Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mission topsheets delaminating

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my Scott Missions just over a year ago and they have seen a total of three weeks of snow. This last week, the top sheets on both skis started to delaminate at the tips. I don't recall colliding with anything substantial, and there doesn't appear to be any evidence of damage in the region of the delamination. The guides I was skiing with have seen similar delamination on Missions. While I was away, I patched them up with Araldite to prevent further deterioration, but I'm not happy with my repair and I'm not confident the delamination will not continue to get worse.

Do any Snowheads have similar experience? Is Scott liable for a manufacturing defect?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take them back to the shop and complain. I wouldn't be happy with that after 3 weeks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
duncan, Met someone last week who was on his 3rd set since Mar 08 with this same problems. Not good
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
duncan, by patching them up with araldite you may have just invalidated any claim you had, when i see a ski for warranty inspection i want to see the ski in the condition it is in, i need to see if there is impact damage to the ski and if there is glue smeared all over it i have to make the assumption that you are trying to hide something...sorry to say it..... but the correc thing to do would be to take the ski to a Scott dealer and have them inspect it , at that point they can give you a report saying that there is a delam without impact and either replace the ski for you or give you a report in writing to take to the dealer you bought them from

uktrailmonster, no point complaining to the shop, best aproach is to take them back and politely ask what they can do...... although the customers contract is with the shop, the ski is technically over 1 year old, [not sure whats Scotts warranty is] the shop will then send them to Scott for inspection, they may if it is a recognised batch fault replace them on the spot, but it is unlikely as there is a risk that scott may not replace the ski for them.
jumping up and down gets you no where
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
duncan, if they laugh at you at the scott dealer, time to rivet her up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, As Head ended up doing... wink

I told the guy on his 3rd pr to do that...but he was happy to go back to the shop again.. If he likes the skis so much, he will probably have to do that in the end anyway..
And he was sure it wasn't impact damage at all...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, I didn't say he had to jump up and down, you can complain politely too. If Scott's warranty is only 1 year I guess legally they have no responsibility, but you'd think they might still honour their warranty if it's only just over a year and there is a clear defect. I'd also expect the shop who sold them to deal with the claim if they wanted any future business. Skis are not cheap, you'd expect them to stay together a bit longer than 3 weeks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't say anything for that particular problem, but on this years model, they have put that crazy corrugated type of plastic on the topsheet. (the type that you can make 'holographs' with).

After only 2 weeks, they're are all scratched up! Shock
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
touch wood no issues with mine (3 or 4 seasons old now...)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, if you can touch the wood, it could be too late for araldite Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster, if it is a known fault then they probably would replace the ski, and the shop that sold them yes should deal with the claim.....but if Scott says no then the shop is in a tough place.... what should they do then?? it is the fact that a repair has been atempted that may jepordise the claim
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fergus, hubby's 2006 ones have the same top sheet. The reason? They were a pair designed as demo skis. Should be harder wearing than the normal topsheet though. He's had no probvlems with his, and I think got them about the same time as kitenski and several other SnowHeads did.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fergus, that'll be lenticulars then Very Happy

That was one thing that annoyed me about my Fischer AMC79s when i had them... great ski to ski, but the top sheet scuffed very easy due to the lenticular lens on top.

IF it's a known fault to the manufacturer, then going by the "code of good karma" i'd like a replacement Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
uktrailmonster, if it is a known fault then they probably would replace the ski, and the shop that sold them yes should deal with the claim.....but if Scott says no then the shop is in a tough place.... what should they do then?? it is the fact that a repair has been atempted that may jepordise the claim

Depends on the type of shop (small family business, big chain store, internet discount warehouse). The appropriate response could be anything from "tough luck matey" to "have another pair on us". If you don't ask.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I bought the skis from Lockwoods and, since I only returned from Engelberg on Saturday night, I've not had a chance to contact them yet - they are closed on Monday. I tried emailing Scott (customer service in Switzerland) but no response yet ( . . . and no surprise!)

CEM, I appreciate your comments about possibly invalidating the warranty, but if I had not patched them up, I would not dared to have used the skis any more without risking further delamination, and potentially even more damage - caught on a cleft stick!

I'll post whatever response I get from Lockwoods.
snow report
duncan, Lockwoods are a good company - let us know their response. I have skied my Missions for 7 weeks - no sign of delamination - so it doesn't appear to be generic problem.
snow conditions
JT, been doing that to -all- my personal skis over 120 tip width for years, using Volkl, Elan, and Dynastar bits.
latest report
I skied with someone last year who had exactly this problem. IIRC, he was sorted out by the shop without too much grief, although they had to source a pair from another resort, which took several days. Sounded like fair play at the time.
ski holidays
UPDATE: I returned my skis to Lockwoods and within three working days a brand new pair of Missions had been delivered to Lockwoods and they now await my collection. Big thanks to John Backhouse at Lockwoods for putting my case to Scott, and thanks to Scott for replacing the skis free of charge and without quibble. Exellent service all round!
snow conditions
Nice one. Lockwoods is a good shop.
snow report
Mine were on their seventh week when this happened last Friday. I bought them via the internet from a shop in Portsmouth and I've phoned to tell them, but can't easily get them back to the shop. The Scott rep is going to call me - it will be interesting what they do, because I really don't like the new graphics with the hand prints. Sad
snow report
Wow!! Your ski has delaminated much, much worse than mine did, but only one ski seems to have suffered - both my skis started to go. Mine were the same year as yours - maybe a processing error that year? If Scott do decide to replace them for you (and why shouldn't they - they changed mine) you may be relieved to know that they don't have any more of the 08/09 hand print graphics ... so in March this year I was skiing on new Missions with next year's 09/10 graphics (they are mostly black with wavy blue and orange lines, since you asked, and way better than the brown graphics on our failed skis).
Good Luck!
latest report
RachelQ, shoulda bought Icelantics wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, most people come round to that idea... Laughing
snow report
Interesting to see these problems (which I'd associate with the 1970s) occurring in the 21st century.

The volume production of skis using fibreglass began around 1962.

CEM, I think you're taking a hard line here. Is a ski of merchantable quality if it can't take an impact at the tip? The glues should maintain its integrity shouldn't they?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, there is glue and glue... and maybe that is a place you can cut costs
ski holidays
Question from another Missions owner - how important is the top sheet? Is it just there to protect the graphics?
snow report
Well, what a result. Very Happy Yesterday I called Sound Skis in Plymouth, which is where I'd bought them over the internet. They asked me to return them, which I said was a problem for me, so they organized for the Scott rep to get in touch with me. Which he just did, asking me if I'd like them to be replaced, and he'll send a courier to collect them. The new skis aren't being imported till July since they're the 09/10 model, but from what he said on the phone, they sound very much like duncan described.

He asked me to remove the bindings, so I guess that means I'll have to get them remounted when I get the new skis, which is the only slight downside. But so far I'm pretty impressed with the service.

spyderjon, you know I tried them, but they just didn't feel right for me, even though I wanted them to cos they look so gnarly. Cool

JT, lucky we're all so different isn't it? Otherwise all skis would be the same. NehNeh

achilles, I'm not sure, it's quite thick. What I do know is that it's scary when it comes loose and starts flapping about on a steep off piste traverse.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, Looks like a good result form Scott. Very Happy
ski holidays
RachelQ,

I meant that I was very impressed with the quality of Icelantics and that that is a very good thing to have in skis. But I don't have a pair. Having said that, I would follow the ethos of companies that built better, even if there wasi/is a premium for that.

As you know, this isn't the first pr of MIssions to have this problem so it is a flaw which you can do without, IMV

Top marks for the way Scott are dealing with it tho... no-one I have heard of has had a problem getting replacements, so that is good.... but then if it happened in the middle of a holiday, I guess you be up for hiring ...so all in all...
a PITA.. IMHO.
ski holidays
JT, It does seem to be a Missions problem. Mine have had 9 weeks' use - so I am hoping they will be OK. I am really comfortable with them, and have absolutely no wish to change.
snow report
JT, yeah, I knew what you meant really, and I'm very glad it happened on the last day of my holiday so I didn't have the hassle of having to find something else.
I was just having a little dig at you because you always seem so anti the Missions, being punter skis and all that Very Happy
latest report
RachelQ, ha ha... I have never actually used that term myself but know what you mean.

I skied them once at the PSB and didn't like them at all but then again, I struggle on wide skis on piste anyway, so wide AND turney is just plain wrong for me. If I am going to ski on hardpack, then give me a hardpack ski and I'll be fine...
but give me a wide ski for off-piste..and I don't want them thinking turn all the time..it just makes them unstable. Just my take on things and I know plenty who love them.

And ALL those skiers who have had the problem...ALL...that I recall..wanted another Mission..none wanted a refund.
ski holidays
It looks like this may well be a generic problem with that model. One guy I was skiing with in March also had a ski start delaminating at the tip, similar to (but not quite as severe as) RachelQ's). Timely application of duct tape stopped the problem getting any worse. Not sure what he did with them when he got back.

I've also go a bit of delamination on the tail of my BD Kilowatts, but that's probably understandable after a bit of abuse on my part - clouted the tails in a couple of somersaults Embarassed
snow report
Scott will change them, this is a common defo' on the last years model.
snow report
GrahamN, to close the loop ... I was that man in Engelberg with the delaminating Missions and, as you can read above, now the satisfied owner of a pair of 09/10 Missions and they work just fine
ski holidays
RachelQ, Good news....but now you'll just have to add a bit of duck tape to the tip of the new ones to make you look proper gnarly again!
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
It looks like this may well be a generic problem with that model.

I think it's a specific batch from a specific year, older models seem fine.....
snow report
Guess what just got delivered to me at work Very Happy

Rather funky, the new graphics Toofy Grin
snow conditions
RachelQ, enjoy they look super. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy