Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How far is a typical downhill event?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have tried searching this on the forum and also on the interweb but haven't found any kind of information.

I have skied plenty of areas including some of the world cup/ olympic areas but i was wondering whilst watching ski sunday earlier, how far do the racers actually travel in a typical event.

For instance in Sestriere did the race in the olympics 06 go from the very top of the main mountain above the village, i think it is called Sises, right the way into the village base of the piste?

I have never actually been in a resort when there is an event on and from watching on TV you cant really get an idea of the position on the pistes.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ianbradders,

Dunno the distance, but did the downhill in Val Gardena in 4m 20s. Bode does it in about 1m 50s
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Lauberhorn (Wengen) is the longest at around 4.5 km.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the vertical drop is specified, not the length of the course. IIRC it is something like 900-1200m vertical.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, good going from you, i guess you were not hanging about.

makes you really appreciate the power and skill of these guys and gals.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ianbradders,

Could have gone alot faster, but too dangerous with other folf on the piste, that and the lack of skill Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
I think the vertical drop is specified, not the length of the course. IIRC it is something like 900-1200m vertical.

In the FIS web site there are details of all course which have been homologated (I think that means accepted as meeting FIS standards for races). There, indeed, the length is not given, only start and finish height. E.g., for Kitzbühel http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/disciplines/alpineskiing/homologations.html?homid=105&type=DET.

The Hahnenkamm web site gives the details for the Kitzbühel course. The Streif is 3312 metres long. http://www.hahnenkamm.com/cms/en/winners_courses/race_slopes/index.html. By the time I reach the bottom, I've usually forgotten when it was I started Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:

You're right, except that it is 800m - 1100m for World cup and other similar level races (750m in "exceptional circumstances).

For women's races it is 450-800m

But the course length, although not specified, does have to be measured, and included in the results list (On the FIS website, you need to look at the PDF file, it isn't shown on the main web results.).

Kitzbuhel this year was 3312m (vertical drop 860m)
Wengen was 4490m, vertical drop 1028
Bormio was 3200, Vertical drop 965
Val Gardena was 3121, Vertical drop 757 (one of those "exceptional circumstances)

Lake Louise (Ladies) 2463m, Vertical drop 619m
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy