Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-booking ski hire before departure

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've never done this before and always just hired in the resort. However the websites seem to make very attractive claims. So I have some questions:

a) are these claims valid ?
b) is there a best site for these (skiset / snowbrainer / snowrental.net / a.n.other) ?
c) are there any downsides

Thanks in advance for all your tips / suggestions / warnings. I'm skiing in Italy (Arabba) if that's of any significance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have always pre-booked on my last 5 holidays. The price you pay online is price you pay- they don't try and charge you extra when you get there. Saves time going around the resort to find a good deal.

Best to find a resort map and find the shops closest to where you are staying- no point hiring from somewhere 2 miles away. Then do a search on about 3/4 shops to find out average price/deals/discounts. I always tend to get a lower pack than what my ability is, then if I am not happy with the skis they have in the shop upgrade to a pair of skis that are suitable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends what the claims are!!

We always recommend that our clients pre-book.......... the shop reserves the good equipment for us so our clients get this years skis and boots.

If someone walks in then they're given what's available.............
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The reason I put in point a) is that I can hardly pop round to see if it's actually any more expensive (or indeed the same or less) in the shop so I've no idea if I am getting a bargain or not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dsoutar, we are skiing in Arabba next week and I've booked through snowbrainer, as I could pay with paypal and I had some money in my account but they were still the cheapest at the time. They have also been helpful with some queries I had. I had the option of entering specific weight and size information but didn't do this as I would prefer to select in the shop rather than have someone select skis for me. I suppose there is the risk of getting to the shop on Saturday afternoon when there is limited choice available but if this is the case then I may leave and return on Sunday morning, as I won't be skiing on Saturday. They sometimes prep skis in the evening, so choice fluctuates. This is the case whether you pre book or just walk in.

The advantage of just turning up and paying is that you can look around the shops before committing but as there are only three hire shops in Arabba and two of these (Orizon and Sport Mode) are owned by the same people, then there is a reduced benefit in doing this when you balance the saving you can make.

If you book top end or next to top skis, they usually let you change them during the week, within reason.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dsoutar, I was sceptical, but the discounts are genuine. 80€ on line for pre-book (me) against 115€ on the day (friend) in the 3V and then 80chf pre-book against 110chf in Villars. I guess you could try to haggle, but I think some resorts are pretty much a cartel.

If you want something specific when you get there you can always change and pay the extra on the day. Snowrental seem cheapest to me, and although their website has it's scary moments the bookings have always been fine in resort
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bewarw of the photos of the example skis in the different categories - i was stung by Skiset in Tignes in december when they had a photo of a model in the category, but in the shop they said that was in the category above. I emailed a few shops for my next trip and they all seem scarily shy of telling you which model is in which category. Havng said thet, it is cheaper
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I now always prebook, but the discounts get less the nearer to the date, best to book 6 months ahead if you can
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dsoutar, I've had good and bad experience of pre booking. Which company are you thinking of booking with?
It can be more expensive in resort, particularly if you go directly to a hire shop.
It can also be a mad rush if you're visiting a hire shop while all the TO clients are being kitted out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just hired with Skiset in Zermatt. I could see from the computer screen that the price would have been SFR 295, had I not prepaid. I paid about SFR240. So, the discounts seem genuine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have hired with snowell.com for the last 3 years - their big advantage for me is that they give kids 10 and under completely free skis, boots, poles and helmets. Makes a huge difference on the bill for a family of 4.

You sometimes get a choice of shops - but often just the Sport 2000 one in resort - both in Tignes and Samoens we were more than happy with the service and there was no problem changing the skis if need be.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy