Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen - Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All, There is a chance that I can get a second week skiing this season in Mayrhofen, deprating 11th April. I've never been away that late before, so my question is, other than the usual "whats it like / where to go etc", is there likely to be any snow at that time of year? I know its a glacier resort, but can anyone tell me from their experience......

Cheers me dears!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen has no glacier. The glacier is in Hintertux which is 12 miles from Mayrhofen.

Mayrhofen and Hintertux are two of the 7 unlinked areas in Zillertal Valley. Only the Ahorn area is within walking distance from Mayrhofen.

The distances are

From to Distance(m)
Mayrhofen Hinterlux 12
Mayrhofen Vorderlanersbach 7
Mayrhofen Mayrhofen 0
Mayrhofen Zell 6
Mayrhofen Konigsleiten 22
Mayrhofen Kaltenbach 10

The sizes of the major areas are

Resort Pistes (km)
Fugen/Spieljoch (Zillertal Valley) 21
Hochzellertal - Kaltenbach 134
Mayrhofen - Penken/Horberg/Rastkogel/Eggalm 157
Hinterlux 86
Zellertal arena -Zell/ Gerlos/Konigslieten/Krimml 163

Mayrhofen (Penken) is fully linked with Horberg, Rastkogel and Eggalm (access via Vorderlanersbach). Zellertal Arena and Hochzellertal are comparable in size to Mayrhofen.

Any 4 days or above ski pass purchased in any of the 7 areas will entitle you to ski the entire Zillertal Valley. You can go to them by buses but I don't know how good they are as I drove myself.

The skiing in Zillertal Valley starts mainly from the top of the base godola or cable car so early April should be alright.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Horberg, Rastkogel, Eggalm and Hintertux are all easily accessable from Mayrhofen by green line bus (maybe other 'colours' IIRC) from the station. Zell am Ziller is best by train - approx 15 mins and then bus to the lifts.

I can't answer the question regarding the snow in April, but Hintertux is about 25mins by bus and has about 250cm of snow at the moment. I'd be surprised if skiing there in early/mid April was a problem, but one never knows.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing in Hintertux, as in every high altitude glacier, has a common drawback and that is strong wind.

It is not unusual to find ice at some isolated spots where the wind is the strongest and able to blows the dry snow away overlying ice melt in the previous summer. Hard pack piste runs can be common. Hintertux seems to have stronger wind too in my two visits there. The resort was shut in the first visit and in my second visit I experienced the strongest wind exposure I have had ever on skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mustdash, I was in Mayrhofen three years ago the same week you are going. I was a bit perturbed when arriving at Munich airport and seeing a temperature display reading 21c and even more so as I sat drinking a late afternoon beer outide having arrived in Mayrhofen outside under a warm sun. However, although there was no snow in the village all week there was plenty on the mountain. Indeed we had three days of snow. My brother in law who is a regular there reckons it currently has the best snow he has seen in a long time and will easily last until Easter. It better had as I'm I'll be there from 4th to 12th April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy