Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great Resort Close To Salzburg???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi can anyone give me some advice as to where to ski near Salzburg. We are flying there next Thursday (12th) and had originally hoped to go to zell am see but we are finding it practically impossible to find accommodation there. We are intending to use public transport or get a short transfer from the airport or from the town. We are not the best skiiers in the world, aiming for blue and red runs Any advice would be gratefully received. Many Thanks. Puzzled S-100
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

We just got back from Schladming last week and had a great time.

About an hours drive in a car from Salzburg, big ski area with loads of reds and blues and plenty of snow at the moment.

We stayed at the Hotel Kirchenwirt. Very nice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
by train Gastein Valley or Hochkonig region (closer) would be good, but there are loads around there
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obertauern is only 45 - 60 minutes away from Salzburg. Probably the most snowsure resort near Salzburg. Lots of Blues and Reds.

It might be difficult finding accomodation though!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about Saalbach?

This hotel took us for a 3 night stay in Jan when loads of others wanted to hold out for Sat to Sat bookings.
It's brand new this year so doesn't have any repeat bookings for people who stay there every year (which is very common in Austrian resorts).

http://www.hotel-auwirt.at/index.php?id=1&L=1

EDIT - you can get a shuttle bus from Salzburg airport too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
danielaclark wrote:
Obertauern is only 45 - 60 minutes away from Salzburg. Probably the most snowsure resort near Salzburg. Lots of Blues and Reds.

It might be difficult finding accomodation though!

Another vote for Obertauern. I'm off there the first week in March. I think it is at 1800m. The last snow report I saw showed that they have 2m plus on the upper slopes

I can echo the comments about finding accomodation - it was a nightmare, but we did leave it late and there is a group of us Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Schladming, great for intermediates with 4 lift linked local mountains so you can do some different slopes without the need for car / bussing about, definitely recommended and ideal for intermediates lots of blues and not too difficult reds. Lots of accomodation too, have a look at Tiscover.at. Obertauern is also on my "to visit" list though and think that would be great too! Good luck, sure you'll enjoy either Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was also going to suggest Schladming.

And although the others say an hour by car, it is also on the main railway line, so very easily acecssible using public transport.

Most of the runs at Schladming are fairly flattering reds, with a sprinkling of blues and (easy) blacks. I went there for my third week ever sking, and thoroughly enjoyed it - including skiing the main black down tfrom the Planai by the middle of the week (that is the one the World Cup night slalom is run on).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sagittarius100, you can do an accomodation search on Tiscover, Feratel and the chosen resort's tourism website:

http://www.tiscover.at/home/index_at.html?_lan=en

http://www.feratel.com/en/accommodations/austria/salzburg/zell-am-see.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sagittarius100, You could try the Skiwelt.at Great snow and 280 kms of piste only about a hour from Salzburg.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look at

www.skiamade.at
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey, we went to Fieberbrunn Jan 16th for four days and it was really great. Good Skiing lots of blues, reds and some blacks, all really enjoyable, they also have a half-pipe and a permanent slalom course which anyone can use. We had a great time it is an hour from Salburg and quite close to St Johann and Kitzbuhel. We went with Snowscape (for the accommodation and transfers and got our own flights) who were excellent and stayed at the Hotel Alte Post which was very nice, the ski are is really close you can either walk which we did coming back after skiing or get the bus which takes about 3 mins. The are some lovely restaurants up the mountain very tyrolean and they are great to grab a well earned beer after skiing. Good hire shop up near the lifts and you can leave your gerar up there in lockers inside the shop. We loved it. I am sure you would get accommodation there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi there. Last year we went on spec to the Gastein valley and loved it, we stayed in Dorfgastein. Really quiet spot with just a few family restaurants and a couple of bars, stayed with the fantastic Rieser family whose boot room opened straight onto the piste! I would thoroughly recommend their place, web address is www.landhausgastein.at Don't be put off by the fact the site is in German, they speak superb English. Find the pink page to see where the house is in relation to the skiing! They do B&B and have apartments, fully kitted out for internet and a 5 star sauna in the basement. We'd planned to ski at Bad Hofgastein, and Bad Gastein and Sport Gastein which are a short drive along the valley but Dorfgastein was so superb we didn't bother - too easy to fall out the back door onto the piste and straight into the gondola! Lovely varied resort, plenty to do for a week or so and amazingly good restaurants all over the mountain. Its only about an hour from Salzburg. We went at Easter 2008, snowed loads while we were there and even though it was the holidays it wasn't particularly busy. Wonderful spot. If you go tell the Riesers that Chris & Andy say hi[/img]
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try St Johann im Pongau - it is on the main train route out of Salzburg with lots of trains. Most Gasthofs or hotels do pick ups from the station. Skiing is fabulous, mainly reds and blues, ideal cruising country for anyone. Lots of accommodation in all price categories to. I can recommend the Berghof (4+*)which is opposite the cable car station in the satellite area of Alpendorf, Tennerhof/Brückenwirt (3/4*) in the town itself, Silbergasser (3*) in the Hauptstrasse. Plenty of others in all classes. The free bus service to/from the cable car from the town is really good too. Skiing in the middle of town too on the Hahnenbaum with the Sporthotel Prem at the bottom of the chairlift - so real doorstep skiing wink

Your problem with accommodation is due to the schools in Austria, Germany and the Benelux countries beginning their rolling period of winter half terms. The main high season period though begins on 21st Feb which is the start of the Fasching holidays

Sue
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sparkygirl wrote:
hey, we went to Fieberbrunn Jan 16th for four days and it was really great.

I was in Fieberbrunn on Thursday and conditions were good. I wrote a short report at Fieberbrunn - Rosenegg.

The whole of the Hohe Salve range (Scheffau, Söll, etc.) is only about another half an hour away (and Kitzbühel, etc., too), though it may be more difficult to find accommodation there.
snow report
Wilder Kaiser resorts and the Kitz Areana are a wee bit off the track for someone using public transport only from Salzburg airport. Even with my driving (lead foot syndrome) it's a wee bit longer than half an hour from Salzburg to Kitz, let alone what public transport would go along at!

I was up on Sudelfeld yesterday for my first outing for nearly 3 years, thanks to the vagaries of the German Berufsgenossenschaft system. Nice and quiet for a first run out and the snow was OK even if the temperature was a wee bit high (11°C up there and only 3°C in Brannenburg at the bottom of the Mautstrasse!)

Sue in Samerberg! wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
it's a wee bit longer than half an hour from Salzburg to Kitz, let alone what public transport would go along at!

I did say "another half an hour", i.e. on from Fieberbrunn, adding to the hour mentioned in Sparkygirl's post. That would be by car/transfer. The train from Salzburg to Kitzbühel takes about 2.5-3 hours (plus the time to get from the airport to the station). Auto transfer is certainly more practical.
ski holidays
Hi not quiet sure when u posted and if u travel in feb ?
We were in the same dilemna last year and was suggested Flachau by an Austrian friend. It is perfect for your level ?? and is perfectly organized for ease of access to perfectly groomed slopes.
If u need accomodation, pm me and I will pass u the perfect on slope apartment which we stumbled across and have done 3 successive years there.
There is also a perfect pick u up at the airport private taxi service for 40 euro pp return service, village is circa 50 mind away.
Spot on place.
ski holidays
We were in Flachau today and it was very crowded, but if you are a confident skiier and can weave through, the lift queues were small and despite warm temps, the pistes were compact and easy to ski. The huts werent too busy, but its nearly Fasching(carnival week) and will get very, very busy.
ski holidays
sagittarius100, as suggested above, try the Gastein valley. It should fit the bill and there are regular direct rail services from Salzburg. For accommodation, go to www.gastein.com. If you click Accommodation then lodging enquiries on the drop down menu, you can leave your requirements on the site and then local hotel/apartment owners will make you offers. If you want an apartment, make sure you click 'apartment' on the top left. You won't have too many problems finding somewhere.

Anywhere in Ski Amade is easily accessable from Salzburg

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
We have booked today for Schladming for the 7th March. Spent last new year in Altenmakt, had a great time. Not overly expensive comapred to France. Can anyone say if other resorts are accessible from Schladming by skibus? Just in case we want a bit of variety
latest report
kevducky,

There are four mountains all linked in Schladming plus the glacier. As a result i'd be surprised if you got bored,(We got back from Schladming last saturday and i only skied three of the four) however Flacau, Obbertown and many other resorts are closeby.

You'll find every run open as the snow cannon situation if needed is second to none.

This interactive map covering the two central mountains (The Planai and the Hockwurzen) shows the current lifts, runs open, pics of mountain resteraunts etc etc etc

http://ski.intermaps.com/planai/index.swf?lang=en

Have a great time. I'm sure you will. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Many thanks for that I can't wait. Had to cancel my january holiday to Meribel due to knee problems so chomping at the bit
ski holidays
kevducky, We shall be in Radstadt/Altenmarkt from 8th.
snow report
Hi Frosty

I don't know if you remember my post from last year regarding the toboggan run in Altenmarkt where I took my wife as passenger after a few too many beers at the pub. Nearly bloody killed ourselves as we couldn't turn. Ended up having to dive off as the sledge careared through the trees into the abyss. What do you learn- Don't drink and drive.

Can you get from Schladming to Altenmakt. If so how long does it take?
snow conditions
Its about 20 mins on the postbus. We will be visiting for one day I would imagine... if we can drag ourselves away from Zauchensee Very Happy

I did the sledgey thing in Kitzbuhel once. Been there, done that, nearly died.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, would you know if there is a direct bus from Flachau to Schaldming? Thanks
snow conditions
Tom W, sorry, don't know. Try searching the post bus timetables.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevducky,

Theres a 7km Tobogganing run on the Hockwurzen mountain at Schladming. Great fun!! You can hire the toboggan for 3euros during the day.

Its also floodlit at night but you have to buy an extra evening lift pass and it costs about 20euros. And its a bit more bumpy
ski holidays
no_snow_in_swindon, Also remember, many ski insurance polices do NOT cover tobogganing, and it is surprising how many injuries result from it.
ski holidays
alex_heney, True. But its great fun!!!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy