Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who went skiing today??!! (in England!)

Poster: A snowHead
I got a few runs in the powder on the old wycombe summit slope. There was a fair bit of burn showing through but i got a good few turns in.

Who else managed ??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A handful off Richmond hill and in Richmond park. Gnar.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doing it in the street in Wimbledon.

Tempted to find something a bit steeper tomorrow.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a little tour today down at JH - Juniper Hill - not to be confused for Jackson Hole wink

El Dorado in the background....

the final approach (approx 10" of fresh snow).....

leave the Swedes trailing....

Work permitting, snowHead , I think I might haul the Explosivs up tomorrow and the leave the touring gear behind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i bladed to lectures this morning
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As mentioned here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48751 a video of me skiing down my road.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
might be giving it a go tomorrow if there's enough overnight
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://uk.youtube.com/v/6t1ZMKHYbsM - Richmond hill

http://youtube.com/v/FXxyaVceNJE - Richmond park, with lots of treestumps and tassocks that were impossible to see and nearly caught me out a couple of times Embarassed
Some non-skiing and approach photos here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=216016&id=660675077
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nope, but the car journey home from work felt a bit like skiing in places... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i went snowboarding in the brecon beacons snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob, genius!

I'm based just down the road in Teddington and had exactly the same idea. Unfortunately, I can walk to work, so no excuse to take the day off Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I nearly fell over on an ungritted Brighton pavement.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Standard North West snow record. All gone by morning Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Erm... does skiing in Wales count?

I managed to six the hill by my house five times this morning. snowHead snowHead snowHead

I'll try to post some pics later as I've managed to make my way into work Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow still lying in Bristol this morning - went to Gloucester last night for some lift served skiing. Off piste nice, although avoiding boarders sitting around in the dark was 'interesting'. Snow cover was minimal after it'd been scraped and skied on a few times but still fun, although the off-piste leaves and twigs made for slightly sticky sliding at times.

On piste was average to good although the snow was mostly scraped off, so effectively it was still sliding on matting with the odd 'hit' of snow.

Not bad though, all in all and there's a base now for the rest of the season, we just need more snow now. Laughing
latest report
Sadly not as I don't have my own skis, but on my way back from the pub there was a very drunken man skiing down the road towards the sea, it was hilarious!
ski holidays
Which pub, where?!
latest report
Snow is rubbish here in Rugby. We've had maybe an inch but it's icy as hell thanks to that -5ºc freeze last night. Wanted to session a floodbank I foudn near the hosue but alas, work called and i had to go in. Bummer... Sad
snow conditions
Got the phonecall at 7.30 this morning telling me that work was shut snowHead so I've been out on the local slopes on my snowboard. Met my mate and his kids who were sledging. After 5 mins the kids wanted to go home, so we dumped them with their grandparents and went back out. Great fun. I think some of the locals were surprised to see me in all my gear striding down the high street, and a couple of people were videoing me as I boarded.
latest report
Elizabeth B, lucky you. I had a crazy journey to work this morning. 13 miles took over an hour and a half. Lots of cars in ditches!
ski holidays

This was me half way to work this morning (there was some deeper snow elsewhere on the pavements). Only had to take the skis off to cross a few sideroads and the bridge over the A3. Nowhere quite steep enough for turns Sad , but there were a few places where I got an adequate glide. I did contemplate putting on the skins to climb the "Stoke Park Escarpment", but it proved adequate just to freeheel, like most of the walk in.
ski holidays
GrahamN, I can see that you have sucessfully negotiated the imfamous LADYMEAD traverse. Very Happy
latest report
GrahamN, get up to Pewly Downs or Merrow Golf Course...have had 2 mega sledge sessions...the Cresta Run on the golf course is pure ice, narrow, big jump over the cross path.
Only for the brave (and teenagers).

Loving it here in surrey...plenty of deep stuff, and being the North Downs there is plenty of hilly stuff too.
latest report

I don't remember GS gates being this painful and unforgiving..... Sad
latest report
GrahamN wrote:

This was me half way to work this morning

Can you recommend the mountain restaurant in the picture Puzzled
snow report
Fishwins wrote:
I had a little tour today down at JH - Juniper Hill - not to be confused for Jackson Hole wink

El Dorado in the background....

the final approach (approx 10" of fresh snow).....

leave the Swedes trailing....

Work permitting, snowHead , I think I might haul the Explosivs up tomorrow and the leave the touring gear behind.

Fishwins, Was the second pic facing downhill? Looks like a cool little run.
snow report
rungsp, didn't manage to get over there - had some work to do (which I signally failed to do). hywel - sorry, can provide no personal recommendation for that particular mountain stubli as I've never darkened its doors.

The return trip was managed without major incident, despite being well after sunset - and I'd come so woefully unprepared that I'd left my headtorch at home. There were significant signs of melt/refreeze cycle - but the refreeze was very welcome as the skis then slid much more easily than on the outward journey. It was very satisfying to be able to negotiate the Stoke Park Escarpment with very little poling. However as Dunk warned, there was a briefly treacherous section on the Ladymead Traverse where the melt had been complete and the refreeze resulted in a slick patch of black ice. I did have my harscheisen in the backpack, but was fortunate to be able to negotiate this section without having to resort to them. The snowbridge over the Wey Crevasse was also a little thin, but the ascent on to it was achieved with only minimal difficulty. Snow cover on the much more substantial bridge over the A3 Ravine was excellent though, albeit rather icy, and the exit couloir was reassuringly filled - and sufficiently steep that it merited locking down the heelpieces and a tricky snowplough was required for maintaining speed control - particularly important as I was not wearing a helmet Shocked . Following this the ascent back to the home range was sufficiently hardpacked that I decided that skins were not appropriate and a simple bootpack was adequate.

Despite the absence of either Jaegermeister or Vin Chaud dispensaries on the final stretch, I did find some suitable Apres in the form of a takeaway curry. Not quite the descent from the Mooserwirt, but I did then manage a brief descent of my home road desipte the encumbrance of the Apres in one hand causing a slight loss of balance. A suitable end to a memorable day.
latest report
GrahamN, quality TR. I was misty eyed reading that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied up at Compton Abbas near Shaftsbury, Dorset yesterday. Got there a bit early and had to wait for it to get light. Embarassed Skied and hiked for four hours. Had to beg and borrow some old kit from mates as mine is in Switzerland. It was minus 12 on the way over which surprised me and around -8 at the top of Compton. An unusual type of hero snow (fresh 10cm on top of solid farmland) meant my mates old ski's took a bashing but I climbed three peaks (bumps) then skied a long way down intp the valley. It took me ages to climb back up but was great fun. Unfortunatly none of my mates wanted to get up at 5am and join me so the only photos I have are self taken. My ski kit is in Switzerland so I had to asemble a jumble of old and borrowed stuff. Great fun though, passing motorists stopped and thought I was nuts as it was snowing pretty hard on my final climb back up..photos later today
ski holidays
I was going to have a go on 'Donkey Hill' in St Annes,Nottingham but the risk of being shot or mugged on the way down put me off so i didn't.

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Rob
latest report
Had a morning at the Ackers in B'ham yesterday, as others said the main dendex slope got a bit scraped off but plenty of fresh snow on the edges and over the mating to the upper and lower nursery slopes was top quality snow.

Anyone who got the chance and missed it was a foolish soul, something special about boarding/skiing a few lines on your local slope! A great atmosphere about the place (all 5 of us!) and supporting grass roots British skiing. If the snow comes tonight (and into the weekend) as forcast I highly recommend getting out there and doing it!
snow conditions
I don't know where there are any dry slopes near me. There used to be one at Ilkeston/Cossall but it's derelict now. However, if we get more snow at the weekend I might just have to find one, it's doing my head in all this lovely snow whilst I'm stuck at work. There's loads of hills near me but I don't have my own skis any more...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Sheffield
ski holidays
..or Swadlincote - now Permasnow rather than Dendix, but if it's covered in the real stuff it probably won't be too different.
ski holidays
Not really local enough but thanks for the suggestions...
snow conditions
My OH skied Hilly Fields and Greenwich Park (SE London) Shocked Laughing

ski holidays
I skied Bristol today - wee tour round the local streets, round and down Horfield common (built a wee kicker) and played with my kids who were on their sledges, then down to Gloucester Road in ski kit (took skis off when I reached it 'coz a lot of snow had been cleared) for some Apres Ski.

Got some hoots from cars and the old thumb and little finger sign from one group in a 4x4 (usually used by snowboarders and dudes in da park).

Silly fun snowHead
snow conditions
My sister was off sledging this morning on her old-ski-sledge which goes like a rocket. that was in Frome. Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
but I don't have my own skis

That's where I am going wrong too Sad
snow report
Quote:

Unfortunately not today - but went yesterday!! Very Happy A fantastic afternoon at Weardale Ski Club, which is on Swinhope Moor in the County Durham Alps, AKA the Pennines - a great little set up with x2 button tows (one off due to a technical problem) and a piste basher. See http://www.skiweardale.co.uk/

Mine and Mrs MA's 5th day on Pennines snow this winter (shared between Weardale and Yad Moss in Teesdale - also see http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/index.htm) - another day to come on Sunday!! Who needs Courchevel??!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy