Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reasonable resort for beginners for 5 days - your best suggestions please!!:)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
Am trying to do a bit of research for a cousin of mine who wants to bring her 3 kids skiing later this season

Her needs:
1) Easy flight / transfer from Dublin to resort (pref train/bus, but carhire for journey up to 2 hours OK also - so that's not too fussy)
2) Good resort for beginners (all 5 will be newbies)
3) Nice spacious accomodation in the reasonable/mid-range price bracket
4) 5 nights option (this is the killer as far as i'm concerned seeing as most place only book for full week)
5) If not 5 nights, then good full week suggestions gratefully accepted

All suggestions gratefully accepted - this lady is an absolute star (looks after her disabled brother full time and therefore rarely gets time away with her kids and hubbie) - i'd really value your input

Manythanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out www.snowbizz.co.uk, we have just booked with them for 8th March. Taking my kids for the first time, ages 7,6 and 3.
I have done alot of research and this place was recommended by friends who all went with young children skiing for the first time. Smile
Prices pretty good too!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doogo, you might want to push her my way!!

50minutes Geneva Airport to the Chalet
Great resort for beginners
LArge rooms
we can do 5 nights if that's what they want
affordable luxury is where we're at!!

Let me know if you want more info!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Instruction in price here (Megève, 75 mins frim Geneva):

http://www.simonbutlerskiing.co.uk/da/24868
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Folks,
thanks a lot - keep the replies coming now!!

Marcellus - thanks - i'll pm you as well
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Marcellus - could you PM me please....?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
doogo, how old are the kids?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
doogo, we were skiing in Morillon last week (report on the way!) and thought it was great for beginners or novice or nervous skiers (and people who are none of those things!). We stayed in a lovely catered chalet with a hot tub, which will do shorter than a week, and they also have a self-catered chalet with hot tub, but she would need a car as it's not on a bus route. Drop me a pm if you need more info.

Transfer is good too - just around 55 minutes and my 9 year old (who can usually throw up before the end of the road rolling eyes ) was fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski, 11,9,7 and all reasonably sporty so they should be able to handle the snow i reckon
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen, thx - will do
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski school might be a bit of an issue if the plan is for five days in resort. Most beginners book into week long classes, either six days starting on a Sunday or five days starting on a Monday. Worth thinking about before choices are made regarding accommodation and resorts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doogo, Try www.skimorzine.com Chalet flo for short breaks any no of days they pick you up from Geneva. Morzine links with Les Gets great for beginers, They also drop of and pickup for the lifts. good luck Blush
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Worth thinking about before choices are made regarding accommodation and resorts.

Seconded. Success with the ski school experience will be more important than anything. The Simon Butler suggestion would be a good one if the timing could be fitted in.

If coming to France, the week beginning 7 March, or the following week, would probably be best.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doogo, Would definitely recommend a resort and accomidation that is close to ski school and slopes as beginners hate carrying all their gear around as it's all new to them. I've taken my 3 kids to Belle Plagne (great ski convenience but butt ugly resort and long transfer - but that was from Lyons), Claviere in Italy (would not return, put it that way) and last year Oberlech which was by far and away the best, but most expensive to get to of the three, but surprisingly was cheaper than France once there. Would highly recommend Oberlech but it would be expensive.

My own preference is for Austria having skied France several times and Italy twice. The problem that you have is that if ski convenience is top of the list then some of the purpose built French resorts should do the trick. A couple of Austrian places not really on the UK op radar are Serfaus, Kappl and Nassfeld - all within easy reach of Innsbruck. Have not been myself but have come highly recommended by mates that have been and various articles and have the ski convenience that a lot of the French places have. Austria is cheaper than France too and in my experience the apres far superior (as is the beer, nude saunas - the list goes on)

If Austria not your tipple you could try Flaine, Alpe d'Huez or Avoriaz which are all within easy reach of Geneva.

Also bear in mind if booking a package holiday they will be skinned for trying to get 3 kids in a room. Trust me I've been there and now go independent as a result

Good luck though as it sounds like your cousin needs a well earned break
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski, pam w, peteski, rob@rar, thanks for all your replies - just at the early stages of info gathering for her - all your insights will be taken on board - great tips as always - and snowheads provides an excellent sense check once again!!

pam w, rob@rar, good point on the ski school thing - sunday will be an issue but should be able to get them there for a monday (at a reasonable flight price) so the kids won't be left behind

peteski, i've only ever driven through Morzine but it fits the bill transfer wise and also for the ski level i understand - thanks for that

boabski, cheers for the thoughts - i agree that austria might be more manageable - innsbruck is not a runner from dublin though which is a pain and salzburg is always more expensive than say geneva or lyons ... munich is an option so at least that would get me to the western part of the tirol pretty quickly - anniepen has given me some good info on Morillon and marcellus on Les Carroz so i suppose Flaine is also an option - what is the drive up to Flaine like - the last bit looks fairly switchbacky ....

Again folks - many thanks, your help is much appreciated
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy