Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to go!?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We are 4 lads (intermediates) looking for ideas on where to go for a week's skiing 21st to 28th feb. We want to go to a big resort with lots of skiing but also somewhere with decent apres ski. We were planning on going to one of the French resorts (Meribel, Val D'Isere or Les Deux Alpes were options) but have been put off after reading about how busy they get in February. Anyone got any suggestions? Have started looking at Austria (St Anton, Ischgl) and Switzerland (Zermatt, Verbier). What do you think? Any advice appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hiya!! Welcome to snowHead

I vote St Anton.

Plenty of mileage and the apres ski is FANTASTIC. Also Austria is a lot cheaper than France in my experience this season, so that means more beer money - and trust me you'll need it in St Anton. I absolutely loved the place (hence the username and sig!)

Haven't been to Ischgl but I seem to recall it's quite low..but legendary apres.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With the current exchange rates I would definitely recommend Austria for a lads' trip. It has great skiing, a fantastic atmosphere and prices will still be reasonable there - so you won't not need a mortgage for your spending money.

Mayrhofen would be hard to beat. It will have great skiing for you, with access to umpteen resorts in the Zillertal (Ziller Valley) all covered by one lift pass and a (I think) free bus service - all in addition to the skiing in Mayrhofen itself. Oh (I nearly forgot...), and there's the other plus point of excellent apres ski - assuming you'll be fancying a swift half or three at night. Austria is hard to beat on that score and Mayrhofen has some great bars where the action kicks off at about 4pm (and lasts til late).

We had a lads' trip there and it became legendary.

There's also the Hintertux Glacier a bus ride away up the road. It's well worth a visit for more great skiing and fantastic scenery. And there's a great apres ski bar there as well in the car park.

You may get a good price on a package deal or, if not, you could travel Easyjet to Munich then take the train from Munich Airport to Mayrhofen. There are loads of cheap (from €30), high quality B & B's and you shouldn't have any problem getting fixed up. The official website will point you in the right direction.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the replies guys. Looks like Austria is winning the vote at the minute!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jaimechapman wrote:
Cheers for the replies guys. Looks like Austria is winning the vote at the minute!

Wait first check the Dutch, Belgian and German school holidays. If they are all at the same time, it will be very busy in Austria as well! Myself Im going to Italy that week (Corvara), only going to Austria end March (Mayrhofen).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Picadilly wrote:

Haven't been to Ischgl but I seem to recall it's quite low..but legendary apres.

On the contrary it is quite high and has better snow than Sankt Anton in warm condition (lots of North facing slopes).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Picadilly,
Quote:

Ischgl isn't low, the village is at 1400 metres, the top of the Gondola is at 2320 and the skiing goes up to nearly 3000. For Austria its about as snow sure as you can get. I've been loads of times and have never had bad snow. Your'e right about the apres though - simply world class.

jaimechapman, Sounds like you need to go to Ischgl. Great lift system, perfect intermediate terrain, 230 kms of piste and better apres than St. Anton.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bart_bdv, Corky, that's what you get for listening to misinformed people on holiday - that's what I was told by someone in my group when I raised the idea of going there next year!!

I do like the French resorts but for an all-round holiday with great apres, Austria is the place in my opinion.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Picadilly,
Quote:

Austria is the place in my opinion.

Agree on that one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jaimechapman, How about Saalbach Hinterglemm? Great slopes and great apres.
It is my new favourite place to go on holiday (pushing Ischgl into 2nd place).
Hinterglemm is a bit cheaper than Saalbach, so the locals told me.
We stayed in Saalbach and had a great time. It's 5km between the 2 villages and we paid 8E for a taxi one evening.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Verbier takes some beating. Just returned from a lad's trip with 12 - staying at Chalethotel de Verbier. Skiing and snow conditions were excellent. Rack up the jugs of mead at happy hour (4-5) in the Farinet - great apres and 1/2 price jugs still going at 8pm if you do enough- home for dinner then out again. Great resort, short transfer and some of the best skiing that can be had.
Its definitely an option for you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Austria it is! Just need to decide which resort. Anyone have any recommendations for Italy? I get the impression that the apres ski isn't very good. Am I wrong?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy