Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First experience of half term - what one piece of advice ?

Poster: A snowHead
This is my first experience of a holiday at half term (other than being a kid myself many moons ago) and the first holiday with 2 kids along. I'm really looking looking forward to the trip. I wonder if i'll feel as positive after the event in 12 days time?

If you've experienced holidaying at this time and had to give just one piece of hard won advice what would you say? Other than don't do it! wink
I can start you off:-

Be up the mountain early at the start of the week and be off the mountain late on the return.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Find out (before you go if poss) where lift queue bottlenecks tend to be and try to avoid them at key times.
..... And just chill out - accept there will be a few queues - and have a fantastic time!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It'n not necessarily going to be as hideous as you think. If the snow is good everywhere (as it currently is) French families will spread themselves out over the small cheap resorts which you lot have never heard of, rather than all heading for what they consider to be overpriced 'usines de ski'. Paradoxically, bad snow years are good for the big high resorts because they leave the punter with less choice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IME Half Term is pretty busy, which means lots of people, which means queues, so a one piece might be a little restrictive if you are in a hurry. Go for a two piece for half term.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stay away from the mega resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Stay away from the mega resorts.
Think we've ticked that box.
jayne durham wrote:
Find out (before you go if poss) where lift queue bottlenecks tend to be and try to avoid them at key times. ..... And just chill out - accept there will be a few queues - and have a fantastic time!!!!!
There is a grand total of 6 lifts to choose from and two of them are 'bunny lifts', so the remaining 4 will definately have repeat use.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 8-02-09 9:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF_Skier, X?
1st lift or at least beat the schools.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, yes Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Focus on the positive. I help a ski company out and could choose any week of the season to heko out on a week with them.

In the choice between a low season week or peak week and the option of skiing on empty pistes without the family or going at peak time with the family, it was a bit of a no-brainer for me. I'm not worried about the crowds, I shall have a great time in Engelberg at half term, I love going skiing with my girls.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski when the French are eating and eat when they are skiing (either early or late). Helps to minimise the time you are skiing when everyone is on the slopes and they are at their busiest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro wrote:
I love going skiing with my girls.

Like me, i suspect you are able to keep up with the kids...on the lifts Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:
I love going skiing with my girls.

Like me, i suspect you are able to keep up with the kids...on the lifts Embarassed
Good point, I think I'll have to doctor their skis ( and their mothers) so I can keep up ! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B, is absolutely right. Ski through the french lunchtime which starts around 12 and finishes around 2 to 2.30. You will find the slopes much quieter over this period. Then stop for lunch.

Reserve your table for lunch where possible. Then you won't have to waste time waiting for one.

The other piece of advice, is if there is a one lift return that is the only lift back to a particular resort, make sure you get it in good time, then you can carry on skiing knowing the only way is down afterwards. The Arpette in La Plagne to Montchavin is one example of this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Start early, with a Mars Bar in the pocket, stop for a hot chocolate about 11, ski through lunchtime, then pack up when the after-lunch ski school groups start and going back to the apartment for a cheap DIY lunch. Then have a bit of a rest, prior to a toboganning/snowman/snowball session immediately after the lifts close.

(though this is based on experience in small French resorts - might not work in resort X).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get into a chilled frame of mind so that you relax in the inevtiable queues, instead of fretting about their length and the fact that various oleagenous eurotypes are pushing in right, left and centre (this is do I say, not as I do, advice).
snow report
1. Stay on the harder runs. If you're skiing blacks and off piste, they'll be fairly empty.

2. If you're driving, get there a day early, and leave a day late, so you get to ski both Saturday's.

3. If you want to book anything - ski school, skis, etc - do it in advance. Particularly in relation to ski school, you may not find space if you try to book on arrival.

4. Link up with another family, if possible. More fun for the kids, sharing the load for the adults.

5. Have a nice time! I've been skiing 1/2 term for years, and enjoyed it! There's usually good snow (seems very likely this year) and good weather. Relax, chill out, you're on holiday.
ski holidays
A more practical suggestion than my previous one; consider ski school or private lessons for at least some of the time, if you weren't anyway; they get to nip to the front of the queue. I'd also 2nd the lunchtime skiing idea.
snow report
If possible time your arrival at the lift to miss the 'must be on the first lift mob' but get there before the ski schools hit the first lift. In Montalbert the optimum moment is about 9.25 am. Or after the ski schools have all gone up at about 10.45 Very Happy
latest report
Sorry, I seem to have given three pieces of advice, although one was a duplicate.
ski holidays
In the days of modern chair lifts and cable cars, people seem to hate using draglifts and old chairs.

Often, using the older lifts can mean you avoid queues even at the busiest times (unless that particular old lift is a vital connection in the resort).
snow report
Lots of good advice received, here are another couple, teach the 6 and 9 year old the games called:-
queing and 'buying beers at the bar' !
Going out to the bakery for fresh bread at 7:00am
Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
Don't overestimate how bad it will be. I went last year, feared the worst, and it was fine.
snow report
Take spare gloves for the kids as they will lose some & the gloves will cost a fortune in resort.
If you can dump the kids at ski school or in a creche & then put as much distance as you can between yourself & the 'home' slopes.
snow report
BMF: Hmmm, 6 lifts, 2 of them "bunny lifts"... say hi if you see us around... Very Happy
snow report
If the ski bus runs on a circuit, consider getting on it going the 'wrong' way so that you're already on it when it goes the right way and doesn't sail straight past. That one is working quite nicely for us at the moment.
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
This is my first experience of a holiday at half term (other than being a kid myself many moons ago) and the first holiday with 2 kids along. I'm really looking looking forward to the trip. I wonder if i'll feel as positive after the event in 12 days time?

If you've experienced holidaying at this time and had to give just one piece of hard won advice what would you say? Other than don't do it! wink

Easy - don't go to any of the French well known resorts at half term. The queues in resort are the least of your worries, the journey in and out can be a nightmare!

Where are you going, the base post does not say?

I would and have picked Italy for half term many times. Canada this year, well tomorrow actually snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy