Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term - Your fears and aspirations

Poster: A snowHead
Many of us have no choice but to ski during the busiest week of the season, to some it is their only week on snow in the year.
I'm very lucky in that it is only one of my weeks each season.
I would rather not ski at half term but GCSE's dictate that I 'have' to!
I know it will be busy.
I know there will be queues.
I know some 'short cuts' avoiding the queues.
I know my favourite restaurants and bars will be fully booked.
But above all else ........
I know it will still be a great week in the mountains Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Again I'm limited to skiing with my daughter (which I love to do) during school breaks (half term and Easter this year).
I'm hoping that Zermatt will not be as busy as the large French resorts.
Zermatt's restaurant's are very busy anyway I hope we don't starve Smile
I hope that the efficient Swiss Rail service delivers me to Zermatt from Zurich painlessly
I hope (in vain) that my daughter's skiing doesn't leave me too far behind
I expect that we will have a great, invigorating time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We picked a quiet offshoot of the Sella Ronda. It will be awesome
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the next few days weather suggests that there'll be good snow across much of the French Alps for half term (it was pretty good even before the present falls). Looks like being lot better than last February. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hope the weather doesn't stop us getting to Stansted
I hope BAA/Ryanair/the Snowgods don't cancel the flight
I hope my kids' ESF instructor speaks some English
I hope the ESF stick to their claim of no more than 12 to a class
I hope one or two of the other kids in their class speak a few words of English
I hope my instructor sticks to reds rather than blacks
I hope we have unbroken sunshine, or at least no whiteouts
I hope there are no national strikes in France 14-21 Feb
I hope nobody breaks anything, or I'll never be allowed to take them again
I hope they enjoy themselves and want to go again
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Enjoy yourselves.
Stay safe,
I hope none of you come back with any serious injuries.
I hope the pound rises to 1.40 against the euro before next week
I hope all of you have a great half term trip.

I'd give anything to be going, even though we don't ski at half term any more. It's bloody killing me seeing all that snow on the webcams, and not being able to go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wish I could say "I know..." however it's going to have to be "I hope "

I hope the kids are going to enjoy their holiday and can put up with a silly old duffer (me) for just one week!

I hope that we do get a decent top up of snow over the next 5 days.
I hope that it stops long enough for a clear road to resort on Saturday morning
I'll happily forego sunshine for decent snow during the week.
I hope we all return sane, safe and free from injuries.
5 days until departure. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just hope that the coach is able to get to the resort.

My only fear is the fact that I'm on a coach again... Crying or Very sad

Well, I say my only fear... I'm working with bloody school groups, it's going to be mad. Skullie Thankfully the hotel we're put up at is in the @rse end of nowhere, so we'll at least be able to pretend its mid-January in the evenings. Razz

Edit: NB. In response to the posts below (and as I explain later also), the school groups comment refers to the chaos which will doubtless ensue with the administrative aspects (meeting points, lunch etc etc). It is not meant in anyway to be disparaging of the kids. Little Angel Reading back, I should/intended to write: "I'm working with school groups, it's going to be bloody mad."

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 8-02-09 18:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon wrote:
Well, I say my only fear... I'm working with bloody school groups, it's going to be mad.

And what is wrong with working with school groups? Doesn't seem quite the right frame of mind to approach things.

I've loved every week I've ever done with Interski, of which there have been many.

I won't be as lucky as some of you to be heading away to the snow. I will be on plastic though and only hope that I have some energy left at the end of the week in my old legs to perhaps go ski-ing on the snow at Nevis or Glencoe after delivering around forty lessons during the week. Looking forward to the week though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skisimon wrote:
Well, I say my only fear... I'm working with bloody school groups, it's going to be mad.

Here it Tignes we work with Ski Bound and lots of our instructors actually ask to work with Ski Bound rather than goups made up of individual holiday makers. The school groups are normally good fun and don't mind laughing at each other when they fall down Toofy Grin

My Hopes;

2 weeks of sunshine Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hope I'll still be in one piece at the end of the week!
I hope the european parliament or commission of whover it is doesn't let all countries have their holidays at the same time again in my lifetime!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
I hope I'll still be in one piece at the end of the week!
I hope the european parliament or commission of whover it is doesn't let all countries have their holidays at the same time again in my lifetime!
Although, just imagine if they spread the holidays over two full months? Surely it would be an excuse for the premium price period (for accomodation) to be applied over a longer period. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok here goes:

I know that we have been lucky to only now be facing our first ski week at half term.

I hope that the driving experience (for the first time) is better than I have always feared it might be.
I hope we don't have endless arguments on the navigation front - yes, we have got a sat nav but husband prefers maps!
I hope that even if its crowded we have a fab week as a family and the "children" will want to keep coming skiing with us for ages yet (am conscious at 19 and 16 how quickly the years have flown by)
I hope we manage to find some quiet spots
I hope we dont have to have too many "lunches on lifts"
I hope our euros will allow at least a few drink stops and perhaps an evening meal out!
I hope even if it is very busy this time, we'll still be looking forward to the next trip Smile
Biggest hope above all else is that on our return we are injury free having had a great week which exceeded all expectations.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
truffaut wrote:

I hope the ESF stick to their claim of no more than 12 to a class

12 to a class Shocked , we use International New School in Grimentz and their limit is 6 per class.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Much as I would love to take my 10-year-old nephew skiing, I simply can't afford the stupidly inflated prices of two single rooms at half term. I really sympathise with families with school-aged children who are forced into this position...

I'd also struggle to get time off work during school holidays (parents have priority over these dates) and I really think the busy resorts would put me off...

So I'll just contend myself with the fact that I get an extra half hour in bed during school holidays as there is 60% less traffic on the roads for my journey to work...

Have fun people and stay safe...
ski holidays
BMF_Skier, Yeah - but imagine if the whole of europe was nicely spread over the 4 weeks of the french hols. I'm sure it wouldn't be soooo expensive, everyone will be able to get lessons they want, hols they want, ski hire they want ....... paradise. This year's situation is good for nobody. Sad Last year OTOH was extremely civilised
snow conditions
snowaddict, if you'd read my posts about my previous work with school groups you'll know that I thoroughly enjoy working with them, rather than just jumping in with a disparaging comment. It's going to be hell because there will be so many of them in the same place (it was crowded enough at the meeting points and restaurants in January), all trying to set off in the same direction and use the same, tiny bit of beginner terrain. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
skisimon, I commented on your one post, not your entire post history. I'm sure how you wrote it is not how you intended for it to come across. However to those that do not instruct, you can see how they could interpret it though.

In twenty years of instructing including many periods around busy times on snow in Italy for Interski and also out in America, you've just got to go with the flow, everyone is out there for the same fun. Some of the busiest weeks have been the weeks I've enjoyed most, including one at Courmayeur where the beginner terrain was almost zero - that was fun!

I hope your week will not be too stressful and that you will really enjoy it. I'm sure it will be fine.

If you end up in Courmayeur, keep an eye out for the creperie just off the main street - it serves from a hole in the wall (there is also a cafe inside). The crepes are to die for. wink
ski holidays
I fear that sHs will be deluged with half term threads as those going work themselves into a frenzy of excitement and have to overthink and plan for any eventuality wink

I hope that everyone stays safe and that any injuries are those that easily mend.
ski holidays
snowaddict, okay, maybe it wasn't a greatly worded comment on my part. Embarassed (Should have said "bloody mad" as opposed to "bloody school groups"...) I certainly wouldn't say that the mindset is about the kids though, which is why I referred to my previous posts, elsewhere admittidly, in which I comment on the fun I had with school groups (my post history is the necessary context so as not to misinterpret).

Am just about to make a little note so as people don't get the wrong idea about me... Little Angel

I was in Courmayeur in January and am supposed to be again next week, so not looking forward to the first day or two up at the top. Thanks for the tip about the creperie Madeye-Smiley, haven't come across it yet.
snow report
skisimon, you sound passionate about the sport and working with kids like me, cool! wink Sounds like the kids that are going to get you in Feb are going to have a great time!

The bit I find tough when it is busy at Courmayeur is getting the cable car up in the mornings, that can be a free for all. The rest of it I just put my laid back head on! Toofy Grin

You'll have found Bar Roma then! What to do is head to the creperie before you go to Bar Roma! Head up the main street from the Bar Roma end. The creperie is about half way along the main street, just in a side street off to the right, literally only five metres off the main street. If you get to the church on the right in the open space, you've gone slightly too far on. It really is yummy. I'm dreaming of their chestnut cream and rum crepes as I type!! Toofy Grin Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I hope we have a safe journey in good weather without any traffic problems (none last year, more of the same please).
I hope to be pleasantly surprised again a the lack of queues... I know exactly where to avoid... school school collection and drop off dictate that I cannot avoid some minor queues.
I have my first restaurant booked - and hope the others will follow furing the week.
I fear a white-out whilst kids are in ski school and hope clear blue skies will prevent that happening, please stop the snow-dancing after Friday - there will be plenty not for next week.
Most of all, I hope my family and I have a happy, fun-filled, injury free fantastic time in my favorite place in the snow.
latest report
snowaddict wrote:
I'm dreaming of their chestnut cream and rum crepes as I type!! Toofy Grin Very Happy Toofy Grin
Madeye-Smiley Sounds fantastic. I shall add a chestnut cream and rum crepe to my aspirations for the week. Laughing

Yep, enjoy an hour or so in Bar Roma at the end of the day, filling up with free food to make up for the measly lunch on the mountian. wink
latest report
Have one for me! Smile
snow report
I hope the kids have a great time
I hope BMF_Skier and I are still on good terms after a week of living in a small appartment with my kids
I hope he doesn't catch me swinging my arms into a turn or not facing down the hill - life won't be worth living rolling eyes Laughing
I hope we get another 50cm of snow in the next 7 days
I hope I can get down a black passably so BMF_Skier has to ride the togoggan course Laughing
I hope I can reach the disengage brain and just ski point of competence
latest report
Boredsurfing, tell me some short cuts! Pleeeeese!

Ideally how to best enjoy some child friendly runs from Plagne Villages without becoming in the monstrous Bellecote queues.
snow report
Quote:

I hope he doesn't catch me swinging my arms into a turn or not facing down the hill

I didn't think facing down the hill was approved of these days, or not in big radius/carved type turns anyway? Having been working through Fastman's DVDs, I've been trying to cut down on the "countering" which I think I was taught at some point in the past - I distinctly remember "Face zee walley" being shouted at me in Norway in 1963...
latest report
I hope to be able to rest, relax, drink beers and generally chill out! Cool
I hope that everone improves. Very Happy
I hope that Megamum wont do that black, or I'll be expected to thow myself off the cliff that is referred to above as a toboggan course! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sproggski wrote:
Boredsurfing, tell me some short cuts! Pleeeeese!

Ideally how to best enjoy some child friendly runs from Plagne Villages without becoming in the monstrous Bellecote queues.

sproggski, Most of the short cuts involve drag lifts wink
Avoid going down into Bellecote proper, you can get out of Bellecote by using the beginners lift called Belle Plagne at Belle Plagne and then work across to the Col de Forcle drags to go either to Champagny or back to Plagne via the Leitchoums drag. If in a hurry you can get off the Col de forcle drag half way and ski down to the Leitchoums drag Very Happy
You can also access the beginners area at Aime 2000 by going up in the Telebus from Plagne Centre Smile
ski holidays
I hope you take all your kids to Europe. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Looking at the weather forecasts your major fear for half term might be freezing your nuts off, and your aspiration to keep them firmly attached. Take all your layers and buy hand warmers, balaclavas and neoprene face masks before you go!
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, cheers. Looks like those drags are the key to avoiding the queues for the Roche de Mio bubble and Colosses chair.

If it is as cold as pam w suggests, then happy dayz! The better half and children might not want to go out first thing, so giving me scope to go play or hook up with SCGB or other snowHeads for the morning NehNeh Toofy Grin

Save some fresh snow for the weekend!
ski holidays
sproggski,
Quote:

avoiding the queues for the Roche de Mio bubble and Colosses chair.

Never ever queue for the Colosses chair wink Always use the Colosses draglift (It does have a dog leg turn half way up Toofy Grin )
snow report
pam w, Shocked Shocked Windchill of -38c forecast for Sunday night at 2250m. Winter draws on!
ski holidays
If it stays as windy as now the chairs will be closed anyway!
snow report
My silly friends have managed to think that the age of concent in Italy is 14 (is it? Puzzled ) and they are also convinced they are gonna get some naughties with the Swedish convent we are sharing a hotel in (they are not pedophiles we are 14/15 Laughing )

So my hope is they realise that 14 year old strangers from another country in a school run by nuns wont do anything other than what it says on the box NehNeh

My hope is as any 14 year old would hope to get some fantasy action (nah), I wanna show of my skillllz and make every one jelouse Laughing
snow report
Quote:

My silly friends have managed to think that the age of concent in Italy is 14 (is it?

I don't think I should tell you. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Thought I'd revisit mine
Quote:

Again I'm limited to skiing with my daughter (which I love to do) during school breaks (half term and Easter this year).
I'm hoping that Zermatt will not be as busy as the large French resorts - It was not too busy at all, not a problem.
Zermatt's restaurant's are very busy anyway I hope we don't starve - we mainly ate in the less expensive restaurants (pizza's etc) which suited my daughter completely. Shared the North Wall bar with Martin Bell one night
I hope that the efficient Swiss Rail service delivers me to Zermatt from Zurich painlessly - Not completely painless, very crowded and little luggage space going, but fine and I'd do it again
I hope (in vain) that my daughter's skiing doesn't leave me too far behind - No chance her skiing is getting so much better than mine with every trip
I expect that we will have a great, invigorating time - ABSOLUTELY
latest report
I always look forward to half-term enormously. Far less traffic on the roads.
snow report
Colin B, snowHead You'll have to fit in some sneaky ski clinics to catch up with her!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy