Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drills for ski instructors?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, as an aspiring CSIA level 2 instructor (level 1 next week, level 2 in March.. hopefully), I have been hunting the web for a resource of drills to use with your class... from absolute beginners to improving intermediates. Any ideas? Any sources? Nervous about level 1, need a few more tricks up my sleeve! Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks snowHeads. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't need to know drills for level 1, you'll learn a bunch though on the course. I assume if you're training for level 2 you'll get put through a bunch to fix your skiing too (assuming you're doing a gap year course type thing?). The teaching aspect for 1 is pretty much given to you on the course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Redkiteflyer, You get given loads of drills on the level 1 course and shed loads in the manual too. Have fun and enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Redkiteflyer, go to www.yourskicoach.com and buy Fastman's DVDs - lots of exercises to do and use on those. It will help your skiing too.

DaveC, No reason why s/he shouldn't want to know more is there? Wanting to know more is surely one sign of a potentially good teacher?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was quite pleased with myself when I took my CSIA L1 a couple of years ago. When we were doing teaching out on the snow we all had our opportunity to have a go ourselves (a few times over the course of the week). So, we pretended to be beginners/early intermediates and then the 'instructor' for that run had to do all the usual things.

I decided upon what most of my group needed most work on and gave them a drill. I'd never been taught using that drill before, it hadn't been mentioned to us during the course and it wasn't in the manual. According to the course conductor it was absolutely hilarious to watch, but did address the issues I had identified. In all honesty, however, I'd never use the drill with a real group of first week skiers as it requires a considerable amount of co-ordination, owing to having many different parts of the body doing many different things (i.e. it was a bit complicated).

So, Redkiteflyer, come up with an original drill, demonstrating that you've thought about how to achieve what you want to achieve and the conductor will be impressed (mine was anyway Toofy Grin ).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS. The CSCF produce a "Drills and Exercises / Basic Guidelines for Coursesetting" manual (not sure if you can buy it separately, or if it is only available by attending a course). It has a simply fantastic array of drills and exercises (and an index of them, listed under headings to describe what competencies they work on). Only about two of the exercises I have found to be of any use with one-weekers, but it does feed the mind and give a few ideas to play around with and develop for a different audience.

skimottaret, has also collated a number of drills in the glossary thread, here. Again, not sure how many would be of use with real beginners, but you might get away with using them on other candidates on your course.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To skisimon, easiski, spyderman, davec... thanks all for the replies.. currently lying on the sofa with my right leg in a brace, hoping its just a stretched ligame4nt and not a torn one Sad Hopefully back at the training real soon wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good luck, it's crazy how many injuries have happened this week - I think we've had 4 instructors break themselves in the last 7 days?

easiski, yeah it's fair enough to want to know more - just seems like it's a difficult thing to learn over the internet compared to in person and not that important to the goal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, then you should get a copy of Fastman's DVDs - they're very clear, and totally different from any of the previous learn to ski vids I've ever seen. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Redkiteflyer, Be confident. The CSIA teaching is the nicest I know. You'll learn the quickest way to parallel turn as simply as possible with fun with excellent instructors. I was last week in Tremblant for a level 4 course and I had a great week. The canadian teaching is easy, the demonstrations are perfect, the tips are practical and specific. You have 4 days course and your exam will be at the end. Relax and just have a lot of fun guy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The CSIA manual has some really good information, as does the BASI manual. CSIA level 1 doesn't require you to know drills etc in advance, as they point out that that's why you're doing the course.

I loved my CSIA level 1. It taught me everything that the ASSI course didn't teach me, and it was only after doing the CSIA course, I felt confident that I'd been given a sound framework to teach/ Enjoy - it's a great course. And remember, they're looking for improvement throughout the course, not just excellence to start with. When I did mine, we had a really irritating guy who thought he knew everything, and he actually failed the course on his attitude, as he seemed to be closed to hearing and learning new things. Be enthusiastic, open and listen carefully to the constant feedback you'll get on the course, and you'll be fine. Good luck!!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy