Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you ever shared a T bar with a stranger?

Poster: A snowHead
There I was minding my own business, waiting for my turn to get on the T bar on the Stubi Glacier, I was just about to pull away when this Austrian bloke jumps on to the other side.

In the course of the short journey that we undertook together he introduced himself, finished off the plastic cup of gluvine( not sure about the spelling) he had been drinking, made a phone call on his mobile phone, then we had conversation about the pro`s and con`s of British and Austrian mental health care, which I know nothing about.

Does anybody have other bizarre stories about being with strangers on T bars or it just me Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there is a queue, then I'll ride a T-bar with anyone who is over about 5'2". Have met an English guy who it turned out went to the same school as me, a number of locals who are happy to chat about anything and everything, and a lot of people I've just not spoken to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frequently. Usually I start conversation with an inane remark about the weather but it can develop from there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bargainbill wrote:
then we had conversation about the pro`s and con`s of British and Austrian mental health care, which I know nothing about.

I think it might have been stanton.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was going onto a T-bar in Tignes and paired up with a stranger. By the mid point of the journey I had realised that he was a snowHead!! You just can't get away from them snowHead .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The only conversation I have with strangers on a T bar is "droite ou gauche?" Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So far managed to ever avoid getting on one so no Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went skiing in Saas Fee in the summer for a day, shared the t-bar with many of the race team members who were training on the glacier, they were all very happy to chat.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You rightly earn somewhere between dirty looks & physical violence if you don't share the T-bar at the weekend in Scotland. This is especially true for boarders, who should be actively seeking single skiers in the queue. (Pig...flying...where). I've had many a pleasant chat on a T-bar, and try to remember to apologize if using my phone. Not sure I can drink & use my phone simultaneously & comfortably on a T-bar yet, must try harder.

Fave sharer so far was a stunning Polish lady (aged abt 22), definitely initiated conversation there, once I stopped drooling. Also remember a long conversation with a reasonably elderly bloke skiing in a wooly jumper. It was flowing so well and we were enjoying skiing in the sun so much that we got on a 2nd T-bar & then did a couple of runs together. Worst was the Russian who attempted to reverse onto my already travelling T-bar, having just fallen off, only to land us both on the deck - & a telling off from ski patrol into the bargain!

They are easier with 2 people on them, as long as 1 of you knows what you are doing and you are roughly the same height.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guilty confession. I once had a very brief conversation with a stranger on a T-bar. The queues were massive and I noticed that a lot of people were hopping on further up if they saw someone riding solo. I thought, "How hard can it be?". In my defence the victim I chose was on his mobile and not paying attention at all.
I mounted smoothly and skillfully I thought. He fell of like a sack of potatoes. I said I was sorry, and he swore in Italian as I faded into the distance.
At the top I removed my hat, changed shades for goggles and went to ski somewhere else!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrsfatcontroller managed to avoid this issue on her first T-bar by thinking it was a button and placing it between her legs........Life has been a disappointment since Embarassed Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
espri wrote:
Frequently. Usually I start conversation with an inane remark about the weather but it can develop from there.

A typical English thing to do. We (English) know talking about the weather is the opener for a conversation but some central europeans will tend to believe we only want to talk about the weather. Non-english can also become bemused when we continually change the subject. A German workmate tells me that when a German talks about the weather it indicates that they don't want to talk about anything else. Interesting how different cultures work.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think its really nice and sweet to share a t-bar/chairlift with a stranger/strangers - you can end up with someone quite interesting; not to mention good-looking (purring now!).

I once shared a chairlift in Selva with a Carabinieri.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 2-02-09 11:27; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shared a T-Bar with another very big bloke once. The rope snapped and the T-bar became and L-Bar. He was very strange....but I knew him well Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JulesB wrote:
I mounted smoothly and skillfully I thought. He fell of like a sack of potatoes. I said I was sorry, and he swore in Italian as I faded into the distance.
At the top I removed my hat, changed shades for goggles and went to ski somewhere else!

I just spat coffee out while reading your post. Excellent!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
JulesB, Laughing My son can't understand why I'm laughing at a laptop!! Laughing
ski holidays
JulesB wrote:
Guilty confession. I once had a very brief conversation with a stranger on a T-bar. The queues were massive and I noticed that a lot of people were hopping on further up if they saw someone riding solo. I thought, "How hard can it be?". In my defence the victim I chose was on his mobile and not paying attention at all.

...and he finally caught up with you in Sere Chevalier? Toofy Grin

Hope you're doing well BTW.
snow report
laundryman, I thought I'd heard that voice before!
ski holidays
JulesB, Laughing Laughing I remember folsk doing that, some even had 4 on a Tbar Shocked

When riding solo and any gnarly twin tip dude tried to sneak on with me, I was amazed how universally understood are a pointed finger and a shout of "NO, DON'T YOU F******* DARE"
ski holidays
LDA I shared a T bar at the top with a snowboarder. Immediately after we'd got going I said "I hope you're a good snowboarder" and was mildly surprised to get the response "Yeah, I'm pretty good actually". He was, we had a bit of a chat, parted ways at the top perfectly.

We still write occassionally. He's godfather to my daugter. Not all or any of this paragraph is true.
latest report
why wouldn't you share a t-bar with anyone who was going up..?

Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Shared a T-Bar with another very big bloke once. The rope snapped and the T-bar became and L-Bar. He was very strange....

remember that...I think we felt it go as we were right behind you..?????
ski holidays
JT, If you were behind us then that wouldn't be all you felt go. It was in a lesson with easiski. She could barely stand for laughing. It would have made us a fortune had it been captured on video.
snow report
In an Austrian ski lesson once we were all put on the T bar with strong locals - the ski instructor said it would be a disaster if we fell off, because the lift went a long way from the piste, and was very steep, so he needed us all to arrive at the top. The guy I was put on with managed to keep us both on the lift when I would definitely have fallen if I'd been on my own. It was the first T bar I'd ever ridden, and nothing like those nice gentle ones on the glacier at Tignes.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Shared a T-Bar with another very big bloke once. The rope snapped and the T-bar became and L-Bar. He was very strange....but I knew him well Madeye-Smiley
Based on last week, he's still not keen on them... wink

Shared one with Jamie the (Female and very nice) Dutch instructor last week. She thought my hat was cool, and even told everyone with no (Ok, little...) prompting at the top. Cool NehNeh
snow report
Yup, shared one with a huge Russian chap in Saalbach. He was of the 'John Wayne stance' variety, i.e. rode up with his legs wide apart, which kept pushing my skis over to the point I was losing balance. Decided to put a stop to that (all 5'4" of me) and planted my skis directly under my hips, using all my strength to keep them there. That's when our boot buckles got caught and we had a few frantic moments trying to disengage them as we neared the point where you have to get off.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, JulesB, Brilliant, just brilliant. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
very recently at Tignes, I was halfway up when a local kid doing race training hopped on in great style and with great control. He was only about 12 but was very entertaining and a complete extrovert and will undoubtedly become a real charmer. At the top he thanked me for letting me share the lift, told me that my hat was cool and then shouted to all his mates that I was "une femme tres sympa". He was a credit to the local race team he was training with.
snow conditions
Third week on a board and I'm playing around on the bunny slopes in Livigno and I'd pretty much cracked 't'bars to the point where I could olly up and ride the bar still clipped in (lifties in Livigno didn't care). As I got to the bar, a school of tots was ushered through the crowd and I found myself partnered with begoggled smurf that didn't even reach my waist . . . lifty grinned and and thrust the bar under the anklebiter's rump, the clutch bites and the other half of the bar smacks into my trailing leg knee . . which promptly collapses and I flip backwards. How the hell I didn't slice the wee snotmuncher in half with the board I don't know. Next I find that somehow I've the bar caught behind my front heel and I'm being dragged up on my back with my clothes around my ears . . . f'in' painful Evil or Very Mad . . . and all I can see is the little s**t looking round and grinning at me . . . 100 meters later, liftie at the top stopped the drag and let me untangle, much to the amusement of the nursery crowds Embarassed

I was still picking scabs off my back three weeks later Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Laughing
snow report
Masque, Laughing Brilliant!
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
bargainbill wrote:
then we had conversation about the pro`s and con`s of British and Austrian mental health care, which I know nothing about.

I think it might have been stanton.

In a Queue, anyone who rides a T Bar single should be neutralised Very Happy

When you try the 5 person Roca Jack T Bar in Portillo, Chile the conversation becomes a lot more interesting Very Happy
ski holidays
I don't know if thread instills much confidence - I shall be riding my first T bars over the half term in another 10 days or so!!!
snow report
Masque, Laughing
latest report
When I started skiing back in the eighties, it was a badge of honour among us teenagers that we could dance while on t-bars. I don't remember ever falling off, which considering how bad my dancing is...
snow report
I've never tried dancing, but on a T-bar with a flat section, it;s fun to try and swap places with the person you're sharing with!
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, Shocked Remind me never to share a T-bar with you. Do you do this on a board? Shocked Shocked If so, I hope you have a large government health warning pinned on your chest!
latest report
Hurtle, Laughing You've obviously not seen me board. On a board I am hanging on for dear life and praying that I get to the top in one go!
snow report
Told this one many times, but what the hell! !st time on a Tbar was in Kitzbuehl(sp) attractive lady asks if I had ever been on 1 before. When she learns that I haven't she said "Just do what I do ". As it started she did a backflip leaving me on my own. I decided that I couldn't possibly be expected to do that on my 1st go so clung on for dear life. I had no idea what to do when I got to the top so I just threw myself to the ground and let the lifty stop the lift. I'm sure I was blessed by many fellow travellers that day!
latest report
I remember getting on one as a teenager in Scotland and a massive old local fella getting on who must have weighed twice what I did. He was was another "John Wayne" school of T-barrers and in just trying to stay on the lift I was in absolute agony trying not to fall over. I made it to the top but had to have a sit down while my screaming muscles recovered.

There's something about sharing a T-Bar with a stranger that invokes that British on holiday mentality of being able to small talk with anybody, regardless of whether they wish to or not. Always served me well until a Quebecoise lady just blabbered French at me for the entire ride while I tried my best in pidgin french (which sucks in France let alone Canada).

I can honestly say I've never fallen off a T-Bar, but have been knocked out by a push button poma. Two of the arms had gotten wrapped around one another and in taking the first one I was actually taking the second - when I pushed the button the "true" first one swung around and caught me square in the temple, not nice.
snow report
And we ride lifts for fun? Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy