himself up (but he doesn't come across that way to me) or there may be a lot of false modesty about. I'd back this particular hunch.
snow conditions
laundryman, me too.
ski holidays
comprex, the static "test" is just meant to highlight and illustrate what a true hip width position is. Not saying it wont or shouldnt change while out on the hill.

I personally got told over and over again that i should widen my stance as i "am a big guy and it will be more stable" and the result of that was a weakening of my stance, falling onto the inside edge, and crouching too lo, and outside ski breaking away.

now that i have slightly narrowed my stance to be more in line with a hip width as my starting point my skiing has improved quite a bit and is much more powerful.
snow conditions
This is a great thread, so I'll try not to f*** it up Smile

I spent quite a bit of time working out how wide my stance ought to be, with a general thought that wider must be better (except in bumps and powder). But then I noticed a lot of instructors and other pro's skiing with a fairly narrow stance too, which dented my "wider is better" presumption somewhat. After experimenting a lot with a wider stance in the WS stylee, I found it didn't really work that well for me. I couldn't understand why, but maybe it's just because I've got narrow hips? Or maybe I'm just crap! But anyway I've gone back to a narrower stance and feel much better for it. I'm not talking boots glued together, but certainly much narrower than you see in WS vids. I'm starting to think it doesn't really matter too much as long as it feels natural and this thread seems to support that view. I feel a bit better now Smile
snow report
Isn't the most important point that your stance width should be appropriate for what you are doing at that moment in time? It should provide the correct amount of stability and agility for whatever turns you are doing, in/on whatever snow you are skiing. If you have a fixed width stance you're either very talented or you fall over a lot! For me about hip width is probably a good starting point, but it varies a good bit from that width.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, gotcha.... I was hoping a step wasn't involved and you have the idea...
The word 'drive' is better that 'sling' but the latter is more like the sensation.

comprex, I don't tend to participate much in technical stuff as it doesn't mostly matter that much to me...
I think that is why I don't get pulled up so much. I think it is better that you are happy with what you can do rather than talk about it too much...
That isn't to say that I don't care...just that I am not so interested in terms or what it is called..I am more intested in the motion which is why I tend to watch and copy if I can. Also, I might think that such and such a learning curve isn't relevant to me...so I can pick and choose what I want to do. I know where my weakness's are and also my strenghts. I am paying a bit more attention to thngs at this time as my biggest weakness atm is fitness..the skiing is not so much a problem, but technique does suffer when I am tired.

laundryman, never ever been anywhere near ski school which cost me about 5 years or so... and been catch-up time ever since..Laughing..but..and I have said this before... experience is a good teacher...and I have been in some big scrapes and you tend to remember those escapdes.
I think I am ok... could be better, could be worse but 45 degrees in marginal snow wouldn't worry me. I know where I can cope and all those escaped have taught me that.

It is a question of where you put your time in, IMV...
ski holidays
As far as the OP is concerned..it varies for me.....and I don't much think too much abouit it...
Typically hip-width which equates around 6 inches at the boots..
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Isn't the most important point that your stance width should be appropriate for what you are doing at that moment in time? It should provide the correct amount of stability and agility for whatever turns you are doing, in/on whatever snow you are skiing. If you have a fixed width stance you're either very talented or you fall over a lot! For me about hip width is probably a good starting point, but it varies a good bit from that width.

Yes, but current dogma is that wider is better and most people dont appreciate that hip width is probably actually much narrower than they think.

Fixed anything is not good, but i would say that for me an overly wide stance is more detrimental than a too narrow stance.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

I don't have a fixed stance, I was only talking about typical on piste carving medium/long radius turns. I always use a narrow stance for bumps and powder. Also adjust for snow conditions etc.
latest report
skimottaret, uktrailmonster, rob@rar, the element of the discussion I was particularly fascinated by is the click-click test. It is rather a test of proper boot cuff tilt and how tightly one does up the top buckle. 14 inches in my +3 boots buckled up *tight*, the above 40 in was in a different floppy boot with gobs of ankle room and a Booster strap instead of a top buckle.

JT, no criticism on any point. Just a notion that -other- intuitive skiers get slapped down for not using the phraseology and context of one of the accepted learning curves.
snow conditions
comprex,

I don't know about that... what makes them intuitive....non-schooled and therefore no choice but to improvise or oblivious to what you are trying to do...?
Obviously, not having a clue is not helpful... but then you'd do something about that, if it bothered you, I think

I must say, that I find this ski-school v non ski school dilemma quite fascinating...

Now, I don't expect many instructors to endorse it for obvious reasons, but do skiers of both pursuasions admit or accept what they may have missed out by going down one path or another. Personally, I accept that I would have technical 'issues' on the one hand but might have made gains on the other...

Sorry for the 2nd hijack..Laughing

I think a good starter for width is the natural hang of your legs... Now, if you have a fat ar$e or silly gait, then that will have an effect and probably dominate things and that can be why some women have a tendency to A-frame.... you have got a fat bum, luv..!!!!!
Also, I recall some people advocating a slightly bow-legged stance to engage the outside edges more effectively...but why would you want to adopt that gait..???
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Now, if you have a fat ar$e or silly gait, then that will have an effect and probably dominate things and that can be why some women have a tendency to A-frame.... you have got a fat bum, luv..!!!!!

Fat back bottom does not change the size of the hip bones.... they are biological markers and not weight dependant
snow report
Oh and some women tend to have A-frames as they have a large Q-angle.... (then again so do SOME men).... Again Q-angle is a biological fact... how one deals with it is another matter....

as long as the ski/snow interface interactions are good why would you get hung up in "How it looks" unless that is the only thing you understand.... and if a person initiates all turns with a heel push then does it matter if they have no A-frame? They are blessed with good biology and suffer from poor technical skills... one is a factor they have control over the other is not...
snow report
Quote:

Q-angle

Puzzled Is this one for the glossary?
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Also, I recall some people advocating a slightly bow-legged stance to engage the outside edges more effectively...but why would you want to adopt that gait..???

I think it's more a training drill to avoid A-frame.
ski holidays
comprex, You are indeed correct, the test assumes that cuff is in alignment with the lower leg and that the boot is done up tightly. It is just a quick and dirty practical example i was shown by a body mechanics expert and it emphasised for me that hip width can be pretty narrow at the feet.

Perhaps i should have added that you should check your alignment first. but that is a bit chicken and egg.

PS i am a big big fan of a very tight booster strap and softish upper buckle.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

Q-angle

Puzzled Is this one for the glossary?

Q-ANGLE - aka Quadracepts Angle, the angle that the femur (thigh) makes with the knee joint. Overly large Q-Angles can cause problems for skiers manifesting in A-Framing or knock knees and these weak body positions can be injury prone. Problems with excessive Q-Angles can be minimised if the ski boots are fitted and properly aligned.

Women typically have larger Q-Angles than men due to wider hips.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy