Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier's Edge ski simulator review

Poster: A snowHead
I finally bought a Skier's Edge trainer at the ski show late last year, after several years of pondering. It arrived in time to get in about a month of training in preparation for my first ski trip of the season. I started off with daily 10 min sessions and worked up to 20 and 30 min sessions by the last week. After a session it feels like you've had a good workout and all the right ski muscles are burning nicely. Technique feels quite natural too, although it can't really simulate sustained long radius turns. It basically simulates short slalom style turns only.

So did it work? I'd say a resounding yes! First run on the hill (having not skied for 9 months) I felt much stronger than usual and it felt like I'd been skiing far more recently. I was still going strong at the end of the day and had none of the usual first day aches or pains. Got to say I was very impressed. Ski fitness is normally my main limitation, so my skiing improved significantly simply from being a bit stronger and less tired.

Maybe you can condition yourself for skiing in other much cheaper ways, but this machine gets the job done fast and efficiently and it's almost (not quite) fun too. I've found all other ski fitness exercises deadly tedious and not very effective. My normal fitness regime consists mainly of regular fairly hardcore mountain biking and a little tennis, which must both help with skiing, but the Skier's Edge has still made a big difference, probably from more direct targeting of the ski specific muscle groups.

To conclude, not a cheap training option by any means, but if you want to ski hard from the start and you're not lucky enough to live in the mountains, this is a worthwhile investment for any keen skier. The machine looks like it will last forever, so the cost over time diminishes if you keep using it. It's also a good workout for any time of year.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a few minutes on one at Profeet in London - it felt good. Asked about the price and was shocked! Shocked But I can see the long term benefits even if my accountant insists it's not tax deductable...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster, how much do the skiers edge machines cost? I believe you can get different versions of it too an idea on the different prices?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, yeah, the cost is what made me think about it for a good few years! You have to think of it as a long term investment and make sure you actually use it. You see the odd one for sale on ebay, so might be worth looking there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anything that Graham Bell has anything to do with is bound to cost a lot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, which bindings did you use Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skir67, I can't remember exactly, but roughly £1000. There are 3 versions - classic, big mountain and world cup. I thought the classic version was a bit too easy, so I went for the big mountain version which is taller and allows more angulation. The world cup version is even more aggressive and aimed at race training. I don't think there was much difference in price between the classic and big mountain models. There are also loads of expensive accessories which I thought were unnecessary for basic fitness training.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G,
Quote:

I had a few minutes on one at Profeet in London - it felt good. Asked about the price and was shocked!
Ditto. I'd love to have one, but too expensive and also there's nowhere suitable in my house to keep it. I've been trying to persuade the owner of my gym (who's a very keen skier, an Austrian who learned to ski as a small child) to buy one for the gym, but so far without success!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, does he have a PowerPlate yet?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, absolutely - three of them. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, are you -sure- he's really Austrian?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, yes (the fact that he's called Klaus is a clue that he isn't English) or maybe only half-Austrian, and he's lived in the UK since he was very young.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, sounds like a German and a Turk had a baby in Austria then promptly moved to the UK to me. wink

I mean, sheesh 3 PowerPlates and no SkiersEdge rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:
Hurtle, sounds like a German and a Turk had a baby in Austria then promptly moved to the UK to me. wink

I mean, sheesh 3 PowerPlates and no SkiersEdge rolling eyes
what's this poor guy's lineage got to do with PowerPlate, let alone Skiers Edge? This gym doesn't cater for many skiers, by the way - gym membership is cheap and the clientele is not particularly well-heeled, on average.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, <sigh> pay no mind, if one has to explain teh funnies...
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, Shocked blimey knew they were pricey, but that seems somewhat over the top, guess I'll have to wait for a windfall from somewhere, do they tend to hold their value when they come up on ebay?
ski holidays
skir67, I don't know, I never found one when I was actually looking. But I would imagine they do hold their value quite well. I got mine at the ski show with a small discount (10% I think).

They're no more expensive than quality rowing machines or other commercial gym equipment. In terms of parts, it wouldn't cost very much (maybe £100 in materials), but it would take a bit of effort to fabricate it. It's an effective piece of kit, so you're paying for the concept and low volume production. If money is tight, there are far more important things to spend £1K on, but if you can comfortably afford it and want to arrive at the slopes in better condition, it's worth considering.
snow report
I have a price list that is about three years old they start at £950 and go up to £1420 for a complete kit, plus posting about £45.
ski holidays
clive5, thats just ridiculous, i mean you can spend up to £1420 on something yet they still have the cheek to charge £45 for you to get it!!!!!
snow report
clive5, You really don't need the complete kit. The basic machine is fine on its own. Even the rep at the show advised me not to bother with the various add-on accessories.
ski holidays
Zero-G, I'm hiring one for the last 2 weeks before going to Banff. Currently spending an hour at 85%hr on a cross trainer, but feel the Skiers Edge will further help increase the still needed stamina..
ski holidays
For £1500 I belive I could go skiing. That's pretty good training for skiing, in my experience...
snow conditions
This is costing £140 for the fortnight, and I believe (hope!) that it will prove to be a very good investment prior to hitting the slopes.
snow conditions
ski-bums wrote:
This is costing £140 for the fortnight, and I believe (hope!) that it will prove to be a very good investment prior to hitting the slopes.

Fair enough. I used to drag the family to Tamworth a couple or so times before a hol, at about £50+ a trip.

Let us know if it makes much difference, ski-bums.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
For £1500 I belive I could go skiing. That's pretty good training for skiing, in my experience...

Great idea except my skiing is limited by time off work rather than money. Unfortunately the cash saving isn't going to increase my time on the slopes. So I want to rock up there as fit as possible.

For fitness training I'm finding it far more effective than a couple of token trips to Tamworth, where you might get as much skiing action in as your first warm up run in resort. At least on the trainer you can bang out thousands of turns, limited only by your fitness and boredom threshold.
snow conditions
ski-bums wrote:

From experience, I'd say a fortnight is not really enough. But as you've been on the cross trainer it might make a useful difference if you hit it pretty hard. But I reckon you need a month on it to really get the most benefit.
latest report
The skiers edge is relatively cheap but it's the 56" flat screen to put on the wall so I can pretend I'm actually skiing which cost a bit. I've also found that a couple fans and some polystyrene out of a bean bag works great for those powder days.

The other day I took a tumble and lost a ski under the sofa. I'm going to crank my bindings up before I go skiing again.

The next thing is a large ceiling mounted fan to simulate heli-skiing.

Anyone else got any suggestions.
latest report
skir67 wrote:
uktrailmonster, Shocked blimey knew they were pricey, but that seems somewhat over the top

True,not cheap.Over the top? well,that's one point of view.I bought one about 5yrs ago when GB had not long started to sell them.Has had loads of use...and still looks as if it just came out of the box.Bombproof.Short of taking a sledgehammer to it I fail to see how you could damage it.Will most definitely outlast my skiing days.So,in terms of life cost,its cheap.Effective?Its ski specific,good aerobic,but just as boring as any other machine.But it certainly gets to the legs(and the heart & lungs)if you drive it hard so,all in all,I consider it a good investment.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dme wrote:

Anyone else got any suggestions.

Yeah, don't give up your day job to become a comedian. A clown maybe, but defo not a comedian.
snow report
uktrailmonster, calm down old boy - shouldn't you be skiing in your front room
latest report
uktrailmonster, you using that thing one-footed yet?
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, agreed - they are very good - but now I seem to use going out on the bike as an excuse not to use it Embarassed
ski holidays
dme wrote:
uktrailmonster, calm down old boy - shouldn't you be skiing in your front room

Shouldn't you be lurking under a bridge with the other trolls?
snow report
comprex wrote:
uktrailmonster, you using that thing one-footed yet?

Not tried that yet. Might give it a go tonight.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
uktrailmonster, agreed - they are very good - but now I seem to use going out on the bike as an excuse not to use it Embarassed

Don't you find the bike exercises slightly different muscle groups? Obviously great for general fitness, but I'm finding there isn't that much crossover between biking and skiing fitness. Or at least not as much as I had imagined. I was as strong as I've ever been on my last ski trip (thanks to the SE), yet I'm slow on the mountain bike at the moment. So there must be different things going on there. But mountain biking still forms my main year round fitness regime. I'm not a big fan of the gym, but I'm finding the SE very useful for building up those specific ski muscle groups. I've got a bike machine too, which not surprisingly increases my bike fitness too. Interestingly I've spent zero time on it since I got the SE late last year, so maybe that's why I'm now slower on the mountain bike? I wonder if it's possible to be good at both at the same time Puzzled
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, I agree - no abductor/adductor benefit at all on the bike. But I find I would rather spend 2 hours on the bike in mud than 1 hour on a rowing machine and the SE in a warm room even watching videos with a glass of red wine...

Must use it tonight...
ski holidays
The Skiers Edge is no longer coming to me.. Sad The transportation - I'm well out in the sticks - was much more than the cost of the machine for a fortnights hire.
Received the DVD from skiersedge.co.uk this morning, and think I saw myself in one of the 'It will help cure this' skiing moments Embarassed
That alone may yet spur me on to save up for one in the future but for now its back to lunges, squats and the Cross trainer for the weeks remaining before I see the slopes. rolling eyes
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Oh yeah, mountain biking is far more fun. The SE is nothing more than a means to an end for ski specific training. I very much doubt I'll use it at all over the summer months.
snow conditions
ski-bums, That's a shame. At least lunges and squats are free!
latest report
Get some roller blades like that old boy who got done for causing a nuisance. Lots of similarities there. In all honesty though if you're skiing 10 or so weeks a year you can forego that first week and just put it down to getting fit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy