Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade questions - Flachau and Bad Hofgastein

Poster: A snowHead
I just booked a cheap Ryanair flight to Salzburg for the last long weekend of March 26-31

Ideally I would like to explore the Ski Amade - very keen on Flachau area or Bad Hofgastein

Now, although my girlfriend skied for couple of weeks already she is still only happy on blue runs and gets scared on reds quite easily

Which area is better for gentle runs? There seems to be much more reds in Gastein valley,
would anyone know if there are really steep? Is there enough blues to keep her happy for a few days?

We will be there very late in March. Is Flachau too risky so late in the season?
I just wonder how much effort those resorts put to keep everything open in late March

Many thanks for your advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom W, there ae a lot of reds in the Flachau domain but they are mostly blue and easy. The pistes are very wide and the flatest blues are around mid station and the top where the better snow is likely to be.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks for this, would you know if Bad Hofgastein is similar ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would be very surprised if (nearly) everything wasn't still open at the end of March. I was in Wagrian (just over the hill from Flachau) at the middle of April a couple of years ago and they had still managed to keep the home runs open. Stuff up top was in good nick, the home runs weren't great but were skiable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom W, have a look at the historical snow data at http://www.skiinfo.com/Snow-History/Flachau-EATXFLACHAU-5831-en.jhtml?product.skiinfo.CHANGE_USER_TLD=AT&tp=1y&season=2008&report_type=mh#data and http://www.skiinfo.com/Snow-History/BadHofgastein-Schlossalm-EATXBADHOFGA-5831-en.jhtml?product.skiinfo.CHANGE_USER_TLD=AT&tp=1y&season=2008&report_type=mh#data plus for more data look on the Ski Club website if you are a member. Basically, both resorts have good cover at high level in late March, but both also have poor cover on the lower slopes, and in bad years (like last year), they will both have slushy conditions from about 1500 metres downwards.

I was in Flachau last year in late March, and we got lucky - day 1 was slushy and horrible, but then it snowed heavily and turned cold, and all was well. On day 1, only the highest run and served by 1 lift was in good condition, so everyone was queueing for this lift. The Wagrain side was better in places, but had the same issues as you lost height. I've never been to the Gasteinertal, but I'd imagine it is similar, but with more height to the mountains, there should be a little more choice, albeit with very few blue runs.

Snow making is available in both areas, but that's irrelevant when the air temperature is +8C.

Many of the runs in the Ski Amade are easier than their grading would suggest due to their width, but conversely there are some short patches which are harder than you'd expect for the grading, including some steep sections on 1 or 2 blue runs from Flachauwinkel.

Personally, I'd wait until nearer the time, and keep the option open to go to Kaprun or Schladming/Dachstein instead if the conditions are bad.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr, Yes I though about booking accommodation just before I go, so in case of really bad weather I can opt for Obertauern or Kaprun,
I just hope there will be any rooms left Wink

I know it could be a bit late but I could not resist a cheap flight, I paid around 50£ for 2 people return (but only one luggage which should be enough for a couple of days anyway)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W, as you've probably gathered from the piste map, the Gasteinertal is more geared to intermediates than beginners. That said, the area above Bad Hofgstein is considered family friendly with the easiest terrain in the valley.

The blues in the valley tend to be narrow tree lined runs which are really easy to ski on. The best blue in the valley is S1 up at Sportgastein which is like a really wide motorway without the traffic! I couldn't get a beginner off it few years ago. rolling eyes snowHead The other blue to note is the H3 run above Bad Hofgastein which is also nice and wide. The reds tend to be wide too but they have some surprises in places. For example, H1 above Hofgastein has a small section which is pretty steep but otherwise is the best run in the valley.

PM me if you want anymore info about the Gasteinertal.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh, Thanks for the details, I studied the map carefully that's why I choose Bad Hofgastein over Bad Gastein, I might have to check the red run myself before taking her on it;)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom W, I would personally recommend Obertauern - nice and close to Salzburg, easy skiing and much more snow-sure than the others. We go there most years for a long weekend early April and the conditions have always been excellent. Also at the weekend the Lurzer Alm is such a great venue!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would also rate Obertauern, which provides a good opportunity for 'exploring' and travelling if that's your thing. My personal favourite in this area is Zauchensee, up the valley from Altenmarkt, and linked to Flachauwinkl. Plenty of easy slopes, interspersed with great reds and straight forward off-piste. The huts are great and the quality of lifts etc excellent. Great 'small' resort for a mixed ability group. If you buy the superski pass, for a little more than the Ski Amade Pass, you can use it for Obertauern, Zauch, Flachau, Schladming and many more.

I'll hopefully be heading back (again!) at the end of March myself.
Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kaiser846, we were there last season in December, similar weekend set up.
Loved the place but if conditions are ok I would try something new this year Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Becquers, I might consider renting a car and drive around .... so many nice resorts around !

But if we will stick to one accommodation and public transport - it will be Flachau (for Zauchensee and Wagrain etc) or Bad Hofgastein (for Gastein valley)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kaiser846, Becquers, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom W, I reckon you'd be ok in Bad Hofgastein. I've take complete beginners there before and they've not had too many problems ... and enjoyed themselves too. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh, Would you know if there is any apres ski in Bad Hofgastein? From what I read its rather quiet,
but all I want is one lively bar for typical Austrian apres ski off the slopes and maybe a couple of drinks in the evening

I could not find any evening buses between Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein, but if we were to take a taxi, would anyone know how expensive it could be?
latest report
Flachau's a good call - much more opportunity for entertaining nightlife and back-door entry to Zauchensee is painless!
snow report
Flachau all the way - its more 'cuddly' than the Gasteins and perfect for anybody nervous
- the runs are nearly all red but are incredibly wide which takes a lot of the fear away

Are you planning on hiring a car? If so you could wait to see what the weather is doing before booking accomodation

If the low resorts are poor you could look at staying nearer to the higher places

Plenty of online websites where you can book late ...tiscover.at recommended
snow conditions
Tom W, I've never done apres in Hofgastein but I think you're right, it can be quiet. I've walked passed bars that seams really lively from the outside, but i'm normally off to catch the bus so just walk by.

If you stop up the mountain, the Aeroplanstadl and the Pyrkerhof i've heard are good, aswell as the Hirschenhutte in Angertal (yes it's at the bottom of a black run but you can walk back up to it on the flat piste from the Angertal Ski Centre).

As for buses up and down the valley, the ski bus timetables can be found here - according to this the last bus from Bad Gastein down to Hofgastein is at 17:55. However if you go onto www.postbus.at, the last bus from BG to BHG is at 20:25. As for taxi's, just make sure you agree a price before you set off. I reckon i've been done a few times.

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
I like the look of Flachau, however the combination of late season and my girlfriend scary look at their red pistes pushes me toward Gastein, but maybe I am wrong
I might just wait till last minute to decide and book the accomodation, I hope there will be some still available
snow report
Tom W, most reds at Flachau are blue, wide & easy.
snow report
Tom W wrote:
I just booked a cheap Ryanair flight to Salzburg for the last long weekend of March 26-31

Ideally I would like to explore the Ski Amade - very keen on Flachau area or Bad Hofgastein

Now, although my girlfriend skied for couple of weeks already she is still only happy on blue runs and gets scared on reds quite easily

Which area is better for gentle runs? There seems to be much more reds in Gastein valley,
would anyone know if there are really steep? Is there enough blues to keep her happy for a few days?

We will be there very late in March. Is Flachau too risky so late in the season?
I just wonder how much effort those resorts put to keep everything open in late March

Many thanks for your advice

ill be a week before you in gastein, i could inform you about the snow and other things Smile keep in mind global warming.
ski holidays
In your position I would err towards Flachau as there are lots of wide easy runs there, but there will still be suitable terrain for your girlfriend at BHG, so either would do. If you go for BHG, the Schlossalm sector is the best area for gentle blues. If you go for Flachau, most of the mountain is fair game.

There are a few fun bars in BHG so don't worry about it being too quiet.

At that time of year, I would leave it late and follow the snow, you will have no trouble finding accommodation at that stage of the season.

D
ski holidays
Akanu, Thanks but this thread is from last winter Laughing
I would love to this again this year but I do not think it will happen Sad

So I can tell you now - we had masses of snow - make sure you go to Zauchensee!

snow report
Deliaskis, this is what we eventually did - opted for Flachua. This is a last year thread
I hope to visit the rest of Ski Amade on the road trip next winter. We were very impressed. Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy