Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Im a complete beginner at skiing and looking at going within Europe for a week in March.

I have read a few articles and it seems the best places for beginners are Austria or Andorra, would you agree?
Any previous experience of resorts/hotels ideal for beginners?

Also I think it will be financially beneficial if I rent ski wear, any recomendations of places?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Georgy,
there are already many threads with questions and answers to the info you are seeking. Have a go at finding your way around and do some forum searches (see top) and you will find all you need and more, I promise. Welcome and let us know how you get on Smile .
Aneira
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Georgy, Welcome to SnowHeads!

You're in luck if you fancy joining a group because there is just one total beginner space left on the the trip I am jointly organising to les Deux Alpes 7th March. See http://easiski.com/SpecialCourses.html and also there is a link in my signature to the thread about it.

I don't know about renting ski wear. Have you been to TK Maxx? You might find you can buy salopettes/jacket for not much more than you'd pay to rent them - they have some fab bargains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies.

I have done a few searches and found some good information.

I've found a good deal for a hotel in Kuhtai, I have read this would be a good beginners location. Anyone any experience of the area or the Alpenresidenz Mooshaus hotel?

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Georgy, Try Decathlon for gear... seems reasonably priced and probably not much more expensive than renting.

As for resorts, I learnt in La Rosiere (which was a great place for beginners) but recently spent a day in Cortina (as part of a trip to the Dolomites) and thought that Cortina seemed like a fabulous places for beginners.

Having said all that, I think most places have the potential to suit most people, regardless of what level you are. If you are a beginner, there will be ski schools wherever you go - they will take you to all the suitable places.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Georgy, hello. Many (most) resorts are fine for beginners, but Austria tends to have the sort of ambience new skiers (and old skiers) expect; pretty, loads of piste side boozers, lots of below ski line skiing and dumplings for lunch. What more could anyone want? And it's one of the cheaper Euro countries at the moment. All the foregoing are huge generalisations, obviously, and you shouldn't limit your horizons too much.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks again.

Just a couple more questions, im very close to booking now Laughing

Is is best to get a Lift pass in advance or get one when i get there. Also same with ski, pole and boot rental?

Cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I took daughter to learn at Livgno
ok the bus trip is long from airport but the nursery slopes are right in village
the lessons were only half day sessions so not too taxing
after 4 days daughter was up top of mountain with me trying out the long blues of Costaccio
the lift guys were helpful when we chaired back down to miss out the red run
and with the bus service round the village we went across and tried Mottolina on the final day withits 7km blue run
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Georgy, it seems that you may get a better deal hiring skis and boots on line before you go. If you go with a TO, they may offer a hire package which could be good value.

So far as lift passes are concerned, many resorts have free or cheap lifts for beginners. You may find that you use only these lifts for a few days, so a full pass for the week would not be good value. Certainly, in a large ski area you may want a limited pass rather than the full area pass. I'd wait until you get there and take advice from the TO rep (with a pinch of salt, as half of them don't know which way is up and even if they do, they may be on commission to sell passes) or from the ski school. There's little or no financial benefit to buying a pass in advance anywhere in Europe that I know of. TO 'book in advance' passes tend to be no cheaper than buying when you're there, although it might avoid a small amount of hassle.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Georgy,
In terms of passes, might be best to wait till you get there, whereever you choose like richmond, says. My first week [and I was pretty rubbish] I think I survived on Kitzbuhel punch card lift passes until about the last day.

Hope you have a fab time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Georgy,

Would highly recommend Passo Tonale in Italy. Reasonably cheap, high, good snow record, loads of wide open blue pistes and a lovely 4.5 Km easy blue for confidence building served by a fast chair. Not the prettiest resort, but I have been twice and will go again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Georgy, in terms of ski wear, look at what you already have, can borrow off mates, or get hold of cheaply. You can spend £1000s on ski wear, but on the other hand, if you already have some stuff you can use!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lift pass- many resorts have a range of free lifts for beginners so until you know if this is the case don't go buying a week's pass when you may only need a few days' worth.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You should not forget France. It has many great resorts for beginners (a few here http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/learn-to-ski.htm but many more to choose from with other companies). For ski wear what you can always do is buy stuff that you can use at home in winter without looking stupid (winter jackets, gloves always come in handy if they are not in certain colours favoured by pure ski wear) - a bit harder for ski bottoms though. Decathlon is definitely a great value outlet for France but you need to find one near enough where you are going. They are only near biggish towns.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are a few Decathlon stores in UK. Don't know where you are, so this may not help.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/

snowHead
latest report
Get to tescos, i got kitted out last year with Ski jacket and salapettes for £55
they had socks gloeves hats the lot all reduced during Feb
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy