Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
How many of ye have done this, ski in you boots. Why bother with expensive, heavy skis when you can do this!

http://youtube.com/v/gVYWy9Ggd7o
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need the right type of snow to do that wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wasn't there a boot manufacturer years back that made one especially for doing this?
I think it was Dalbello(?)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davef, Really, is there also a boot wax to make you go faster?

Yoda, I have all mountain boots so handle most conditions!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've got falcons or something equally un-grippy you'll find you can hit about 20mph on the flat on a typical mountain restaraunt floor, so it's a useful skill set to perfect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm talking perhaps 20 yrs ago, saw them in a magazine. I think the short life span of them was a fair indication of how shoite a concept it was!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A group of us were skiing over at the Schilthorn over christmas, 2 of us decided to steal my mate's skis, and left them halfway down the piste, thinking he'd have a bit of a trek to go get them. Annoyingly, he boot-skied right down to them without any problems. What a bar-steward.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gregor the viking, well someone was! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, he's just so annoyingly talented, and such a nice guy with it, we thought we'd teach him a lesson, turns out joke was on us! I hasten to add I wasn't actually involved with said ski-theft, just watched on amused Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregor the viking, ah, one of those! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's called glissading commonly done by mountaineers to get down snow slopes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never really tried - must pluck up the courage one day but too afraid of falling flat on my face - however most experienced instructors seem to be very good at it. Indeed maybe it is this skill that most sensitively and specifically discriminates between pro instructors and dabblers. I can feel a new BASI ISTD module coming on...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used to glissade on the slopes of Glyder Fawr... it was good ice axe braking practice to avoid the rocks at the bottom... until my mate somersaulted head over heels when his axe bit in a little harshly Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davef wrote:
Wasn't there a boot manufacturer years back that made one especially for doing this?
I think it was Dalbello(?)

I think you're right, I remember seeing a video of them at a Ski Show. I think they were called Dalbello Snowrunners. A google search shows this US Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) bankruptcy filing for an american company which gives some of the history about the licensing of the concept to Dalbello - obviously not a very successful product! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were trying this coming down the snowfields in the Brenta Dolomites in summer, even being pretty rubbish at it, it was still more fun than walking. Did discover that the asymmetric sidecut on mountaineering boots made carved turns tricky rolling eyes
snow report
yeah i tried this recently. seems to be easier on hard packed as opposed to powder. i was amused that u can actually parallel turn, snowplough etc, but it does rip up the snow a fair bit. handy for a short steep slope!
ski holidays
I did it by accident last week, leaving my skis halfway up the slope behind me... Embarassed
ski holidays
I've always found that Kiwi or Cherry make the best boot wax - use hot or cold and the "Parade Glosss2 gives a lovely finish Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy