Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots Causing Cramp/Numb Toes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Bought some ski boots 2 years ago and used them for 2 weeks skiing and a few trips to the snowdome, they are Tecnica Diablo Magma Ultraform.

I'd describe my foot as having an average heel and instep with a wide forefoot and very 'chunky' lower legs from calves down to ankles.

They are the first boots I've ever had an when I tried them on in the shop they felt fine despite the boot fitter saying he was suprised because he thought that they would be too narrow for my foot and told me to go back if I had any problems at all. In hindsight I think he was right although at the time there were no problems at all so I bought them.

When I took them home I wore them around the house quite often, after about an hour my toes started to go numb and got progressively worse the longer I left them on. I thought this was just because they needed to bed in and the liners pack down so I didn't take them back to the shop which I should of done.

When I was on my first holiday they were excellent to ski in, a huge improvement over hire boots although they did hurt my feet I thought this was down to them being a high performance boot and what they lacked in comfort they made up for in performance. By the end of a days skiing most of my toes were numb and feet aching, I knew they weren't right but didn't know what I could do to sort it.

The second holiday I went on was a year later and I'd put some weight on (no more than a stone). This year the pain was unbearable and it made skiing in them a misery.

The pain is like cramp although where cramp is an intense pain, this is more of an ache and it is around my forefoot behind my toes. The side of my foot hurts the most just behind my little toe and causes my toes to go numb starting from my little toe and moving across to my big toe the longer I ski in them.

I'm certain it's because my boots are too narrow that is causing this problem I just wondered if anybody here with boot fitting experience could advise of what it is exactly causing the pain and what can be done to remedy it.

I bought my boots from a small local ski shop although this is no longer in business so I plan to go to Snow and Rock in the Chill Factor complex in Manchester to see what they suggest.

Thanks for reading and any advice contributed!
Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
superchoward, Hi and welcome to snowHeads I've just experienced a similar problem with my boots. Previously I have suffered minor problems with numb toes etc but have been able to release the clips on lifts etc and they would recover. But not this time. Having now had numb toes on one foot for 3 days, I have contacted a certain Bicester based bootfitter in order for him to work his magic. I know I will require either new boots, new liners or new feet - but doing nothing is definately not an option any more. Although someone with some proper knowledge will be along shortly with advice, I would thoroughly recommend getting them looked at pronto. Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schuss in Boots, I'm going to Alpe D'Huez on 7th March and I'm hoping to get them sorted before then. I'm thinking it will be a case of getting the shells altered than the liners or new boots! I just wonder if this will reduce the strength/integrity of the boot as they seem to be quite precisely engineered.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
superchoward, there could be 1million things going on, and without seeing your feet and boots it is impossible to say what needs to be done, by your location go and See malcolm at the alpine centre in Blackpool or Graham at Rivington Aline in Bolton either should be able to can have a look and see what is required, it may be you need a new boot it may be that just stretching the boot is all that is required....bare in mind that a good footbed will stabilize the foot and prevent some of the spreading that happens when you apply pressure

i wouls see either one of these guys before going to a chain store
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go to see Malcolm and see what he says as he is local to me, won't be able to get there until next weekend though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
superchoward, give him a call to make sure he will be in, the UK trade show starts on the sunday so he will probably be at that from then
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Malcolm also works late on Thursdays so that might be an option if you can't do during the day. I went to see him last week as I have similar problems to you, though it is usually my 2nd toe (next to the big one) that goes numb. Malcolm concluded that the boots that Snow and Rock sold me were actually too small. He then got out various 'appliances' and began heating and stretching and trying, until I am now at the stage when I have probably got the best fit I can without scrapping them and buying new.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like superchoward said, it could be many things. Before you read any further, I am NO doctor.

I suffer numb toes after 2-3 days, it lasts the rest of the trip and then clears up 3-7 days after i return. It feels like pins and needles in toes 2 & 3. This has allowed me to pin down exactly where the nerve is trapped and slightly damaged. I used this picture of the nerves in the foot and lower leg to figure out which nerve is trapped and most likely where it is trapped: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray836.png

In my foot, the numbness is on the outside of the big toe and the ends of toes 2 and 3. This means that the most likely cause is that the medial dorsal cutaneous branch of the superficial peroneal nerve is trapped about the anterior annular ligament, i.e. high up the instep and this is where I'll be suggesting the boots should be adjusted and blown out a bit. Look at the picture and you'll see where I mean. Given your description of the location of your pain, you might find this picture useful in locating the exact point of nerve damage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_fibular_nerve.

Of course, this assumes that your issue is trapped or damaged nerve. A trip to the GP would probably help to define the problem and inform your subsequent discussion with your boot fitter.

Whatever it is, I hope you find a resolution and enjoy your trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowheads elaza. Nice first post, with some precise anatomy.

I should warn you of two things:
a) the thread you are replying to is 4 years old, so one hopes the problem is sorted now

b) your faith in your local GP's knowledge of foot anatomy is lovely, but possibly misplaced!

tb
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy