Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel Super Pass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For an extra 20euros or so for the week, it is possible to upgrade your lift pass to a Super Lift Pass taking in, amongst others, Salbaach, Zell, Kaprun and the Skiwelt.

http://www.skimap.kitzalps.com/default.asp?Lang=en

My question is:

Could a fairly high intermediate skier get from Mittersill to the Skiwelt right the way round to Going?

Could this be the new Paradiski Challenge? (I know it wont be but may mean I could have a go at it!)

Off to Kitz in 4 days and not sure how well linked it is although lifts are there.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Kitz last season and had an Alpenpass (I think that's one down from a Super Pass). Without a car it might be tricky to get to some of the other resorts although Kitzbühel does have two train stations if it's possible to get to any of the other resorts by train...

The lift-linked area of Kitz is quite big and I'd have thought plenty for a week's trip. However I did make use of my Alpenpass with a day in Westendorf which is linked by bus from Aschau. From there you could get to Brixen. It's quite a hefty journey though and I think it would be tricky to get to Ellmau and back to Kitz in a day without using a car...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dougie, is your accommodation in Mittersill?

I was in Mittersill over New Year for a week and there was plenty for me in the Kitzbuhel area. However, in answer to your question. I doubt it! I would say that if you really go for it and have no lift queues it will take about 2 hours from the panorama gondola in Mittersill to the bus stop that takes you over to Westendorf. From there you would have to wait for the bus, travel in the bus (5 mins i believe) before you even get to the Ki West gondola that links you over into Westendorf. You would probably make it over to Going, but getting home would be pretty much impossible imo.

A much more sensible option imo would be to take one or two days out at a different resort and use the skibuses. In Mittersill there were buses to Zell am See to ski the Schmittenhohe or the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. Furthermore there were buses to the Wildkogel ski area and to the Zillertal Arena via Koenigsleiten.

If you are staying in Kitzbuhel I am sure there will be buses to the Skiwelt.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dougie, have a look at the last few posts on this thread, which gives you info about the link to Ki-West from Kitz -

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1158949&highlight=#1158949

We found it pretty easy to get from Kitz to the section above Westendorf. The rest doesn't look too bad on the piste map, but we didn't go that far.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In this post, espri went from Going to the far side of the Westendorf slopes http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42183&start=320#1146701 and back in a day. Late start though!

From Kitzbuhel we got to Zinsberg above Scheffau by 11ish - about the earliest you could get there. But we did 'cheat' and take the ski bus to Ki-West. If you were to ski from Mittersill I reckon you'd be really pushing it to get to Going - and the piste map is rubbish! It would help if you knew the slopes in Westendorf/SkiWelt as we spent ages the first time taking the wrong piste or studying the piste map.

You could always ski there and get the bus back to Kitzbuhel from Brixen - that must be do-able.

You should definitely get the extended pass - well worth it for an extra 17 Euros.

On a previous visit we got the train to Zell am See from Kitz and then the ski bus up to the Kitsteinhorn glacier - took an hour and 20 mins in total and very do-able if you wished to.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You probably could get from Mittersill to Going - though I doubt you would get back (by ski) the same day Laughing. I like doing the Kitzbühel Ski Safari every now and again and have managed (without a too early start, for I have to drive over from home) to ski Ki-West/Westendorf and Pengelstein/Mittersill and back in a day. However, I did have my car there so I wasn't dependent on any bus connections. For that I awarded myself the Silver Elephant Smile (an elephant is the symbol of the Ski Safari, for those that don't know). At that time I felt that the Gold Elephant would be the same trip plus a run down the Streif (the Kitzbühel race course) but I haven't attempted that.

Now that Brixen/SkiWelt and Westendorf are linked by lifts it has opened up a whole new ball-game. I feel that there won't be any chance of the grand there and back (e.g. Mittersill <-> Going or, at least, somewhere in the SkiWelt) until the missing lift is built to link directly the Ki-West to the Kitzbühel slopes (e.g. replacing and extending Hieslegg lift), so that you don't have to rely on a bus connection. An attempt would be valiant, though! Sort of in the Scott of the Antarctic tradition, and possibly with an expensive taxi ride at the end of the day!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dougie, I know this is not specifically what you asked (which was for skiing to and from) but if you have no car there are buses - but it is also possible to travel by train from Kitz to St Johann, ten minutes away and then from St J to Ellmau by bus or taxi. Not expensive, a bit of a faff but well worth it for the experience. The worst bit is that Kitz and St. J train stations are a bit of a walk from their respective main lifts but again, if you don't fancy a short walk loaded down with kit, easily reached by town bus or taxi in each place. If you had a car, the world is your oyster, all of the Kitz, St Johann, Ski Welt and Fieberbrunn and Steinplatte areas. We've done this a few times, with car and by train/bus and it has been well worth the extra dosh and time. Whatever you do, enjoy!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dougie, if you are in Kitz, make sure to spend some time skiing the Mittersiller side of the 3s. In my opinion the runs are nicer, the views are better and the queues should be less.

The Barenbadkogel lifts can be a bit of a bottle neck between 11 and 1, but outside of these times they are generally pretty empty and have some amazing pistes. The blue and black under the Barenbadkogel 1 lift were my favourite runs in the area when i was there:

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The restaurant at the top of the Barenbadkogel lift is great! Lovely food and great interior, well worth having lunch there.

Markus, even I did the black down there - a lovely run but it's not really a black! I think they tend to leave it unbashed normally so with bumps it can be a bit tricky - it was beautifully smooth when I went down Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy