Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Ireland snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Well not sure what happend with the weather but Dublin and the surrounding hills where blessed with 10cm of Fresh snow yesterday. Conditions where great on piste all night and the off pise was not to bad either but got tracked out quickly.

Upper slope's 12 cm

Lower Slope 10 cm

Conditions Excellent

Off piste Tracked with some small stashes

The T box for the 9th Green beside the ski slope make a great Kicker to get a little air before heading through the trees at the side of the slope.

God if only this happened a little more often. People actually cancelled there classes because of the snow Confused More room for me I guess Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just arrived back from Austria via Italy (another story involving €650 taxi ride to get home after first flight from Salzburg cancelled) and excited by the snow, it is very wet snow where I am in Rathfarnham, I wonder what it's like up Three Rock or higher? I will post some photos soon from the plane cam!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im a bit further south than dublin and a fair bit higher. Im dealing with an average of 20cms of the white stuff around me and the surrounding mountains (wicklow). Cant get to college.... its great! If i had my own ski's i would have a few great runs around me. Starting to melt now thou.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's snowing heavily in Dublin city centre right now! There should be some fresh powder higher up, might consider a bit of night skiing later!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Ross, I have about 6 heavy duty lamps that could give us a nice 100 metre run down the wicklow couloirs. Although the place im thinking of had to have people air lifted to safety yesterday morning (sally's gap). A mountain rescue team skiied to their trapped car.

P.S. Got a nice covering of 5cms of fresh powder this morning.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a photo of the Dublin mountains looking towards the city and sea yesterday

More snow in the last few hours, fresh snow means fresh tracks or so SCGB say in their reports!

scrubyjoe, I read that, there is a thread about it on snowheads.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saw it just after i posted Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys,
There are some great runs up and around Kilakee and in front of Orlagh hous is great on a pair of skis. The ski club has had great snow all week and from what I have heard got another really good dump today.

Head up there for a practice session they will have the lights on and open from 7:30 till 10:30ish tonight. saves you having to walk up and down the hill
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's a kicker built in Wicklow from http://www.irishsnowboarder.com

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow absolutely amazing night tonight in the ski club or Ireland in Kilternan. Deep powder snow both on and off the slope powder lasted all night and there was great skiing to be had in the trees to the side and on the golf course. God I hope this lasts till the weekend. Promise I will get some pics up tomorrow
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I plan to get a morning trip in tomorrow but going to the rugby at 5pm so won't want to venture too far, hope the roads are passable as cycling to work was dodgy at times this morning. As Fattes13, there was some heavy snow yesterday afternoon and it froze overnight. Fatties is there much of a base around Kiltiernan off-piste?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Powder day Kiltiernan (ski club of ireland this week)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 6-02-09 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow impressive! What is the place like on a normal irish day? ie. rain! I have never been because a friend of mine didnt rate it very highly. Im open to a second opinon
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scrubyjoe, it's normally waist deep powder from November to May!!! Smile What's rain??
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thinking of heading up Sleiveanorra in the Antrim hills tomorrow. We are 20 miles away and have a clear view and it looks to have taken a real pasting. Am hoping for 30cm+ on the forest roads.
snow conditions
Have just spent the day up the wicklow mountains and as a veteran who heads up whenever there is snow i can say that i have never seen as much snow there in my life. We spent the day sleighing on an old surfboard (very quick but no braking or turning possible), but i do i wish i had my own skis. Saw a fair few tracks in the field we were in from boarders and skiers but also all over the place so people have been having alot of fun. Where we were, there was at least 50cm of snow that is well packed inot a solid base with a fresh layer on top of about 20cm from last night. There have been reported snowdrifts of up to 150cm in places. Weather looks like it is staying cold for forseeible future, in the mountains at least, so that snow aint going anywhere for the time being. Happy days
snow report
bodhi, where were you? I cycled up to Taylors pub above Marlay Park tonight and the road is fairly icy. I'm wondering how high it will be possible to drive tomorrow in a car? 50cm of snow sounds just right though!

johnboy I need a quad bike of a skidoo for towing back up the hill, know anyone that has one.
ski holidays
Powder was amazing last night scrubyjoe, It is Dendix not as good as snow but better than nothing at all.

Slope is 190 mtrs long there are 2 poma lifts and plenty of quality instructors for both twin planks and tea trays and great value if you are a member skiing 7 days a week from Sep to
April

snow report
Did the Mournes get much?

Might take a hike up with the skis tomorrow!
ski holidays
element,

Dunno about the Mounres, but the N. Antrim Hills got a pasting. From 20 miles away they are completley white, so possibly between 30-50cm. Plan to ski the North side of Slievanorra tomorrow. Probably 300m of vertical with good snow cover on the forest roads.
ski holidays
johnboy, Sounds fun, take plenty of photos Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Dumping it down in Dublin at the moment, not good for disappointed French trying to get home. I was skiing yesterday at ski club, packed on piste, powder off-piste! Also was at the Ireland v France match, a great day snowHead I am going skiing now but will post photos later.
ski holidays
To Peter Ross. We were up by make out point/kilakee. The field there by the car park was extremely busy and full of sleghers so we drove towards johnny foxes on the kilakee road and there was another field with only about 10 people. You'll know the field as it has a 'no trepassing' sign but the guy who owns it is fine with people sleighin. We were there fri and the roads were fine, completely passable but this fresh snow may have made it more difficult.

Also checked out the ski club on fri evening and it was great fun. Thinkin of heading up there now again.
latest report
bodhi, Where you up at ski club today? Golf course was excellent today main slope was not that great but he middle slope was excellent I will be said to see the snow go as it has been an amazing week even getting to teach on it has been a new experience.
snow report
bodhi I was up that way today, roads clear and ice free, very busy sledding area at look out area you mentioned, although the field with the no trepass sign, the guy came out and said no way! Amazing amounts of snow, was also down Johnny Fox's way (apres ski) and some lads were snow kiting - very cool.

I will post my photos shortly but here is one from another forum as a flavour

ski holidays
Photos from yesterday, no comment required!

Ready to go

Dry slope Kiltiernan, Dublin

Snow kiteing Glencullen

Sugar Loaf Mountain, Wicklow

Close to the Dublin Wicklow border, remote farmhouse

Top of road connecting Johnnie Fox's and Rathfarnham, road dry but a lot of snow 50cm+

No point and just looking at it!

Looking north towards Dublin city just below

Apres ski

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 10-02-09 11:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
To Fattes 13, Didnt make it up to ski club yesterday but when we were there on fri it was similar in that main slope was hard and not greatbut golf course was awesome, deep fresh powder snow. Felt kinda surreal skiing such amazing snow in ireland.

To Peter Ross, nice photos. You obviosly found that field with no trespassing sign. When we were there there were a few people already in the field already and we thought they owned it so asked them. They in fact didnt but said guy who does is fine with people sleighin in it. The only reason i can think he was having none of it when you guys were there is because he has probably been inundated with people. Also we were there fri afternoon so he may not have been there. Thats a shame because its a nice/albeit quite short field but hope you guys found somewhere else. It will be a shame to see this snow melt, just wish it happened a bit more often
latest report
bodhi, he was a busy farmer, he needs to employ security! I drove a bit futher up near where the car park is and hiked up a few hundred metres in what was knee deep snow. Hard work but a nice run down. although I need to wax my skis again as was having troble gliding after a few days on the dry slope.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thinking of bringing the skis up to Wicklow this weekend, dont fancy Kilternan as it will be packed. Anyone recomend anywhere I can ski down and get my mate to drive down to meet us at bottom and then drive back up, ie use the car as a ski lift.

Great photos BTW of the snow in Wicklow
snow report
dublin1, Actually all bar the Sugar Loaf are photos of Dublin snow! Not sure about a road like that maybe Kippure as there is a road to the top, not sure is it open to general traffic though? If your mate will want to act as ski lift I'll join you!

Here's someone that skinned up Lugnaquila from www.climbing.ie

latest report
What next Gluwheins and Bombardinos in Johnny Foxes !
snow report
Peter Ross,

Brilliant effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Peter Ross, Amazing! cracking good work! You could fool people into thinking that you were in Zermatt or Zell Am See with some of those photos

P.S. That woman with you...... your sister?? *crosses fingers* Laughing
latest report
johnboy My next challenege this week is to get to the top of Lugnaquilla (900m+) and ski down, might be difficult without ski touring equipment but I'll see!

scrubyjoe not my sister, she doesn't ski, not yet anyway!
snow conditions
I am hiking this weekend Do I just strap my skis to backpack and carry boots, or is there an easier way (If only I had blades)
snow report
I'm no expert but learning, but you should be able to get skins and touring bindings in Snow and Rock, also snow shoes a possibility but then you are carrying alot of weight. I don't think blades would be much fun in deep snow, you'd probably sink.
snow report
Peter Ross,

Be careful http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7881349.stm
snow conditions
I heard that story, I was just in Great Outdoors buying the same map! Conditions seem good here right now so I presume they were found as they had mobile contact.
latest report
Just an update on the lost climbers on Lugnaquilla.

The Dublin & Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team and Glen of Imaal Red Cross Mountain Rescue Team began searching in difficult conditions for two men in their thirties who have been lost on Lugnaquilla since late Monday afternoon. The two men raised the alarm on Monday night after they lost their map and freezing fog and poor visibility caused them to become disorientated. They remained in contact with rescue services through the night.

The volunteer Mountain Rescue teams who had been searching the mountain on foot throughout the night were assisted by personnel from the Defence Forces and An Garda Síochána. Irish Mountain Rescue Association teams from around the country sent volunteer members to assist the rescue effort. The Coastguard and Air Corps helicopters also assisted with the search and two mountain rescue teams from Wales attended on request to lend their assistance, along with the PSNI Search and Rescue team.

HSE advanced paramedics stood-by at Rescue Base to treat the men once they were located. One of these advanced paramedics is also a mountain rescue team member, and spend a great deal of time on the phone to the two men to monitor their condition before they were rescued.

Conditions on the mountain were very difficult with deep snow, cold temperatures and poor visibility. The two men were eventually located by mountain rescuers who treated them on-scene. The were then carried on stretchers by mountain rescue teams from around the country before being airlifted to hospital for further treatment.

snow conditions
Was up the mountains today, major thaw on lower slopes and up higher the snow is heavy. Was up to 618m on Corrig Mountain on NW edge of Dublin/Wicklow montains. Hiked up with snow shoes I had borrowed. Weather was mild, no breeze but foggy. Very hard work breaking trail in heavy boot deep snow. Had a few turns on the way down but too heavy to be much fun. Very different from last Sunday when I was up last. However even with the thaw the road to the Sally Gap is still blocked so can't get into the heart of the mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy