Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort ideas...

Poster: A snowHead
I know it's almost the impossible question but humour me... Smile

I like to think I have some clue as to where is regarded as 'good' but thought I'd put it out there to you guys to make a few suggestions for a late-March (28th/29th) destination.

There are going to be five or six of us, all boarders ranging from total numpty to good intermediate - the numpty is prepared to throw himself down anything (or so he thinks) by the way Smile Several of us have been to a few big resorts in the past few years - PDS, Espace Killy and La Plagne - and they've all been good. The ample mix of open bowls and tree-lined runs were what we liked. We seem to like France but only because that's all we know. We're not averse to Austria, Switzerland, Andorra or even Italy. The US and Canada is out because of the long flights.

Mileage is pretty important - we prefer to do a run a few times rather than doing it all the time (unless it's something nice Smile ), hence why the resorts we've been to in the past have ticked the boxes. We just want to try somewhere new.

Shorter transfers are preferred - GVA to Val was a bit long. PDS was nice and easy but we know that low down and that late in the season we may not be blessed with great snow. A higher resort makes sense I suppose or at least a very good snow record for tat time of year. We're aiming to get a package but DIY options are something we're gonna think about, but the fact we have no navigational skills puts out a long drive.

Off-piste is essential, but not the mad freeride that you see in the movies. A bit of inbetween runs will be fine, or some tree boarding.

Drags are a no-no with a beginner being in the group. We're used to chairs and cable cars.

We have our own gear so no need for a good selection of hire shops.

Good value eating both on the slopes and in the resorts is always going to be a hard box to tick, so we recognise that wherever we go under the Euro will be expensive, but it would be nice, preferably in resorts. We can do sarnies for the slopes.

We've never been in it for the nightlife - it's al about the boarding for us - but we would like at least a few pubs to go to to chill out. It's not a drinking break though.

There are a few resorts we've shortlisted so far:

ADH - lots of good reports and the fact there's a lot of miles to be covered, it's high and has a good mix of open and tree runs makes it suitable.

LDA - same as above really, although I think La Grave will have to wait this time Smile

Espace Killy - loved it but it is expensive an that's one thing against it.

Milky Way - massive area but have been told that getting around is a bit pants because of ancient lifts - is this right? Also, does it have good snow generally because it's high?

Nassfeld - Short transfer and a good area but will the low height mean less snow? Looks a good set-up though.

St Anton - Have heard amazing reports that it's possibly the best resort in Europe. Party atmosphere sounds awesome but not important. Is Austria expensive?

Ischgl - Good area, apparently reliable snow and someone said it's fairly good value.

Mayrhofen - Mates go there for Snowbombing and reckon it's amazing but with there being several base station spread around, is it a pain getting bussed around?

We're really leaning to ADH or LDA because A)it's France, and B) they have the varied terrain we're after. Are we overlooking some really good destinations that fit the bill better?

Cheers in advance

Spesh Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman wrote:
late-March (28th/29th)...

PDS was nice and easy but we know that low down and that late in the season we may not be blessed with great snow.

Milky Way - massive area but have been told that getting around is a bit pants because of ancient lifts - is this right? Also, does it have good snow generally because it's high?

Late March isn't that late in the season. The bottom of Morzine won't be great, but anything about 1300/1400m will be fine - so just stay with a chalet that drives you to Ardent in the morning.

The Milky Way is waaaay more marginal than PDS at the end of March. Avoid.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, Must jump to recommend ADH. Wide area to ski and lots of variety. Transfer is easy from either grenoble or chambery. I am aware of a bus that runs to LDA and ADH from grenoble and the transfer is less than 2 hours. The town is really nice with a wide range of eating choices. If your going on the cheap i must recommend either ours blanc or les berges apartments, the latter is slope adjacent which is nice. Also there is some really nice off piste over near Vaujany and Montfrais. Look for a blue run called "edelweiss" and you wont be dissapointed with the off piste terrain around there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl is one of the most expensive resorts in Austria, along with Lech and Serfaus. However all three are also supposed to be outstanding, so in that sense could perhaps be said to offer value for money. Obertauern has almost no drag lifts which might appeal to boarders and the lift system is awesomely fast (snow is very reliable too but not many tree lined runs).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
The Milky Way is waaaay more marginal than PDS at the end of March. Avoid.

Avoided then Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know it's not on your short list yet but have you ruled out the "Grand Massif"??

For the past 5 years it's had a better snow record than Les Arc, Trois Valleys and Espace Killy (excluding the Glacier)...

As for size; 4th largest in the world (265km pistes)

Transfer time; less than an hour!!

If that gives you some food for thought then check us out; www.kandmchalets.co.uk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, just had a look at the GM website and didn't realise that the area was so extensive. Had read about Flaine (and had heard of Samoens and Sixt) but it didn't click that they were one huge area. The short transfer time looks good, it's in France and there's enough varied terrain from the look of it to keep us happy. May have to investigate this a little further...

scrubyjoe, ADH is deffo one that like the sound of. So many folk on here can't recommend it enough it seems Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, would second marcellus, on his Grand Massif recommendation. The big bowl at Flaine looked like it could have tempted even me into learning to board, it was so nice and flat. Not too many drags, nice open pistes, and if you want to have wonderful daytrip try the cascades run. The Samoens, Sixt, Les Carroz and Morillon side all look really pretty too. It was our first trip there and I really liked it. Were totally mean, and stayed in, but there were a few bars down at Flaine Forum which looked the part.

Not bad for a pretty committed Serre Che fan, but TBH it is a big LOOOONG transfer from Geneva. But great resort. Nearer Chambery or Turin. Lots of treeline and offpiste that isn't scary. Only about 30 mins or so on from ADH.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MarjMJ, Agree with Serre Chevalier could be added to that list. Ticks all the boxes for the skiing. It use to have a reputation for lots of drag lifts, but there is only one that is important. It isn't that bad.

Montgenevre and Claviere end of the Milky Way are prodominatly new lifts. Sauze d'Oulx is the place to avoid, due to being the area recieving least snow and still having ancient lifts. The Milky Way at the moment has a lot of snow, it is relatively high aswell.

Both these areas are under 2 hours from Turin Airport.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, Flaine/Grand Massif.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman, We have some availability still for the 29th March in Chalet Irene in ADH. We are happy to offer discounts to fellow snowheads so please have a look at our website and get in touch if you are interested. Catered chalets (particularly at the moment with the strength of the Euro) can actually work out to be quite a cost effective way of skiing this season! snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, Do what your told and go to ADH Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, Grand Massif is definitely a consideration, as is ADH - you've bullied me into that Smile Smile

What about somewhere like Kitzbuhel - any good? Seem to be some good prices and Austria might be a nice change.

Decision, decisions Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from the Dolomites. Stayed in Moena. Incredible place, the dolomiti superski pass covers a enourmous area, the scenery iforms the best mountain views in europe, the food and wine is amazing and cheap and best of all no whinging english speakers. Very Italian.

Didn't think I would enjoy it as much but it was brilliant.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
killian, wht were the links like between ski areas? I know the Superski area is massive but we don't want to be bussing ourselves around all the time.
latest report
Specialman, Of your initial list, I would have suggested Mayrhofen, but then it is the only oe I've been to Smile

I would be a little wary of the Dolomites that late in the season, because they aren't particularly high, although they do have excllent snow making.

But if you do go there, the links between Campitello, Canazei, Arabba, Corvara, Colfosco, Selva are all skiable without any buses, but you will need buses to reach any other areas, or to reach that central area if not staying in one of those towns/villages (plus a few smaller linked ones not mentioned).
latest report
Specialman wrote:
What about somewhere like Kitzbuhel - any good?

Too late for Kitzbuhel, I fear, unless freak weather conditions prevail. Good spot if you like slopeside pubs, dumplings, pretty runs and town centre, nothing too difficult on piste, decent off piste when the conditions are good (I've been told).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy