Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Las Gets - Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to all who replied to my original e-mail for advice on resorts for a first trip. Of the shortlist (Chamonix, Morzine, Avoriaz and Les Gets) I've now booked a chalet in Les Gets, going on Sunday 8th March for 5 nights. As it's our first trip (my wife and I are late 30s) we don't have much of an idea on hiring equipment, and would appreciate any advice on where in Les Gets is the best place to hire boots/skis. I am hiring a car in Geneva for the transfer and had thought of taking borrowed skis with me, but now consider that hiring at resort would be better, in case of problems. Also which lift pass would be best for us novices ! any advice would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gwyn,

www.berthet-sports.com

Very helpful team, good quality equipment, book via website to get 10% discount and they (Daisy) will contact you.

Lift pass - Les Gets/Morzine, can get online and collect in tourist office or just buy when you get there.

www.sagets.fr

Lou
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can also recommend Berthet sports - we hired ours from there, they exchanged no problem when youngest's boots were uncomfortable and you can leave your skis/boots there overnight in an area just off the shop so you don't have to lug them all the way back to your chalet - useful if you have a distance to walk to the slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both for your replies. I've e-mailed Berthet Sports and awaiting their reply. As you're familiar with Les Gets, I'm staying on the outskirts around the Les Perrieres area, so if you're familiar - would it be best to drive to lifts and park close by, or get the bus? Also where's good for food/drink? Thanks again
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gwyn, you can get Perrieres Express (6 man) up to the bowl from the carpark if you can walk to there. Or you can get the skibus/drive into the village in 3 mins.

You will be very handy for La Paika which opened last season as has had rave snowHead reviews! I've only had a hot choc there, but sounds like the food is very good. It's situated on the Vorosses run just where you ski over the Turche button lift. Lots of good mountain eateries, our favourites are Le Rossettaz (la Rosta chair, left at the top and down a little bit on the right), le Yeti (great rendezvous at bottom of Le Croix chair on Chavannes), Les Blanchots (perfect for a hot choc stop on Choucas run), L'hottys at top of Nauchets chair and the one on the Tulip run down from Ranfolly, just cannot remember name at the mo, sorry.

For food in the village, Lou Battandys is good for apres ski vin chaud/crepe(just along from Berthet). For eating La Taniere, Le Flambeau and Le Carnozet. La Pela is lovely but we save this for very special occasions as pricey.

If this is your first ski trip you may not be quite up to skiing over on Mont Chery but it's worth getting the bubble up and having a drink if the weather's nice as great view of Mont Blanc from the top and gives a good view of the ski area. You can walk to the lift in 10 mins or catch the Petit Train which runs every 10 mins or so and you can get on almost opposite Berthet Sport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just ask your chalet people and they will be able to help you with all the extras. Hopefully they will be able to give you Sterling prices which were set a while back when the exchange rate was much better and which are 20% below the resort price. This is what we have for our own clients (can't sell these without accommodation though). Otherwise we use Sport2000 Contat Sport in Les Gets and they are very professional - just turn up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We take our friends and small members of the family to Nicolas at Ski Fun Shop which is right opposite the bottom of the Express Chavannes lift and the Red Egg up to the Chavannes - always very helpful.

Food in the village, ditto Lou above, the Tourbillon also does a very good salmon dish. We had a very good 'last day' lunch yesterday at La Paika - both had lamb from the outside grill and the plates arrived stacked high with 4 great cutlets, 18 euros, but masses of it. Wine was 4 or 5 euros a glass and the hot chocolate there is delicious in big mugs - 4 euros, I only know that as I bought 6 mugs of it for our family on their last day in January and was a bit taken aback, but its good for a visit.

Someone elsewhere mentioned paying 4 euros for a can of coke which does seem a lot - just don't go back there.

One of our favourite places is Nathalie and Ivan's creperie at the bottom of the Atray lift - really good omelettes and salad, and savoury+sweet crepe + a drink for 9 euros - we often succumb when only stopping initially for a drink.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get a fondue to share with the missus. its a great laugh.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just get the LG/Morzine pass, more than enough area (150km) for two beginners to have a crack at. You'll love the blues directly above LG as you get the main bubble up past the Grand Cry kids area. Lovely blues that take you down and get your confidence up. The eateries halfway down are okay but you're better off eating down in LG. L'op Traken opposite the ice rink is by far the best value place in the town, plus it's brilliant food. The wine list is a bit tasty though– €2,000 bottles available!!!

If you want a god little shop try the one just past the ice rink (which will be on your right) as you're walking towards the Mt Chery lift. It's a little shop just on its own but the guy there was brilliant when we took our boards in for waxing and he seemed to ahve some pretty good kit in.

Late in the afternoon the runs in Pleney down into Morzine get crammed with snakes of kids being taught by ESF. Plus, they get icy as the shade comes bacfk over them and the temp drops. Do that area in the morning and then spend the afternoon in the Rosta bowl are or Mt Chery. If you have a big dump of snow then i guarantee you'll not find a better place than Mt Chery Smile

Enjoy Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman,
Quote:

If you have a big dump of snow then i guarantee you'll not find a better place than Mt Chery

Absolutely agree (as we've discussed before!) but it's their first trip so that's why I suggested going up there just for a drink Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also recommend Ski Fun Shop for rental - very helpful and so handy. You leave your skis/boots overnight and walk to the shop in your normal trainers/moon boots
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy